• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I think I have a DVD addiction

Stop Bill C-10

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: I think I have a DVD addiction

Originally posted by Cheeka
is this movie good?
I just assumed since its Kevin Costner it would be horrible!

hey cheeks, THE POSTMAN is a crap movie.

as for kevin costner, he's had some great movies: THE UNTOUCHABLES, DANCES WITH WOLVES, ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES, TIN CUP, WYATT EARP, BULL DURHAM, FOR LOVE OF THE GAME, SILVERADO, THIRTEEN DAYS, FIELD OF DREAMS, NO WAY OUT, JFK, etc. (heck, i even liked 'THE BODYGUARD'.)

:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Postman

is this movie good?

ahaha... I love the Simpsons episode where they're watching this in the store and it has the director's commentary overtop:

"I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry."

Pete :D

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: I think I have a DVD addiction

Originally posted by The Watcher

I think some movies are a little much for some people, Not everyone can understand every movie.

The Postman definitely requires a certain level of attention to watch, it is not about Action, it's more of a Post Apocalyptic Drama.

-Nick

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy bad movies too.

I know the movie is about post-apocalyptic whatnot. I once read the book which I remember liking quite a bit.

But the Postman massacres the book. Kevin Costner's whole Shakespeare thing - ugh - its a simplistic and badly done treatment of the theme in my rather uninformed and meaningless opinion. :p

The post-apocalypse is done so much better in so many other movies. Off the top of my head try: On the Beach.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Meh...

I've noticed this about certain movies.

Some People might like/love a movie, and others will hate it with some sort of Ungodly passion. I cant explain it, I like the Postman, I know alot of people that like it alot aswell, but I also know people that would spit on it if they saw it again.

It's a Love it or Hate it Movie. There is no sitting on the fence for this one I guess.

I'm not gonna let other people's opinion affect mine, I will continue to recommend it, and hopefully people that choose to watch it will make their own opinion and not be swayed by other's opinion.

-Nick

Stan

TRIBE Member
I've had my DVD player for about 6 months now. I own about 40 DVD's.

:D

I recently purchased HIGHLANDER - IMMORTAL EDITION and OSAMU TEZUKA'S METROPOLIS (anime) on the weekend.

Here are some good ones to check out:

Memento
The Abyss
Contact
Chasing Amy
Leon - The Professional
The Score
Ronin

If you like Anime:

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Macross Plus
Ninja Scroll

And if you like Kung Fu:

Iron Monkey
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Once Upon A Time In China (I, II and III)
The Legend Of Drunken Master
Fist Of Legend
Kiss Of The Dragon

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
I've had my DVD player for about 6 months now. I own about 40 DVD's.

:D

I recently purchased HIGHLANDER - IMMORTAL EDITION and OSAMU TEZUKA'S METROPOLIS (anime) on the weekend.

Here are some good ones to check out:

Memento
The Abyss
Contact
Chasing Amy
Leon - The Professional
The Score
Ronin

If you like Anime:

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Macross Plus
Ninja Scroll

And if you like Kung Fu:

Iron Monkey
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Once Upon A Time In China (I, II and III)
The Legend Of Drunken Master
Fist Of Legend
Kiss Of The Dragon

Hey Stan. They just released (re-released perhaps) The Drunken Master (not DM2 a.k.a. LODM). I picked it up on the weekend.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Hey Stan. They just released (re-released perhaps) The Drunken Master (not DM2 a.k.a. LODM). I picked it up on the weekend.

yeah??? gotta get it.

btw, no respectable kung-fu movie list is complete without 'enter the dragon'. whatsa matter with you? :p

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will

yeah??? gotta get it.

btw, no respectable kung-fu movie list is complete without 'enter the dragon'. whatsa matter with you? :p

The cheapest place I've seen it is Sunrise -> $29.99

HMV and FutureShop both have it for $35

The Audio is in English or Cantonese or you can watch it with English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai subtitles.

The story (like it matters) is:

Though teenage Wong Fei Hong (Jackie Chan) is the son of a martial arts teacher, he'd much rather clown around and get in and out of trouble on the streets of Hong Kong than learn kung fu. When one of his pranks causes injury to the son of a powerful man, his father calls in a sadistic uncle to teach Fei Hung some self-discipline. The uncle specializes in a bizarre form of kung fu known as the "Drunken Boxer," and after losing a fight with a local assassin who has been hired to kill his father, Fei Hung realizes that it may be worth learning. This martial arts classic was the second collaboration between Chan and director Yuen Woo Ping, fight choreographer for THE MATRIX and CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

tella

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: I think I have a DVD addiction

is this movie good?

amen! i can't stand kevin costner. watching him in a film has always been quite painful...almost as bad as watching keanu reeves (at least he passes the eye candy factor).

deep

TRIBE Member
best audio engineering in a DVD ever : saving private ryan

eye candy : baraka

bizarre imagery but unfortunately no 5.1 sound even in the criterion ed'n : brazil

very interesting overall production (including DVD design / interface) : requiem for a dream

best shootout scene to work out your theater setup : heat

nostalgia : transformers original first season DVD just released

T2's special edition DVD also has nice audio engineering on it but not on the level of positional brilliance that Saving Private Ryan or the Matrix has. Still, the scene with Ahnold and the minigun owns.

Criterion DVD's recommended:

Seven Samurai
Robocop - Director's Cut (out of print, but you might find it if you hunt)
The Killer (out of print - long shot in finding it)
Hard Boiled (out of print - see above)
Life of Brian
Brazil - on sale at Sunrise across the 333 Yonge St for 85.99 (which is incredible for a three DVD set)
The Rock
Chasing Amy
Sparticus
Beastie Boys anthology - you can select the remix you want to accompany the video. Some have as many as 13-14 remixes for a single song. One of the best dvd's I've seen to date.
Traffic - has 25 (!) deleted scenes.

www.criterionco.com

New Line (one of the best DVD friendly studios imho)

Seven (two disc set)
Boogie Nights (two disc set)
The Cell
Blade

Hold off on Memento Nick, they're releasing a double disc special edition in a few weeks. It's hundreds of times better than the peice of shit that Alliance Atlantis released.

others:
The Abyss Special Edition
Terminator Special Edition
Terminator 2 - Ultimate Edition
Toy Story 1 & 2 double pack
Alien anthology (all four films in one pack)
Massive Attack videos
The Matrix (best for PC DVD's)
Requiem for a Dream
The Sixth Sense
Blade Runner director's cut
Snatch
The Way of the Gun
Nightmare Before Christmas
Last of the Mohicans - Director's Cut
X-Men
Natural Born Killers - Director's Cut
Trainspotting
Session 9 (best audio I've heard. Creepy as fuck)
High Fidelity
Apocalypse Now Redux
Fight Club
Moulin Rouge
Star Wars Episode 1 (only if your a fan. I'm not very impressed with the transfer myself - picture looks like shit)
Starship Troopers
South Park - Bigger Longer and Uncut
Orgazmo - Special Edition (drunken commentary by Trey Parker and Matt Stone is worth it alone)
Three Kings
Baraka (there's a new edition that features 5.1 sound)

Imports: (REMINDER look for ZONE 1 when buying)
Shaolin Soccer (will be released in theatres next month under the title of Kung Fu Soccer - took top honours at the Hong Kong Oscars last week - very funny and very good)
Armour of God 2 - Operation Condor
Chopper (U.S. Edition)
The Bride with White Hair
Ashes of Time
Once a Thief

From the Ministry of hope this helps

Prime Minister Highsteppa

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
Kray Twins , is this available on Dvd ? Any one have one of those dvd/vhs movie release rating - release books ?

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
Freddy Got Fingered

rumtg.jpg

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
best audio engineering in a DVD ever : saving private ryan

Sorry my friend. But ask any audiophile and they'll tell you that the sound in Episode I has the best audio engineering on a DVD ever.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1

Sorry my friend. But ask any audiophile and they'll tell you that the sound in Episode I has the best audio engineering on a DVD ever.

I haven't yet seen episode I so I'll give you that. I'm just a big fan of positional audio and good use of all 5 channels, which SPR shines in. But I'll rent Episode I to see what it's about.