• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I made tortillas.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
It suddenly dawned on me how deeply mayan I am. I felt very pround and a deep sense of ritual while making my tortillas, with the deep sense of love I feel I equal strong sense of shame for not knowing more of my heritage.

I realized that the making of tortillas has been passed down mayan to mayan for many generations and finally it was my turn to make tortillas. To feed my stomach, but never have I felt that a food has so much feed my soul.

deep

TRIBE Member
what about selling oranges at the side of the highway? is that a secret mayan tradition as well?

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
No, selling oranges is not as traditional. Although the mayans were the first to use a symbol for zero. Thank a mayan near you, so that would be me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
hey - my place is in need of a ritual tonight.

i feel like tortillas.

hurry along now! *chop chop*

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
The information I have come across tell me that the next earliest civilzations to use zero was 500 years later by the Hindus in India.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel
The information I have come across tell me that the next earliest civilzations to use zero was 500 years later by the Hindus in India.
Mayans came up with it independent of anyone else, but it was in use before them.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
In the development of written notation, a symbol for zero was evolved long after symbols for the other numbers were invented. The Babylonians used written symbols for numbers thousands of years before they invented a symbol for zero. Zero was introduced initially, not as a number to be used in computation, but as a position marker to distinguish between such numbers as 123, 1203, 1230, and 1023. The Maya, about the 1st century ad, used a small oval containing an inner arc to denote zero. About five centuries later the Hindus began to use a circle or a dot as a symbol for zero; the dot later fell into disuse. These Indian mathematicians wrote numbers in columns, and they used the zero to represent a blank column. The Hindu word for zero was sunya, meaning empty, or void; this word, translated and transliterated by the Arabs as sifr, is the root of the English words cipher and zero.
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2002. © 1993-2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

deep

TRIBE Member
source : scientific american / harvard

http://213.176.1.196:800/Default/www.sciam.com/askexpert/math/math11/default.htm

The first recorded zero appeared in Mesopotamia around 3 B.C. The Mayans invented it independently around 4 A.D. It was then devised in India in the mid-fifth century. It spread to Cambodia near the end of the seventh century, and into China and the Islamic countries at the end of the eighth century. Zero reached western Europe in the 12th century.
3 BC = before 4 AD

vox

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mutslaster
uh mercy, that totally didn't happen.
it's all lies! LIES I SAY!
dissidents? what dissidents?

*shrugs shoulders, looks innocent*