• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I just did yoga: why don't I "get it"?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
So many people I know go on about yoga like it's instant relaxation....so I've tried it. I signed up for a class at western, and couldn't get into it. I have tried to go to classes at the gym, but I always make an excuse and skip it..

Well tonight I skipped it again, but did it at home with my "OM yoga" book - and although I feel good after doing the warm up 4 times and the standing poses twice, I'm still not convinced.

I really need some kind of exercise to relax me...something to balance the weights/cardio. Should I just stick with the yoga, and it will come?

Maybe I'm just not finding the flow since I'm still following the book for poses??

Yoga buffs, comments please.

Scarlett

TRIBE Member
Take a class, even if it's just once. That way you'll learn proper form from the instructor. Maybe it'll be more beneficial to your workout.

Trillian

TRIBE Member
finding what makes you happy

I can attest the same results, I've tried yoga and the only relaxing outcome is finding myself dozing off from boredom.

My suggestion is to find something that you truly enjoy; that naturally takes care of results and puts your mind at ease.

anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck :)

Torso

TRIBE Member
There are different kinds of yoga, and how much you get out of it very often depends on the teacher and/or environment. I do not suggest that you give up on the yoga, you have barely given it a chance. Yoga is a lifetime practice, one that is not grasped overnight.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Don't have any expectations, I'm sure thats clouding your experience.

GO TO A CLASS.

I can't stress this enough. I recommend Yoga Space. It's small classes and lots of nice little touches like neck massages. Doing it at home is really only for people who are a bit more avanced (and even then, most people still go to classes alot because it really is the best way to practice).

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Don't have any expectations, I'm sure thats clouding your experience.

GO TO A CLASS.

I can't stress this enough. I recommend Yoga Space. It's small classes and lots of nice little touches like neck massages. Doing it at home is really only for people who are a bit more avanced (and even then, most people still go to classes alot because it really is the best way to practice).
I'm just so freakin nervous.
Moreso than going to a step class, where I'd FOR SURE make an ass out of myself.
:eek:

Edit: I live near the "yoga institute" (??) on Eglinton...is that one of those places where it's just all yoga? Is that like Yoga Space?

Scarlett

TRIBE Member
no one in class will pay any attention...they're just busy on their own form and breathing...if u fall, just don't scream "i've fallen..." ah...u get it :)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Torso

TRIBE Member
I started with some great beginners classes at Downward Dog on Queen West. They have a few of these classes a week, and you can do drop-in... just pay for the one class.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Beginners class (intros) are great. Most yoga studios offer them.

I never pay attention to anyone else in class. Thats the thing about yoga. You focus on your breathing and your body. Theres no time to wonder about what others are doing. And through this concentration, you become relaxed.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I bought a tape and couldn't get into it either.
Then Echootje took me to that place on yonge and college and I experienced a real Yoga class. It's truly like night and day.
I need to start going back in fact.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Bean

TRIBE Member
So much good advice in this thread!

Taking a class will be a help.

Give it a few shots - the first time you try, you'll be focussed on not falling over, being able to "get" the poses, etc.

and have fun with it!

like kevin, i don't stare at the people in my class and am totally selfish - focussing on my breathing, posture, etc. - most people are like that (makes it less intimidating).

finding the right studio is also key - get some recommendations and try a bunch out - some even offer the first class free or at a reduced rate.

peace,

sabina

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
I bought a tape and couldn't get into it either.
Then Echootje took me to that place on yonge and college and I experienced a real Yoga class. It's truly like night and day.
I need to start going back in fact.
I was just looking at their website (The Yoga Sanctuary, it's called) -- it looks really interesting.
Maybe I should just go to an intro class and get it over with. First one is always the hardest, right?

That one would be really convenient since it's right on the subway line.

But holy feck....expensive.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I don't really remember my first yoga experience being all that difficult actually. The balance poses were the only poses that made me feel a little out of place because I kept putting my foot back down for balance.
However, everyone in a yoga class has been in the position you are in right now and you truly have nothing to be embarassed about. If anything, they are probably thinking how happy they are that you have given it a shot as many people that want to do yoga never give it a try.

My sister actually came to me this week and asked if i'd start taking Yoga with her, we're gonna have some bonding time :)

*you're right about the price.. 15/class is a luxury not many would want to afford.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
True relaxation comes to those who truly desire it.
:)

I effectively do yoga before my capoeira classes. You have to stretch out the body pretty hardcore to avoid injury.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
I go to Big Strech Yoga at bayview and millwood...just north of....looking for a new yoga centre....kev what are these space classes? they sound interesting. i want a new place close to my home.

~allie~

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper

Maybe I should just go to an intro class and get it over with. First one is always the hardest, right?
You totally should! Yoga Sanctuary is a great spot as well.

It can be expensive, but the first class is usually cheaper (just mention it beforehand - I know Yoga Sanctuary does this). If you get into it, you can buy 10 class passes and it actually isn't that bad.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
w00t, the Yoga Sanctuary is also on danforth ave not too far from my house.
I'm gonna go for the Level 1 ashtanga tomorrow with my sister.

*please don't fall down, please don't fall down*

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
the class is being taught by elisa.. she's the cutie that runs the sunday class that echootje and i have attended in the past.

go cute yoga instructors!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders