1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I just signed up for twitter

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bass-Invader, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

@DrSamuelJohnson

'tis said that those who do not learn from the errors of Historie are doom'd to repeat it: most evidenc'd by NEW-RAVE

2. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

Attn. foodies: Cheeseboutique's @IlirPristine and @AfrimPristine on Twitter giving updates about amazing food things.

3. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

Has twitter gone down the shitter yet?

4. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

its better than ever!

5. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Now it is clear that the decline of a language must ultimately have political and economic causes: it is not due simply to the bad influences of this or that individual writer. But an effect can become a cause, reinforcing the original cause and producing the same effect in an intensified form, and so on indefinitely. A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.

-George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language"

The Canadian Press: Students failing because of Twitter, texting and no grammar teaching

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

For a less alarmist more nuanced account try "Why Johnny And Janey Can't Read, And Why Mr. and Ms. Smith Can't Teach: The challenge of multiple media literacies in a tumultuous time".

http://individual.utoronto.ca/markfederman/WhyJohnnyandJaneyCantRead.pdf

7. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

don't trash talk my twitter

8. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

This dude just added me.

Full of golden nuggets of information, he is:

""If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel then light a match and create your own light with God's help." M Bowser MarkBowser.com"

Mark Bowser (MarkBowser) on Twitter

9. synchronizator

synchronizator TRIBE Member

@listentojm

10. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

@ThePinkCiggie

11. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

It's still mostly useless.

12. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

and now with ads!

13. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Just got a RT from @questlove.

My inner-geek is squealing with joy.

Heh.

14. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Twitter has been hacked. Nobody is following nobody - Now I have a chance at catching AK and Bieber. Although I tend to always finish everything off in twitter with #justinbieber just for the hell of it.

15. alexd

how many twitter addicts had panic or heart attacks today I wonder....

16. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Probably more then anybody would seriously consider. I use it mostly for sports updates as I'm junkie for that stuff #justinbieber.

17. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

I'm so cool now that i actually get twitter. Talk about being behind the curve. :rolleyes:

If anyone feels like following me, I'm @MeenaC.

Desperate for any followers :(

18. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I joined twitter a couple of months ago to find that as I thought, like the rest of the internet it's full of mostly useless tripe from people with nothing to say.

Good for following news and I think that's about it.

19. alexd

This. And you'll find even the news is mostly created from 1 source and journalists will create a tweet of a tweet of that source. The journalists have become so completely lazy and yet they fluff each other up constantly (well at least the Canadian ones do).

I think it is fine for deep live political news (@kady in Canada for example), and also when there is a disaster in the world and regular people are tweeting from the ground - at least until the journalists get a hold of that and claim it (curate it) as their own and filter the shit out of it with their retarded and obvious 'analyses'.

Other than that, you can actually feel your brain cells die while reading tweets, for the most parts.

20. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

So, what are you guys saying, you won't add me? :p

I agree there's a lot of crap. But i also find there's a lot of funny shit on there and that's what i go on it for. And for breaking news it's decent.

21. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

You're all obviously using twitter wrong.

22. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

'splain, Lucy.....

23. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I'm contemplating joining so I can follow a very limited group of people:

Ai WeiWei
    Margaret Atwood
    Steve Paikin
    The Depanneur to know what they have for dinner
    Instant stuff like elections in iran, demonstrations in Cairo or Sao Paulo
    And whoever is tracking the Rob Ford mess

But I'm afraid of being bombarded with endless retweets of crap!

24. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Twitter is the hotness.

25. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

@rickygervais is hilarious. Especially with his atheist vs christianity debates with his troll followers.