• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

i teach dumb people

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Like fucking seriously... at what point is it reasonable for me to request from management a pardon from the obligation of teaching stupid people things they can never possibly learn?

HR-types in the thread: Is there a precedent for such a situation?

I never wanted to be this idiot's mentor, nor is it in my job description. Is it worth tacking on to my already infamous office reputation for being a complainer simply to save my sanity and possibly this person's self-respect? Coz if something doesn't change soon I'm going to send this moron home in tears.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
yayaya..
just totally lie and fill them with all sorts of mis-information.
really, i think that this would provide no end of mirth.

no no no! don't -ever- touch that! are you insane?

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
As the child of parents, I love the title of this thread!

As a worker bee, I love this thread because it reinforces my reasons for leaving companies. When they're hiring tards, it's usually because management lives in tardville, too.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Polymorph
Can't you just direct this person to do weird tasks for your own evil amusement?
I would, but this person is usually too busy trying to figure out if its the red line or the green line on the MTO map that tells them if the 401 is jammed up or not.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaftPunky
What's the worst thing that's ever come of such a refusal?
you end up looking like a self-important prissy-pants with no management/leadership ability and a penchant for causing problems.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Rude1_247
you end up looking like a self-important prissy-pants with no management/leadership ability and a penchant for causing problems.
Word. The trick is to make management realize how difficult your coworker is to teach, then teach them anyway.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaftPunky
What's the worst thing that's ever come of such a refusal?
well this was when I taught computer skills for BellSympatico.

The student was approached by management and was urged to learn or be transfered to billing (And take a paycut)

He eventually got moved to billing because he could not learn the concepts that I was teaching. (Some people just dont get it)

I had 2 students out of 300 that failed my class.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
(Some people just dont get it)
This I can accept. And there is nothing wrong with it.

But this person is so incompetent that even she should see that she's not cut out for this job. She was hired AGAINST the recommendation of several people here, and now management has us toughing it out with her because they're the fools that hired her.

The only people with the power to replace her with somebody useful are too stupid themselves to realize that they should.

Well, either that or she must give one helluva blowjob.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lucky1
Maybe this is punishment for bieng the work "compainer" ?
Nope, actually this is punishment for me being the only one who had the compassion and the patience to try in the first place.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Take a different approach at teaching.

Give her the "once through"

Tell her to pay attention, write notes, and not disturb you when teaching, till the end.

Then go tell your boss you taught her, and if she can't do her job now than it's not your problem because you went through the material as best you could.

You can suggest that someone else give it a go to see if maybe she just needs a different teaching style.

If after 2 teachers she is still dumb like rocks, then they should will be responsible.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
maybe she just needs a different teaching style.
Thanks for the plan Watcher... we thought it would have worked too.

She's been through multiple 'teachers' already, and been given more than a fair shake.

The last straw was today when, after 6 months with our company as a support-technician supporting primarily database-driven software, needed a half-an-hour explanation of the difference between a database record and a database field.

She concluded the lesson with "OH! So one goes across and the other one goes up and down???"

It was either vent my frustrations on Tribe, or beat her over the head with her Intro To Databases text that she proudly displays on her desk.