• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I won't shop at Canada Computers ever again

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So I decided on Sunday to do a major upgrade of the home desktop and went to Canada Computers on College at Spadina.

I knew what I wanted and came out with a new motherboard, cpu, some ram, a bigger power supply, a video card, yada yada, to the tune of 1700 bucks.

The sales guy was nice enough and said they had a seven day exchange policy (which is also printed on the invoice).

When I got back here to do the installation I found the motherboard was defective (it wouldn't even do a power on self test) so I went back with it today to exchange it. They were really reluctant to even talk about an exchange. They sent me to the back to the "technical guy" who looked at it and said he would talk to the manager.

The technical guy came back and said a sticker on the board was in the wrong place so obviously the board had been tampered with so they were not going to do an exchange. He explained that ASUS boards always have some sticker on the top of the board but on the board I bought the sticker was on the bottom so I was out of luck - too bad he said.

I never moved it or even noticed the sticker before, and in any case I pointed out that the sticker appeared new (no corners turned up, clean etc.). He said too bad.

My feeling is that they couldn't give a shit about what they sell you once you are out the door. I told him I would never buy anything from them again.

Luckily I paid for all this with my visa card so hopefully visa will be able to stop a portion of the payment that relates to the defective motherboard.

A WARNING ABOUT CANADA COMPUTERS - just because they have an exchange policy in writing, it doesn't mean they'll honour it.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
The last time I went to Canada Computers, I wanted to smash the dorks Dungeons and Dragons loving ass through the counter.

They started getting really belligerent and curt with me after asking them some reasonable questions.

...And that happened to me at two different locations.

twist

TRIBE Member
yup. good prices... but you buy it and it's crap...? teh sux for you. have heard many similar stories. Visa is good about crappy retailers. Should be able to recoup losses.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am also going to report them to the board manufacturer ASUS, because frankly, they are not doing anything to help their image.

twist

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
make sure to contact the BBB.
FUCKING A.

don't let skeezy compu-nerds fuck you around cause they know dick fucking squat about reality.

derek

TRIBE Member
call the manufacturer of the board too; let them know your dilema. maybe they will be more willing to help.

generally, when a sticker has been moved (and why on earth would you do it anyway, and what bearing does the sticker have on the operational capacity of the board) it is noticable. you would see trace amounts of cohesive where the sticker was.

what a bunch of jerks.

saskboy

TRIBE Member
I like Honson across the street. They don't try to compete on price (they are only slightly above average). They work at giving good service and have been on the street longer than anybody. They bent over backwards for my brother once.

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
I am also going to report them to the board manufacturer ASUS, because frankly, they are not doing anything to help their image.

oopps i was typing my post, as you posted this.

good idea.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
That's what you get for dealing with a bunch of nerdy Chinese guys.

Although, I bought a digicam from them a month ago....

echootje

TRIBE Member
Generally www.icct.ca has better prices (looking at 2 - 3$ difference :rolleyes: )and for the most part they seem like reasonable people. I have not had to return anyhing so far tho.

Rob

beaker

TRIBE Member
that sucks...

i bought a system from there with a defective video card but had no problems getting it replaced. maybe you got the white-guy treatment.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Everyone has a love/hate relationship with Canada Computers.
Best prices, but moronic sales people/owners.

I've slowly shifted my computer shopping to Filtech on Spadina.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
LAst time I went in there is was like pulling fucking teeth to get the guy to grab me what I came in to buy.

It's not like I was even asking him any questions, I just needed him to open the friggin glass case for me and hand me the product. Took me like 25 minutes for him to help me after me repeatedly asking. He was "busy" putting shit away. like WTF? That and he was pretty much yelling at another customer trying to get some questions answered.

They may have lower prices, but they suck ass from a customer service perspective, and in my experience, they never have the items they are selling "cheap" in stock...

deep

TRIBE Member
While Canada Computer's prices are usually the best, I've been reluctant to buy anything from them in the past because of hearing stuff like this (i.e. once you're out the door you're on your own).

It honestly sounds as though the board was screwed to begin with, but they are refusing to honour the exchange because they are conditioned into suspecting people are overclocking/etc. and screw up hardware out of their own doing. Which obviously you did not do.

I have been quite satisfied with the service at Infonec and Premier Computer Canada.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
btw Alex, like others have said, call/e-mail ASUS customer support.
They're a highly reputable company, that will replace your board with no hassles.

bucky

TRIBE Member
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/warranty/index.aspx

All ASUS motherboard purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry 3 year standard warranty services worldwide. One year limited warranty is given to purchase made prior to this date.

Note: Warranty void for user removing serial number sticker on the motherboard.

Question is, where is this sticker located, and who's to say that Canada Computers didnt move it themselves in order to sell a faulty product?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jmaggs
LAst time I went in there is was like pulling fucking teeth to get the guy to grab me what I came in to buy.

It's not like I was even asking him any questions, I just needed him to open the friggin glass case for me and hand me the product. Took me like 25 minutes for him to help me after me repeatedly asking. He was "busy" putting shit away. like WTF? That and he was pretty much yelling at another customer trying to get some questions answered.

They may have lower prices, but they suck ass from a customer service perspective, and in my experience, they never have the items they are selling "cheap" in stock...

Sounds like the same guy I dealt with.

zoo

TRIBE Member
you know, i've honestly blown a power supply through my own fault on the same day of purchase, and they still exchanged it for me with a brand new one

once returning a video card a few days after purchase, they gave me a little hassle, gave it to a bunch of people to literally smell, but eventually gave me my cash refund

my friend returned a dvd drive after a few days when it stopped operating properly and had no problems

if you think your asus motherboard is defective, you can return it to asus for a replacement

and if i were you, i would have tried harder to return it to canada computers

they make such tiny margins on their sales, and scam artists in the computer world are unfortunately a problem, so it's understandable that they might not be lenient with return policies that can be easily abused, like futureshop's

Boo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
make sure to contact the BBB.

I was originally wondering if BigBadBaldy worked there, then I realized that the Better Business Bureau has the same acronym.

There are many advantages of owning your own message board. The negative publicity alone will cost them more than the motherboard. But CC has had plenty of horror stories.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jmaggs
they never have the items they are selling "cheap" in stock...

this is only due to the fact that they order in small batches, with the intention of clearing out the entire inventory so as not to incur any losses on discounted products

you'll also notice that it's rare they sell garbage items, and rare that they have any older product on 'sale' because they can't get rid of it

they try to sell everything soon after it comes in, then replace it with new product that has proven or has the potential to sell well

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by saskboy
I like Honson across the street. They don't try to compete on price (they are only slightly above average). They work at giving good service and have been on the street longer than anybody. They bent over backwards for my brother once.

word up!

Honson Rocks!

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Best way to get them back is to write a little article in your "Editor column". Once you've done this and is in circulation, you make sure they read it. I gurantee you will have their full attention.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*