• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

I need all your help - Serious Thread

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
An undercover cop shot a 17 year old filipino boy - his name is Jeffrey Reodica - in Scarborough last friday. Shocking eh? But what really fucking makes me sick, is the fact that no one knows it, and no one in our beloved media wants to do anything about it. I guess it's not as news-worthy as the Cecilia Zhang case coz the cops are involved.

The Filipino community in the greater Toronto area (including my parents), confused at the lack of press coverage (globe and mail didn't even publish this officer's name!), appeal to the rest of their fellow canadian communities for support/help. Toronto Police should do what they're fucking supposed to do, and that is: to help SAVE LIVES. Jeffrey's family is fucking devastated at the lack of media support, they don't hate the cops, they just want to know why the fucking cop shot their son in the back 3 times - and make sure he loses his badge.

Here's what the Globe had to say.

Here's what really happened.

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
I teach a 12 year old girl who has neighbors with him for most of their lives.

what scared the shit out of me was she didn't even sound surprised that a cop could do this.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
I heard about this from my dad the other day. Terrible :(

Yes it's pretty strange how the media is quiet about the whole thing (even CityTV, who is usually on top of immigrant-related stories like this).

I doubt that there's some kind of cover-up going on though... I think the media, just like a lot of other people, is confused about exactly what happened. They may be holding off on any reporting until there is a clearer picture of what actually took place.

Originally posted by Gunark

I doubt that there's some kind of cover-up going on though... I think the media, just like a lot of other people, is confused about exactly what happened. They may be holding off on any reporting until there is a better picture of exactly what happened.
There's been huge discrepencies about what happened, I've read reports of 50 youths on 2 were the numbers involved and that the officer who fired the three shots was helping two other officers that were being threatened with a knife, one of the officers were wounded by trying to hancuff the suspect. Yet, the witness account says that there were only about 8?

However, what doesn't make sense to me is why a cop would shoot into a frey where two cops are pretty close to a "perp" and if they're trying to handcuff him, why he was shot in the back 3 times. This is from the data that I read in the Toronto Star last week.

I do understand why Fantino didn't contact the family though, even if it does come across as cold hearted. SIU and the courts could construe this as being suspicious.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
P.S. I think what really happened is the cops mistook this for a gang incident (in large part due to racial bias). They now realize that they screwed up big time and are trying to figure out how to best handle this with PR. Asking people to keep quiet and using the special investigation as an excute is simply a way of buying more time before this blows up.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
The media confused? it's part of the media's job to investigate and quell any confusion.

I don't know, it's been more than a fucking week. something is going on here.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
There's been huge discrepencies about what happened, I've read reports of 50 youths on 2 were the numbers involved and that the officer who fired the three shots was helping two other officers that were being threatened with a knife, one of the officers were wounded by trying to hancuff the suspect. Yet, the witness account says that there were only about 8?

exactly. this is the kind of shit that makes me think that there is some kind of cover up. The witnesses have been scared shitless - they were unanimous in stating that THE COPS DIDN'T IDENTIFY THEMSELVES as cops, therefore fucking up procedure. And when they were taken in for questioning, they didn't call the 17 year olds' parents, again - violating procedure.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
The media did cover this when it happened. The Star, Globe, CITY, all had coverage. And I'm sure when the SIU is finished their investigation, they will follow up.

There's no cover up, just a lack of clear details of what's going on.

For the media to continue to make reports based on speculation is irresponsible.

BTW, the link to what really happened doesn't work.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Eyewitness Account of the Murder of Jeffrey Reodica
Submitted by mikel on Wed, 06/02/2004 - 18:39. A&S News Wire | Toronto | Culture | Immigration | Race | State Repression | Student
A Call for Solidarity, Truth, and Justice
On May 21st, 17-year old Jeffrey Reodica was shot three times in the back by a police officer. The mainstream press has come out with stories from unnamed witnesses, some saying Jeffrey "slashed" the police officer with a knife. To date nothing has come out in the mainstream press about what really happened.

Here is an eyewitness account that Filipino journalists share with us. It is at the same time a call to action and for solidarity, not just for Filipino media people but for all of us who uphold truth and justice.

Dear colleagues,

Here is an eyewitness account of the Jeffrey Reodica shooting incident that Reporter and Balita are publishing. This has not been published in the mainstream media despite the fact that the Reodica family revealed this in their press conference at the FCT last week.

Isn't there enough indication that there's an invisible hand manipulating the mainstream media reports on the incident? The circumstances under which Jeffrey was shot are being muddled in these reports. The boys with Jeffrey that moment when he was shot should be encouraged to speak out and give their account. So far only unnamed and faceless witnesses have been quoted in the media reports that falsely portray Jeffrey as a knife-wielding member of a youth gang who assaulted a police officer.

If the mainstream media for whatever reason are unable to get to the bottom of what really happened by interviewing these boys, are we in the Filipino media going to just sit back and watch the truth sacrificed while Jeffrey's death is being justified? Are we in the Filipino media committed to press freedom and truth? How many Jeffreys do we need to make us see that being in the media carries with it the huge responsibility to seek the truth and reveal it no matter if those in power are put in a bad light, in the service of the larger society?

How Jeffrey Reodica was shot: An eyewitness account

(An exclusive interview with a boy who was at the scene when Jeffrey Reodica was shot by a police officer on May 21, 2004 in Scarboro.)

By Marlou S. Tiro

The Philippine Reporter

As the real story behind Jeffrey Reodica's mysterious death slowly unfolds, many questions have been left unanswered. Willie Reodica, Jeffrey's father already appealed to all potential witnesses to come forward and help them. Since the incident happened on Friday, May 21, up to the time of his death on Monday night, several versions have come out in the open, some of them with conflicting.

All of Jeffrey's friends have been advised not to talk to anybody about the incident so it was difficult for us, in the media to talk to them too. While following up the story, I was shown Jeffrey's school. Then, by chance, I met the boy who was right there when the incident happened. He said he was scared to talk to anybody especially the authorities. With assurance for his safety, we were able to convince him to ride with us inside the car so we can ask him more questions. I realized that people with us in te car were tense. So was the boy. I became nervous too especially a young lady who was always checking someone if was following us. While inside the car, we were always on the look out of any mysterious van.

This boy, who refused to be identified, was with Jeffrey at the time of the shooting. He saw vividly how Jeffrey was shot and narrated how it really happened.

This was his account:

It all started with a scuffle inside a basketball court on that Thursday, May 20. White teen-agers approached and tried to bully two members of our group.They got our ball and did not want to return it to us. When one of our members tried to get it back, one White boy hit him in the face and pushed him.

Another white boy also physically assaulted the second Filipino boy. More so, they were told to "go back to the Philippines and eat rice". In the hope not to make things worse, we just let it pass. However, deep inside, the two boys did not want to just let it pass.

The following day, Friday, we thought of retaliating. As my friends and I were walking along towards a residential area, the same group of white boys were heading towards us with baseball bats. They thought it was just the three of us. However, some of my friends joined us so the group ran away. We chased them arming ourselves with only rocks in our hands. We ran around the neighborhood until Jeffrey who was standing across the street saw us. He asked us "what's up?". We told him that we want to hit back on these kids who humiliated us on Thursday. Jeffrey, upon knowing who the members of the other group were, told us that he would also help. He said that these were the same group who physically hurt his cousin. Honestly, we felt the need to retaliate because of what happened that Thursday.

Since there were eight of us now, we split our group. We searched the neighborhood but we could not find anyone. Finally, one of my friends spotted them riding a white van. The van passed a corner where they picked up two boys who were hiding. A lady came out of the van and told the two boys to get in. We were 10 feet away from the van. We went towards the van but suddenly a black car pulled over behind it. Two big men came out. We thought they were relatives of the gang. Then they went back inside their car and drove towards us. One cop (as we came to know later), told us to kneel down and drop the rocks we were holding in our hands. We were confused. We thought these were just guys who wanted to hurt us. They never told us they were cops. The other cop who was driving the car came out from the car, pulled his gun and went towards Jeffrey. He told Jeffrey to drop his rock and kneel down. He pushed Jeffrey down while pointing a gun at him. Jeffrey bent halfway, covered his head with his both arms with his body in a curl position. While the cop driver pointed the gun on Jeffrey, he was also slapping Jeffrey with his left hand. Since he continued on slapping, Jeffrey swirled around trying to prevent the cop's hand on hitting him. I know Jeffrey did that because he did not know they were cops. They never identified themselves as cops. We thought they were relatives of the other gang who wanted to hurt us. While doing so, the driver cop shot Jeffrey. I was shocked and so was the other cop who was unable to move. My eyes simply blinked when I heard the first shot. It happened so fast. I saw him shooting Jeffrey then Jeffrey swirled towards the right, the cop again shot him and I heard again another shot. I was standing close to Jeffrey with the other cop next to me. I saw clearly what happened. I was unable to move. Contrary to other reports, I did not see Jeffrey swinging a knife towards the cop. Nor did we all resist when they told us to gather together.

The next thing I knew, I saw Jeffrey splattered with blood all over, his face down. One of the cops administered CPR. Then the cops called paramedics -- after 10 minutes. Later, they brought us all to the police station for questioning. They asked us a lot of questions. They asked us in a very rapid manner. All of us were scared because of what we witnessed. We did not know what to do. Our parents were not around."

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
okay, call me paranoid but the two sites that contained the eye-witness account (www.ocap.ca was the other one) now don't work. i'd like to think that i'm not paranoid, and that it may just be a case of overloading the site? i don't know.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Interesting. But I think I will wait for the SIU's verdict, before passing any kind of judgment.

To say that this story is what really happened, is premature. But to say that the other stories are really true, is also premature.

Playing devil's advocate for the moment, who's to say that the reporter didn't coax this version out of the witness?

Looks like lots of questions remain unanswered.

Spikey

TRIBE Member
the eye witness account reads very "pre-scripted"

I will wait for the official SIU inverstigation verdict on this one

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I saw this all over CP24 for several days. They didn't publish his name because of the YCJA ( youth criminal justice act replacing the young offender act) and the fact the cops are trying to make him look like a crimainal. I do not have much opinion on this except to say I don't watch the news or read the paper because of the way media is never presented neutrally and will always be biased. that cecilia jeng thing was way over publicitized IMHO. I feel really bad for the family and what they had to live through but I did not need to see the poor girls face everywhere I go.

smilez

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon
okay, call me paranoid but the two sites that contained the eye-witness account (www.ocap.ca was the other one) now don't work. i'd like to think that i'm not paranoid, and that it may just be a case of overloading the site? i don't know.
the link worked fine for me when you first posted it, if that's any consolation.....

Melissa

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
if the cops didn't identify themselves, that is huge! that could have changed everything.

it could have.

but it might not have.

people don't have much respect for the ol' boys in blue lately.

still, shocking that they shot the kid even if he did have a knife.

i have to say, while it sounds like they didn't start the whole thing, the boys did go looking for trouble and shouldn't be allowed to feel that they were justified in grouping up and going on the hunt to get back at other boys. don't deserve to be shot & killed but it's not like they were playing harmlessly when this incident happened, by their own admission it seems.

RJ45

TRIBE Member
This got a lot of attention on 680 News (the only news media I listen to during the day.. go team commuter). The last reports on the situation said the the SIU were being brought in to investigate the situation, and specifically around whether or not the plain clothes officers properly identified themselves.

Hopefully the SIU will uncover the real story. Until the verdict comes down, there's not a whole lot the media can do, right?

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Sorry to say, but get used to it. I grew up in a neighbourhood in Toronto where all sorts of crimes, including murders do not make the media. Sometimes the area is jsut too bad that you have to focus on other parts of the city.

The Media doesn't have a right to do anything, its all perspective. They tell us what they want us to think what happened.

Read some of the alternative newspapers like NOW and EYE and you'll get a diferent opinion.

btw, was this the kid that died at Sunnybrook?

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
The media did cover this when it happened. The Star, Globe, CITY, all had coverage. And I'm sure when the SIU is finished their investigation, they will follow up.
yep, i remember readin' about it in the star. i'm pretty sure it was on the front page...