• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I thought the movie Groove was a steamling pile of shit

Except for the part where Digweed drops Heaven Scent and the film keeps switching speed between regular speed and slow motion.

Other than that. Weak.

From the Ministry of I saw absolutely no appeal in this film. Boring.

Prime Minister Highsteppa <- doesn't think there are many club/rave films that are good out there.

vinder

TRIBE Member
i liked it the first time.

then i watched it again a week or two ago and it made me puke it was so plurry.

but i still dig the digweed scene, the scened where the young dj (spaz?) finally hits his mix, and especially "the nod."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Originally posted by vinder
val, you are now no longer getting any.

mmmm, scrum delish!

fakie brownie!
a) but i WANT curry :(
b) don't rub it in
c) I AM NOT A FAKE BROWNIE, BROWNIE.

d) highsteppa, didn't even notice the "steamling". guess it wasn't as obvious as the "I want to brain my hair" gaffe.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Personally, I didn't think Groove was too bad, but then again I took it for what it was...

Plus it reminded me of the old days when you called up an info line to actually GO to a map point because the party was in some dodgy abandoned warehouse.

But I digress.

For this genre of movie, there is but only one: Human Traffic. It's a British film filmed in Cardiff, Wales and is the most on-point film there is. Not only will it have you laughing (because it's hilarious), but it will have you feeling kind of creepy because there's moments in the film where you could insert yourself for the character playing that part.

Cheers,
Jay K.

QueenOfSwords

TRIBE Member
Hate to drag this thread back to its actual purpose, but...

I hated this movie the first time I saw it...and then I double hated it the second time. It's utterly ridiculous. Who are these stereotypical candy kids? They aren't at any party *I've* been to...

And did anyone else notice that there was not ONE decent dancer in the whole bunch of those candy kids? If you're gonna dress 'em up like stereotypical ravers (except they're all ten years too old), at least show them some moves too!

If I were Digweed, I would cry having to watch these overdressed, untalented raver-wannabes bust badly to my stellar tunes.

I also don't like the impression of e that the movie gives out...like one can't control oneself on drugs. What's with the guy who makes out with the other guy? And the stupid girl...honey, if you bf is gay on e...guess what!? He's always gay! It's not like they were cracked out on G or something...

I cannot begin to express how much I hated this movie. 'Cept Digweed. :D

B.

Plato

TRIBE Member
has anyone seen/heard of Late Night Sessions??

it was a "rave film" filmed out west a few years ago...looked interesting.

p[l]a+0

Plato

TRIBE Member
and no it's not that "summer love" one witht he cracky promoter girl in the silver dress & huge boots
or the asian guy who got fucked up on umm...was it e or acid? meh
or lady miss kier spinning (that was cool :) even though some say she's mad ass crappy cracky dj...yet i want to hear her, anyone have any dj sets by her??)

p[l]a+0

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Plato
has anyone seen/heard of Late Night Sessions??
p[l]a+0
Yup...it was *alright*.
Not bad, not good. The moviemakers did an alright job for their obvious limited budget.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boo
Human Traffic was a far superior movie.....

That is all
Human Traffic was absolute amateur hour from a film-making standpoint...brutal acting, writing and schizophrenic directing. Containing a few universal party truths does not a movie make...
At least Groove had some movement and developments that made sense (the guy exploring his sexuality) which Human Traffic didn't (the main male and female character hooking up after years of friendship was not convincing at all).

Originally posted by kerouacdude

Human Traffic was absolute amateur hour from a film-making standpoint...brutal acting, writing and schizophrenic directing. Containing a few universal party truths does not a movie make...
At least Groove had some movement and developments that made sense (the guy exploring his sexuality) which Human Traffic didn't (the main male and female character hooking up after years of friendship was not convincing at all).
Yeah, but I found Human Traffic to be a bit more social commentary at points and was a constant winking eye to the audience, moreso than Groove, which felt a lot more soap opera-ish. Also, Human Traffic did a bit more with the camera and seemed to have a great deal more imagination, while I found Groove to be much like a Kevin Smith movie: without the good writing but with the total lack of knowledge of where to put a camera.

From the Ministry of my beef. Human Traffic was much more tounge in cheek, while Groove seemed to take itself more seriously.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

Boo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

Yeah, but I found Human Traffic to be a bit more social commentary at points and was a constant winking eye to the audience, moreso than Groove, which felt a lot more soap opera-ish. Also, Human Traffic did a bit more with the camera and seemed to have a great deal more imagination, while I found Groove to be much like a Kevin Smith movie: without the good writing but with the total lack of knowledge of where to put a camera.

From the Ministry of my beef. Human Traffic was much more tounge in cheek, while Groove seemed to take itself more seriously.

I agree. I liked the Ali McBeal style hallucinations, they seemed to go very well with the movie and perhaps pre-dates Ali McBeal? It also seems to deal with more down to earth issues. Impotence, jelousy, the feeling you've had to much. It was definately a funnier movie!

At the end during the star wars conversation where they are trying desperately to keep the conversation going, was a classic!

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member

The winking you speak of reminds me of the classic Simpsons line from Bart during the Lolapolooza spoof: Making depressing music for teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel.

So too I found the bending over way backwards to please the crowd of Human Traffic, almost like "hey, can you relate to this party-going movie audience?"
I don't think using the camera to mimic or get across the effects of particular drugs or music was particularly revelatory.
I too liked the conversation scene and the guy wanking when he gets home - funny stuff, but once again, a few great scenes can't make up for lousy acting and movement.
And as far as Groove being a bit soap opera-ish - I would argue that many partiers treat their nightlife and the various episodes that happen in a melodramatic and soap-opera-ish fashion

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

And as far as Groove being a bit soap opera-ish - I would argue that many partiers treat their nightlife and the various episodes that happen in a melodramatic and soap-opera-ish fashion
Good Simpsons quote. :)

But it depends on your motivation for heading out to a party club or rave, and while it's possible that Groove took on a wider range of motives (drugs, romance, sexuality, etc.), I found that I related better to Human Traffic because of its bottom line: out to have fun and unwind from the working week. I relate to that feeling, as that's what I need and why I head out each night I go partying. I just never thought to myself that this is some enlightened way of life or that my life is going to change because of a rave I attended. While I will admit that I have seen some unbelievably beautiful things at a rave (lightshows - not of the glowstick variety, the cross cultural and musical tastes at the early parties that I went to circa 1993/94, the fact that it wasn't anything like the clubs I was attending), I find it a bit naïve to think that my outlook on life will be shattered and rebuilt on the idea that a rave will change my life. That's just me though, as I tend to take elements of things into my life and try not to go overboard with something new. I think this is more of a phase in my life and a popular trend, which will either evolve or die out. Human Traffic to me is a bit more open and loose ended in the sense that I think its message we can relate to more: get out on the weekend. While Groove is so focused on the rave element, that it sets itself up to be dated in a few years (and I honestly feel that it's kind of dated when it came out....). I think we might be groaning at how silly Groove might come across as in a few years, much like the Breakin' flims of the 80's.

From the Ministry of I find the message is more important than catching the actual mood.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member

I think we might be groaning at how silly Groove might come across as in a few years, much like the Breakin' flims of the 80's.

From the Ministry of I find the message is more important than catching the actual mood.

is nothing sacred? What's next, are you gonna slam the Lambada movies?! :)

Boo

TRIBE Member

Or maybe, just maybe... the medium is the message. :p

I didn't enjoy human traffic until the second time around.

And a general point. What is with comedy's lately? I know this genre will never win an oscars, but they all seem to be American Pie style teen shite!

Where are the Brewster's Millions, Dumb and Dumber's, and What aout Bob?

I was thinking about that movie the other day. "I sail, I'm a sailor!" :D

is nothing sacred? What's next, are you gonna slam the Lambada movies?! :)
C'mon g, we all know that Beat Street was the shit

Just thank the lord that the Macarena never got a shot at the silver screen.

From the Ministry of two hours of heeeeeeeey macarena.

Originally posted by Boo

And a general point. What is with comedy's lately? I know this genre will never win an oscars, but they all seem to be American Pie style teen shite!
Blame Scream. The film brought back to life the teen comedies of the 80's (which we can blame John Hughes and Chris Columbus for), and the studios clued in that teens have a lot of disposible income and might be inclined to see anything.

Hence the explaination behind Freddie Prinze Jr.'s career

From the Ministry of worst actor ever