• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I made a nice metal detecting find in Lake Ontario yesderday!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
10610845_10152388206138581_8166461652538151194_n.jpg

10610850_10152388206143581_4144602335462749111_n.jpg

Finally the lake level has dropped a bit so I was able to get further out into the water. Some of the heavy lake ice may have moved some of the lakebed around during the winter and spring thaw and brought this ring into the range of my detector.

This wonderful 18k carved rose gold band engraved "Annie from Harry 1884." Two of Toronto's early residents. Hallmarked RW&CO 18K.

Veteze did a lot of research and found their marriage certificate... On February 5th, 1884 in the County of Wentworth, City of Hamilton, a Harry Hedge, 23, Shoemaker married Annie Bowen, 17, Spinster. Apparently, back in the day, all unmarried women were referred to as 'Spinster' or 'Widow'.

Here is their marriage in the registry:

10696244_10154560014980468_6706748735269385025_n.jpg

They had a son, William, in 1885. Records indicate Annie and son immigrated to the USA in 1887 and moved to Rochester NY where she lists herself as 'Widow' in US census documents. William married and moved to Jersey City, NJ where he volunteered for WWI and later volunteered for service in WWII at the age of 57 where he listed his occupation as 'unemployed'. William didn't have kids apparently so the trail of descendants ends there.

Stop Bill C-10

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
William was born November 7, 1884. Just 9 months after the wedding. They didn't waste any time. He was born in the County of York, Division of Toronto. Harry must have been PISSED when Annie lost that ring! Maybe it gave him a heart attack.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
For a 23 year old shoemaker he sure went all out to get a nice ring for her. It is 18k and really well made. He could have gone 9k or 10k or even silver. Classy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
maybe buddy went broke trying to pay off the ring being a shoemaker (from the registry it appears the shoemaking business was pretty crowded in Toronto) and committed suicide. so Annie tossed the ring in the lake out of sadness

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
maybe buddy went broke trying to pay off the ring being a shoemaker (from the registry it appears the shoemaking business was pretty crowded in Toronto) and committed suicide. so Annie tossed the ring in the lake out of sadness

yer not a goth, are you? ;)

acheron

TRIBE Member
I did my time back in the early 1990's (mostly for the easy hookups with freaky girls) ... lol

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting thing is that whenever I explain to people that I find gold rings in the lake, it is usually the married people who speculate on someone tossing their ring into the lake on purpose. The single people usually figure a ring was lost while swimming.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
There is also suicide or murder to account for of course!

The body rots. . . the ring slips off. . .