• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I miss FTWK

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Those were some wicked nights!

You could be sure that every Wednesday would be sweet!

I once wrote an exam, came home, changed went out to see Max Graham and Oakenfold (Graham blowed him away), stayed out till the wee hours of the morning. Came home studied for 8 straight hours and wrote another exam!

Good times.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
i think that vench should write a bio on FTWK, what with him hosting the live to air every week for radio....he must have witnessed some CRAZY shit during those nights.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Amen, kids, amen...

I remember way back to winter, '99 - packing up the crew in Hamilton and making the trek downtown - one night I even brought my 'kid' brother out. That night was - and still is - the most honest & open convo we ever had... and I think Dr. Trance was spinning in the backroom during :)

Or finishing April exams in '00 and kicking off summer (and the end of university...) with Morillo.

*sighs and reminisces*

*asks self 'where does four years go?'*

Man, life was peachy when your biggest Thursday commitment was a 3:30 pm class, rather than 11 hours at the office w/an 8:30 meeting rolled in...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vench

TRIBE Promoter
a great night it was.

saw one of the best performances of two dj's on four turntables there one night - Marco Carola & Gaetano Parisio - I was just standing and dancing in disbelief at how sick it was.

and being able to host the live-to-air towards the end run of FTWK was fun too.

vench

dstarr

TRIBE Member
yes, those wednesdays nights were really sweet... funny because I was thinking about FTWK just last week...

So many good djs, good crowd... = good times.

I remember seeing Derrick May one week and then Stacey Pullen the week after... I remember Dave Clarke tore it up once too.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
My first night out in TO was Richie Hawtin at FTWK.

I was there that night too. So much fun!

I also LOved when Donald Glaude played at Tonic.

That was a great night for sure.

I miss Limelight too. I can go on and on about that.

vinder

TRIBE Member
werd, had some fantastic nights there. i still remember the max graham/paul oakenfold night where max opened up the place and absolutely destroyed it. first night he ever played sepia, as his encore tune. i was completely sober, not a drink or anything else in me and i swear i felt like i was rolling, just amazing.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
here here

FTWKnew

it was the place to be, mos def

some of my greatest, earliest memories in the scene where when me n' the crew were rocking out wed nights @ tonic (when i wasn't @ slimelight rooftop :^)

how long did they have it live to air on 100.7fm?

anyone?

'G

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
I remember vinder dancing that night actually. I wasn't on Tribe then, but I had just moved from a small WASPy town and had never seen*sorry vinder, I don't know what your religion/ethnicity is* an East Indian guy out dancing to techno before. It wasn't the novelty or anything, but he was going off, and I remember thinking to myself about Toronto's reputation as a mulitcultural city. I thought about how great it was to be in a place where people can be brought together by their tastes rather than their race. It was one of those moments of realisation that I HAD actually moved here and that what happens in this city is really special.

When I started posting here and I saw him in the pic thread I just started laughing and thought, "OMG....that is the guy from FTWK."

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
I remember vinder dancing that night actually. I wasn't on Tribe then, but I had just moved from a small WASPy town and had never seen*sorry vinder, I don't know what your religion/ethnicity is* an East Indian guy out dancing to techno before. It wasn't the novelty or anything, but he was going off, and I remember thinking to myself about Toronto's reputation as a mulitcultural city. I thought about how great it was to be in a place where people can be brought together by their tastes rather than their race. It was one of those moments of realisation that I HAD actually moved here and that what happens in this city is really special.

When I started posting here and I saw him in the pic thread I just started laughing and thought, "OMG....that is the guy from FTWK."

lol, nice won! that truly was a great night musically, as anyone who was there can attest.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vench
a great night it was.

saw one of the best performances of two dj's on four turntables there one night - Marco Carola & Gaetano Parisio - I was just standing and dancing in disbelief at how sick it was.

I have a recording of that set...but I'm sure you do too :)

I never had the opportunity to go, being in London and in class....same for Industry :(

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by vinder
lol, nice won! that truly was a great night musically, as anyone who was there can attest.

Maybe I'll post the review from my journal. I had never heard shit like that in my life, and it was the first time I heard Hawtin live.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vench
a great night it was.

and being able to host the live-to-air towards the end run of FTWK was fun too.

vench

Was that the one I was at?
Or was that just Gaetano?

I remember seeing Gaetano there and loving it...
Richie also rocked it there ...

pr0nstar :D

JAR

TRIBE Member
yeah, FTWK was the shit. Used to hit it up at least twice a month for about 2-3 years. Best nights I remember:

Donald Glaude
Sven Vath
The time Deko-ze subbed for Donald
Tony Humphries
the nights when locals played...fuck it seems like so long ago...I can't remember shit.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big Cheese
here here

FTWKnew

it was the place to be, mos def

some of my greatest, earliest memories in the scene where when me n' the crew were rocking out wed nights @ tonic (when i wasn't @ slimelight rooftop :^)

how long did they have it live to air on 100.7fm?

anyone?

'G

^^^^^Woo Hoo, for sliming and $2.50 Drinks! Best nights ever imo....Donald Glaude, Adam Freeland, Dj Dan (when he spun breaks), Dj Sneak, Derrick Carter, Dj Swamp....the list goes on....I miss that place more than FTWK

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JAR
yeah, FTWK was the shit. Used to hit it up at least twice a month for about 2-3 years. Best nights I remember:

Donald Glaude
Sven Vath
The time Deko-ze subbed for Donald
Tony Humphries
the nights when locals played...fuck it seems like so long ago...I can't remember shit.

Yeah...I remember that night when Donald missed his flight or something. Everyone was sooo dissapointed. I had a really good night that night. I was a little pissed Donald didn't come, but De-koze did a nice job. Those were hard shoes to fill.

smack

TRIBE Member
Yeah, FTWK brought in some wicked talent. One of my favourite nights was the Terry Francis/Eddie Richards night. Despite Terry loosing his records and playing with some borrowed ones, he still played great, along with Eddie. I was dancing up a storm to all those basslines.