1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I like it in/on <insert place name here>

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by Krzysiu, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I am aware that this trend of facebook status updates are for breast cancer awareness month but I am not sure I get the reference.

Last years "Blue" or "Green" or "None" was referring to women's undergarments, specifically the braziers. I got it. Also, most of my friends have boring sounding bras.

This years little meme, I am not sure what their referencing... I know its for cancer yet I still assume it's people posting where they like to what... expose their breasts? Have sex?

Help a clueless out.

2. stanimal

stanimal TRIBE Member

From what I heard, people are answering the question:

"Where do you leave your purse?"

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

yeah and last years was about your bra colour.

*shakes head*

I CAN NEVER BE PART OF THIS !!!

[jai]

4. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

if you had a purse you could.

5. glych t.anomaly

but i dont :(

[jai]

6. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

then I know someone who leaves their purse on a photocopier... breast cancer awareness or not, I think that's a pretty stupid place to leave a purse.

I mean, I have copies of forms that need to be on Kalemic's desk by 5pm... how am I going to get any work done when someone's leaving her shit all over the place?!

7. derek

derek TRIBE Member

shit. i'm more lost than you are.

8. Ninjetta

Ninjetta TRIBE Member

Jai you could ask for a murse for xmas to feel a part of this silly trend :D

I personally like it willy nilly all over the place, but never the photocopier or on the floor in a public washroom.

That being said, I didn't realize this *purse* one had to do with breast cancer awareness, so apparently I'm almost as clueless.

9. BAd Luck

BAd Luck TRIBE Member

ad trend fail.

10. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Actually a rehash. It started soon after the bra one, but lost steam (most probably because it was too soon and most ppl were over the bra one). A few of my friends posted the purse one as their status over half a year ago.

The male equivalent (for colon or testicular cancer) is to post your shoe size.
    ex: Your shoe size is 11. You post: "11 inches" on your status ;)

11. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

after the spamming, outright cash grabs, viruses and now this garbage i barely go on crapbook anymore

12. glych t.anomaly

i dont get spam, i dont see adverts or anything that asks me for money, i install no apps, and so therefore get no viruses via bookface.

[jai]

13. Ninjetta

Ninjetta TRIBE Member

But do you have a murse yet?? :p I have a mac therefore I don't get any viruses hehehe. I don't see the adverts either and I install lots of apps but then delete them when their novelty wears off.

14. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

When will these Cancer people stop marketing and start curing? This "cure for cancer" thing seems to have just become some huge fundraising industry.

15. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Werd (wait, do people still say that or am I the only one?). THIS.

But "Cure" marketing seems to be wildly successful. I wonder how it stacks up against other major ad campaigns (which are probably for things that cause cancer, à la beer or fast food)?

16. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Oh, and I couldn't really post my FB status - I hang my purse on the back door when I get home from work...

17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

the cure for hunger is a lot cheaper than the cure for cancer

18. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Exactly why my wife left the industry. The overhead and waste at these companies is retarded.

19. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

this needs to be quoted.

20. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Sounds like another woman's only cancer event. As if men don't get breast cancer.

21. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

that's a good point. for the few men that do have breast cancer, its sure to make them feel like shit, and even more stigmatized. but hey you're a man you can take it what are you gonna cry? lol

22. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

fight like a girl!

23. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Does this mean that women can grow mustaches for prostate cancer too then?

I think I'd look hot with some handlebars.

24. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

That's not the same:

Men can and do get Breast Cancer.

Women can't get Prostate Cancer.

25. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I know. I was just being facetious anyway.

But it's never been said that men can't participate in actual breast cancer events, even though they are rather pink.

I don't count the facebook ones - honestly their just weird don't seem to have a point. How does not telling anyone what it's about raise awareness? It doesn't actually tell anyone any useful information about the disease or even fudraising options. I doubt anyone on facebook upon finding out what the statuses were about was like "HOLY CRAP THERES A BREAST CANCER?". I find it just as annoying as the "do you like your mom? copy and paste this in your status if you do!" type ones.