• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I want a bike.

bettEC

TRIBE Member
Or suggestions as to where to buy one. Or else it's Canadian Tire after work, baby.

Lookin' $100-150. I've had one bike stolen, that was enough.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Don't go to canadian tire dood.. even if you just want to spend 150 bucks, go to a bike store and get one. Customer service is way better at a bike shop and they'll help you pick exactly what you need. Canadian tire can't put bikes together properly, so you're just asking for problems from the start.

What area are you in?

bettEC

TRIBE Member
I'm very downtown! I heard there's a little bike shop on John, just north of Queen that's fairly good. Only reason I was thinking of the Tire is because they have a pretty decent looking bike $349, on sale for $199.

But I don't know shit about bikes, I just need one, asap :)

Dark-Rave

TRIBE Member
how tall are you?

i have a road bike that i am willing to let go for 50.00 bucks. in good condition. pickup downtown.

7 speed steel frame.
shimano components
italian built in the 80's (i think) Fiore Modena
suits peepols close to 6' or you get an owie when dismounting.
the brakes are also switched (which can be easily be returned to normal).

please reply to

quietlyquivering at yahoo! dot ca

thanks..

p

Dark-Rave

TRIBE Member
forgot to add
friction shifting

and listen to the doods dont buy crappy tire bikes. your money and your sanity deserves more!

~pen

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dark-Rave

TRIBE Member
alas i dont have a digi cam.. im in the church and wellesley area if you want to check it out.

please mail me at

quietlyquivering at yahoo! dot ca if interested.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
BettEc, i wouldn't recommend that bike! Cheap bikes don't do rear shocks very well. If you need suspension, just get a bike with front suspension and a stiff rear end.
I'd go check that bike store you mentioned on John, i've heard they are really good there. You'll definately spend your 199 better there than you will at canadian tire.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
Canadian tire can't put bikes together properly, so you're just asking for problems from the start.
i used to be bike builder for crappy tire xx years ago...the reason why the bikes are so poorly built is they paid us piecemeal...about $5 a bike...when we started it took us about 90 minutes per bike...after we got the hang of it we hated our job and left.

beat_box

TRIBE Member
I work at sportchek, and we have a tonne of deals on last years models right now.....go in and visit, we have a good selection, and you actually get service, unlike other places (ehem, Canadian Tire)

Now, i work in Kitchener, but I would assume Toronto and other major stores will also have a large selection of last years models...

take a look - www.sportchek.ca

Cheers
J

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bettEC
I'm very downtown! I heard there's a little bike shop on John, just north of Queen that's fairly good. Only reason I was thinking of the Tire is because they have a pretty decent looking bike $349, on sale for $199.

But I don't know shit about bikes, I just need one, asap :)
You're thinking of Urbane Cyclist. You won't find a $150 model there. The bike show was last weekend, you should have hit it up.

There is a bike shop in kensington that usually has 5-8 used bikes in it's shop that you can probably get for $150. I'd rather get a used good bike than a new budget bike.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beat_box
I work at sportchek, and we have a tonne of deals on last years models right now.....go in and visit, we have a good selection, and you actually get service, unlike other places (ehem, Canadian Tire)

Now, i work in Kitchener, but I would assume Toronto and other major stores will also have a large selection of last years models...

take a look - www.sportchek.ca

Cheers
J
Sportcheck is decent for budget bikes as if you don't like it you can bring it back within 30 days (or 60, I can't remember). I ran one of their bikes into the ground in 2 weeks and brought it back, realizing that the kind of biking I do requires something a bit more resilient to abuse. But they may be perfect for what you’re looking for.

beat_box

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Sportcheck is decent for budget bikes as if you don't like it you can bring it back within 30 days (or 60, I can't remember). But they may be perfect for what you’re looking for.
yah, 60 days return is our policy, and most bikes come with a Manufacturers warrenty as well...also, when you buy a bike at sportchek, you will get tune ups on it for a year anyways, and sometimes longer....so another good deal....good for what u r looking to spend!

and AIRMILES......what a deal:)

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
go find gorges in the market.

He is in an allyway that runns off of agusta. If you are standing on the patio of that shop that sells epenita's you are looking at his shack.

he is about half way down.

Good guy good prices.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
gorges?

No they are not hot there. It is not like Igores chop shop (queen st W at trinity bellwoods park). Dont buy bikes from there unless you want a courier kicking your head in one day becouse he thinks you stole his bike.

I was a courier not long ago and alot of hot bikes go in and out of there.

bettEC

TRIBE Member
Ok. I haven't caved and headed to crappy Tire yet. Went to the bike shop on John after work yesterday, and they just happened to be filming a movie there....go figure. Right when I'm ready and willing with my credit card in hand...

Anyway, I'm definitely purchasing in the next week, so I'm open to all suggestions (and taking notes on the ones already provided)... Sportchek is on my walk home....

Thanks kids!

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Goodwin
gorges?

No they are not hot there. It is not like Igores chop shop (queen st W at trinity bellwoods park). Dont buy bikes from there unless you want a courier kicking your head in one day becouse he thinks you stole his bike.

I was a courier not long ago and alot of hot bikes go in and out of there.
Good, I'm looking for people/places to track down so I can go kicking in heads.
<---- bike stolen last week.

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
I have a Specialized Stunt Jumper 99 FSR XC
(thats full suspension, cross country)

$400 obo

Richard

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Hey specialized are a good bike that's a good price.

I have an oder specialized hard rock (no suspension) and I love it. Great for getting from home to work and back.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I'm getting into the market for a road bike.

Probably gonna get one used. Any tips on what to look for, for someone who knows little to nothing about bikes?

Lainey

TRIBE Member
I have a girly cruiser-type bike I need to get out of my way..

It's a very luxurious and fun ride, not meant for long distances or anything, just kicking around town.

It's a Supercycle, teal blue with white rims, in amazing condition (considering it's at least 10 years old, I don't think it was used before I bought it) It has one gear and working brakes.

I paid $100 for it last year from a bike shop on Spadina at College, I'll let it go for $75 o.b.o.