• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I want a wiener dog

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
I've been thinking for a while about getting a dachshund (not immediately, but sometime over the next couple years), and I would like to hear any insight from people who currently own or have owned dachshunds in the past, or who know people who have (I know there at least ONE person here who does). Everytime I read up on Dachshunds, it's always mentioned that they can be very stubborn at times. How bad IS this stubbornness? Are their potential bad back a big problem? Do you know of good places to buy wiener dogs in the GTA? What about places to avoid?

Please give me any stories, good or bad.

Adam

TRIBE Member
I have a weiner dog..she'll be 13 this summer. I think.

I wouldn't say dachshund's are stubborn..just very cunning. As far as dogs go. They definitely have personality..at least mine does. Dachshund's know how to use their cute looks to their advantage.

My dog has back problems, which is a shame. She has trouble going up and down stairs. In fact, she fell about 3 or 4 times during the christmas holiday while I was visiting my parents. We did give her Glucosamine GSM (I think?) which greatly aided her mobility. To be honest, I don't know if she has back problems or just arthritis.

But everything's worth it because of how damn cute they are.

mingster

TRIBE Member
aww..adam, sorry to hear about your pup. is she is pain? do you know about buffered aspirin?

about dachshunds: agreed on the personality factor. they have to make up for their lack in size, with BIG personalities. i wouldn't say mine was stubborn either, really, but she did have to stick up for herself occasionally (we also had a german sheppard), which can be translated into a bad attitude.

i had mine as a kid, and although we didn't have any problems, i know that wieners can sometimes be irritable with small children. especially when they get older.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I walk a dashund and he can be quite cranky at times - he is a good dog but is a tad stubborn - if it is raining I literally have to drag him outside to go for a walk - and he has back problems I have to pick him up to get him up and downstairs sometimes but he is like 10 years old :) Other than that he is quite affectionate and they are very protective - good luck.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
I wouldn't say dachshund's are stubborn..just very cunning. As far as dogs go. They definitely have personality..at least mine does. Dachshund's know how to use their cute looks to their advantage.
Awwwwww... she sounds a bit like my little doggy (who died last March :().

If she's 13, it very well could be arthritis... My dog was starting to have problems going up some stairs, and she was 11.

I'm glad to hear that wiener dogs aren't necessarily stubborn... the only first hand story I had so far was a friend of mine who had a dachshund when he was a kid, and no matter what they did, it wouldn't listen, and it eventually ran away and never came back. I kept thinking there was no way the entire breed could be like that.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
FRANKIE!!!

i have a minature wiener dog. he turned one last sept. and has a crazy personality. he needs attention all the time, constantly sits on the back of the couch so he can survey the room. he pretty much does whatever he feels like, spoons me in bed, and comes with me absolutley everywhere. i couldnt ask for a better dog, and hes outrageous personality is totally worth the hilarity that ensues.

sk8

TRIBE Member
i love when wiener dogs run! sooo cute!

they are prone to back problems though.

i use to walk a wire-haired one back when i was a professional dog-walker and he was awesome.

bambam

TRIBE Member
my mum used to have a daschund.. I was about to say she had back problems too, but i guess if theyre all prone to back problems, that would be why. never really noticed the stubborness...she had a bad habit of ratting on me when I was smoking in my room, though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

afterglow

TRIBE Member
We have 2 dachshunds.

Princess (ugh on the name) is turning 10. She's a very stubborn , independant girl. She loves to play ball. Infact, she won't stop until you go away from her or lift you legs so she can't hit the ball to you.

Oskar is 2.5 years old. He is my momma's baby. He ALWAYS needs attention. He knows how to use his cute looks for things. He is very stubborn, and very shy with people who is isn't used to. But he spends a lot of time sleeping in my lap.

Their personalities are completely different from eachother. I have heard many things of females being much more independant han the males.

On the back problem note, Princess has had back surgery already. She was 6 years old and 2-3 of her discs fused. You can potentially avoid this problem if you keep them from jumping up and down on furniture, carry them up stairs and don't let them beg by sitting on their haunches.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
PS Dachshunds eat and eat and eat and eat and eat..... bottomless pits for stomachs. Be careful.

PPS We got our dogs from german breeders who live out in Bolton. Their job is breeding and bringing up the little things. They breed standard (not mini) short haired and wire-haired dachshunds. Ours are wirehaired.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by afterglow
PS Dachshunds eat and eat and eat and eat and eat..... bottomless pits for stomachs. Be careful.
My weiner dog would eat until she died, no question about it. She has never in her 12 years ever turned down food at any time. Her entire life is focused around the pursuit of food.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
My weiner dog would eat until she died, no question about it. She has never in her 12 years ever turned down food at any time. Her entire life is focused around the pursuit of food.
The weird thing is that both of mine were very picky eaters at first. But now.... yeesh! Food is what they live for.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by afterglow
They look like dolphins when you put them into deep snow.
OMG, I laughed SO much when I read this! I can totally picture it, that's why I laughed. :D

As for the food thing, all the dogs my family has owned (all 2 of them) were BIG eaters... actually, our first dog's appetite was LEGENDARY. So I've come to expect dogs to want to eat all the time. :)

Locke

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow

Please give me any stories, good or bad.

There was this cowboy who brought a wiener dog to the ranch one day, and the other cowboys asked 'whats with the dog?' to which the cowboy replied 'Well everyone keeps on saying get a loong little doggy'

oh my sides

;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
tell me thats not the cutest thing ever
*squeal* So cute!!!

Actually, I forgot to ask... generally speaking, how are wiener dogs with cats? (if anybody knows) I'm sure that if I bring a puppy home, they'll get used to each other soon enough, but it would still be nice to know if they're predispositioned to hate cats or whatnot.