• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I need some advice car accident

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Hello Tribers,

I just got involved to a car accident, I was driving and a car coming out on a parking lot turning left just suddenly pull out. Which my car is a total write off.

This is the situation when I called my insurance company they told me that my insurance was cancelled due to that I did not claim there letters that they sent me which I am not aware off.

So where do I stand now? All I know that Im getting a fine, and the other party will get covered by there insurance.

Please let me know ur opinion?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
You will be fined heavily for not having insurance. You've also lost your car which will not be replaced because of zero coverage. PM me if you are looking for a cheap but good car to replace yours for under $2000.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
shit this sucks!
check your coverage, and get any paperwork that would indicate you were covered during the time of the accident?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
khemistry -
Did the Insurance company send the letters via registered mail?
Do you have record of insurance payments made to them when the accident occured?
Are you with a broker or an insurance agent?

khemistry

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
khemistry -
Did the Insurance company send the letters via registered mail?
Do you have record of insurance payments made to them when the accident occured?
Are you with a broker or an insurance agent?

They were saying that they sent it and it was just never claim.
Before I moved out i sent them a letter with a change of address and a void cheque for the new account.
Im with a broker.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
So do you have record of the broker taking payment? (Did it show up on your records from the bank?)

Did you ask to see a copy of the letter?

khemistry

TRIBE Member
I was actually the other drivers fault. He was turning left getting out of his company parking lot and he just bolted in and the only excuse that I have is he did not see me.

He accept that it is his fault. But one way or another i think im getting screwed. I know that im getting a fine but what else do I have to expect.

My car is a write off so I dont really care about the car. Total estimated damage with the car is 8 grand.

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Im still trying to get in touch with them. I called them yesterday and they told me that there going to call me back i havent heard anything yet.

khemistry

TRIBE Member
I found few. They were saying that it was non payment. But its a direct withdrawal.

So whats the worst thing that could happen here?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Well if you have record for the Insurance payment being taken out of your account for the duration of when the accident took place, I would suggest that you were covered by Insurance. If you have some missed payments you could have some problems.

If the letter never came by registered mail then how do you know they sent it for sure?

I would get on your brokers ass, this is what you pay a brokerage fee for. You need to get your shit together... Its a pretty serious fine for driving with no insurance, and you may have trouble getting insurance again...

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
if you were paying direct deposit then you can check your bank statments to see if they in fact were not taking payments out, if they still were then your policy was obviously not cancelled.

If they say they sent your cancellation via registered mail (which is a requirement) ask them for an original copy of said letter with the corresponding proof of it being sent via registered mail. If they cannot supply this you have the basis for an arguement that the policy was not followed and you were not informed of the cancellation.

You are also eligible for coverage for injuries if you are injured, if not by your insurer then by the guy who hit you.........hope this helps

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
Total estimated damage with the car is 8 grand.

What? How hard were you hit and where exactly? $8000 damage seems excessive. Was the car even worth that much (ie. what type of car is it?)? You may want to get yourself another estimate before deciding the car is written off.

Also, as many have suggested, if you've been paying monthly insurance premiums (check your account carefully) then you should be covered.

Finally, SolaceVIP wins the prize for swiftest and coldest-blooded, ambulance-chasing sale attempt! :)

khemistry

TRIBE Member
OK they were saying the reason the insurance was cancelled its because for non payment. Which i am not aware of. They said that they sent me a letter (registered which i did not recieve).

I have the records on my old account which is till July last year. But I cant find any records of payment for my new account which i mailed them a void cheque.

How can they say its a non payment if I have a direct withdrawal system?

IF worst comes to worst what am I looking here?

5 g's fine for insurance ( is this gonna be a criminal record )
what will happen to the other party? ( For all I know there insurance will cover them)
what else am I looking here?

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Did you not receive a new "pink slip" for insurance that you keep in your car, when your previous one expired?

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
5 g's fine for insurance ( is this gonna be a criminal record )
what will happen to the other party? ( For all I know there insurance will cover them)
what else am I looking here?

I'm assuming that if in fact you have no insurance coverage, the other insurance company will come after you to make you pay.

If you have old records of payment being made, but none over the last few months, I'm assuming it's not looking too good.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

lucky1

TRIBE Member
ok I'mnot experrt but this is what my insurance co's policy is:

the payment is an automatic withdrawl, if the payment was NSF the company will call you and set up another withdrawl date, for you payment plus a service charge. If they second payment is NSF as well they policy will automaticallly be cancelled by them.

the charge for driving with no insurence is a provincial offences charge, under the cumpulsory insurance act. it is not a criminal code charge. you will not have a record. but.. if you ever want to get insurance again it will be very difficult.

they other parties insurance will cover them, then may come after you to get the money. (take you to court)

do you not get bank statments? if you were making payments they will be on the statment.

Last edited:

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
OK they were saying the reason the insurance was cancelled its because for non payment. Which i am not aware of. They said that they sent me a letter (registered which i did not recieve).

I have the records on my old account which is till July last year. But I cant find any records of payment for my new account which i mailed them a void cheque.

What does the part in bold mean? Does it mean you actually don't have records at home? Call your bank. They'll provide records of account activity on your "new account." If, on the other hand it means you don't see payments going out, then that means you didn't make any payments. Which makes the insurance company correct. And leaves you....uninsured.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Also, did you not notice that Insurance payments were NOT coming out of your account? It is your responsibility to ensure that your bills are being paid.
As for the registered letter, someone would have to sign for it to pick it up, so they would have record that it was received.

If you can only find old payment records, you may be SOL. If you have no pink slip, you are SOL. Do you have any record for when you renewed your Insurance? (Did you make a photocopy of the letter etc.) If you have none of this info, and you did send the required information, you should look into getting some legal counsel pronto. You will have a very hard time finding someone to provide insurance to you with that fine and non-payment issues.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
How can they say its a non payment if I have a direct withdrawal system?

This happened to me when I got appartment insurance a few years ago. I gave them all the right info, but something fucked up and they weren't making the withdrawls. I got a letter a month or two later saying that my policy was cancelled for non-payment, and I made no effort to get insurance again, since they messed it up the first time and didn't even let me know until it was too late.