• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I still can't seem to get my damn ipod to work!

skyparty

TRIBE Member
ok so i know there's an ipod thread. sorry.... [obviously i don't care moving on] I know i totally suck at computer shit, so i'm here like a dumbass begging for someone to help me. I asked my boyfriend, and even had him show me on his computer (because he has ipod nano as well)- and everything he showed me seemed easy? but my itunes isn't showing me the same options... he's lost, i'm lost... we're coming to you guys for help!

I have the 1g.

i set it up, and i've read the instructions.

1. I can't figure out where to name mine.

2. I've already made my play list and named it "narnia"

2. I go to preferences under "ipod" (so that i can choose "narnia" at the section to download music from itunes to my ipod) and all it says "ipod not connected"

i've been seeing this "ipod not connected" since i bought the damn thing...

my usb ports are fine because everything else that goes into those ports work fine.

my roomate has an ipod nano, which she got after mine~
her ex boyriend bought it for her, named it for her, put songs on it...
and then now she plugs it in my comp to charge or upload cds on it.

so obviously hers works....

so why doesn't mine?

i let it charge overnight, and it's still saying "do not disconnect"

now- my friend had his 4g over here, and it charged fine for him?

so what the hell!!!

i can't charge my ipod,
i can't find out where to name it,
i can't get music on it,
i can't see my preferences...

AND THIS WAS MY NANO and MY UPLOADING OF SOFTWARE!

not to mention this is my computer,and it's totally unfair lol.

thanks for all your help guys!

~narissa

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
this may sound stupid, but did you install the iPod software on your computer? Not iTunes, but the software.

you mentioned that your friends are charging and uploading songs to your computer, but they may be doing it through Windows Explorer, as it would still be a mass storage device to the operating system without installing the nano CD. (i'm assuming you have a PC here)

you cannot change the name of your nano until it is recognized in iTunes. it then become an object below your created playlist.
(right click to rename it once its seen in iTunes)

pull the nano from your PC, but first make sure there isn't a "hardware connected" icon in your system tray. (where the clock is) if there is, right click and disconnect.

install the software. then connect the nano and wait up to 45 seconds to see that its seen by iTunes. make sure you format the nano for use in Windows so you can connect to your friends music libraries on PC's.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
skyparty said:
ok so i know there's an ipod thread. sorry.... [obviously i don't care moving on] I know i totally suck at computer shit, so i'm here like a dumbass begging for someone to help me. I asked my boyfriend, and even had him show me on his computer (because he has ipod nano as well)- and everything he showed me seemed easy? but my itunes isn't showing me the same options... he's lost, i'm lost... we're coming to you guys for help!

I have the 1g.

i set it up, and i've read the instructions.

1. I can't figure out where to name mine.

2. I've already made my play list and named it "narnia"

2. I go to preferences under "ipod" (so that i can choose "narnia" at the section to download music from itunes to my ipod) and all it says "ipod not connected"

i've been seeing this "ipod not connected" since i bought the damn thing...

my usb ports are fine because everything else that goes into those ports work fine.

my roomate has an ipod nano, which she got after mine~
her ex boyriend bought it for her, named it for her, put songs on it...
and then now she plugs it in my comp to charge or upload cds on it.

so obviously hers works....

so why doesn't mine?

i let it charge overnight, and it's still saying "do not disconnect"

now- my friend had his 4g over here, and it charged fine for him?

so what the hell!!!

i can't charge my ipod,
i can't find out where to name it,
i can't get music on it,
i can't see my preferences...

AND THIS WAS MY NANO and MY UPLOADING OF SOFTWARE!

not to mention this is my computer,and it's totally unfair lol.

thanks for all your help guys!

~narissa

1g ipods connect via firewire, not usb.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

miscreant

TRIBE Member
skyparty said:
"i've been seeing this "ipod not connected" since i bought the damn thing..."

Could it be the usb cable?

Even though the unit is brand new the cable could be shot from day one. Happened to me before with sympatico, brand new package and after hours of hair pulling fun it turns out the ethernet cable that they sent was dead.

Cheers

Last edited:

skyparty

TRIBE Member
just to let everyone know, i had my computer reformatted. i had it wiped clean, and completely redone... all new hardware.. and still the ipod did not work. as it turns out, my computer guy did "Everything" and all it kept saying was that it was "corrupted".

i returned, got a new one, and BAAM.

it works! first try! i was so impressed.

i felt so much better...

"i'm really not as stupid as i thought!"

i felt good to know it was just defected to begin with!