• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I think I want to be a copywriter: need tips.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think my creativity needs an outlet other than tribe, for tribe doesn't pay well. In fact, it doesn't pay at all, except for the occasional PM saying,"God, you sure are a fucking moron."

As much as I like to fish, well, dammit, I ought to put my writing to good use.

Any copywriters out there? Any tips on getting into the biz? Should I make a sort of "fake" portfolio, for instance my tinfoil hat on, for a anti-psychotic drug (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean)?

How much is the pay?

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
I have no tips, but have always been interested in what exactly a copywriter does. Never looked into it though.

i would also like to know.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kat

TRIBE Member
my dad is a copywriter

he is also unemployed..wait, wait..i mean "freelance"

fucking publicis

just make some crazy portfolio.

fun times..

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
so nothing to do with copyrights? right? (write?)

Nope. They write the info on the side of tampon boxes, Lysol cans, cereal boxes, the words in print ads, things like that.

mingster

TRIBE Member
that looks really cool, timo.

torre lazur mccann could be good for you. looks like there's lots of stuff (opportunities going on there). why dont' you just send them a resume, with a letter saying why they should hire you (as they suggest)?

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
The pay sucks to start, but accelerates quite nicely with experience.

A fake portfolio never hurts. They will want to see something.

Industry is hurting right now, lots of unemployed writers and Art Directors.

kat

TRIBE Member
yep. most of the big companies have been cutting back their budgets lately

well, it goes back and forth

they get a big account..they hire lots of people + contract
they start being cheap with the account..they fire lots of people + dont renew contracts

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
why dont' you just send them a resume, with a letter saying why they should hire you (as they suggest)?

I have this notion that an ordinary letter and resume just won't cut it.

I will be making a crazy creative portfolio of sorts... giving me something to do in my spare time....

And after a couple of years working there, I will become a cult leader. And I'll write my own copy.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
A copywriter usually works beside an Art Director designing some kind of advertisement. The copywriter’s job is to come up with that witty copy that will grab the attention of the target market. You could take an accelerated course at Humber College to be a copywriter. It's a very intense course, but you will learn a lot about what a copywriter is, and the skills to be one. I know for a fact that copywriters don't make a lot at first, but as you work your way from a junior to senior then you will make some good coin.

Good Luck

tablist

TRIBE Member
A good friend of mine is a jr. copywriter at Macleran. He likes it allot, but I couldn't tell you exatly what the job is all about. He makes pretty decent coin too.

Yeah, that was no help at all.

kuba

TRIBE Member
read "ogilvy on advertising"

great book. inspirational, really.

too bad I wasnt inspired, but I was inspired to read it while on the can.

Either way I want to do this too.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I have this notion that an ordinary letter and resume just won't cut it.

I will be making a crazy creative portfolio of sorts... giving me something to do in my spare time....

And after a couple of years working there, I will become a cult leader. And I'll write my own copy.

i'm quite sure you could put together a very effective little package to get an interview.

if it were simply all about the letter, i'm also quite sure you could write a very convincing letter.

kuba

TRIBE Member
that looks really cool, timo.

torre lazur mccann could be good for you. looks like there's lots of stuff (opportunities going on there). why dont' you just send them a resume, with a letter saying why they should hire you (as they suggest)?

resumes dont mean shit for advertising companies

im tellin you. read this book.

i can lend it to you if youw ant.

come over timo. I will give you the book. And then leave.

Then read it, and bring it back.

And you will know. What you have to know. When you need to know.

kat

TRIBE Member
if you are someone who does not like their work to be edited or changed around by dickheads in suits..

then i do not suggest this job for you.

unless you like arguing? so..maybe it is?

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
if you are someone who does not like their work to be edited or changed around by dickheads in suits..

Yeah, you can't get too attached to anything you write. I'm the dickhead who edits things and changes things around, and one of the copywriters actually cries like I cut her baby — not her prose.