1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I just bought a polaroid spectra camera at a garage sale, can I get film anyhwere?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by lucky1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

I got some expired film with it, and we had a good time taking pics at the island yesterday, but now I'm hooked and I konw polaroid doesn't make film anywhere but I heard I can still get film somewhere?

2. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Ebay is your best bet, you can get boxes of film in bulk.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

The Impossible Project bought Polaroid's hardware and have started producing polaroid instant films...

Here's their page of Spectra filmstocks:

IMPOSSIBLE - film

4. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Seriously, is there any where in the city I can get some instant film without having to order online? Too much of a hassle for me, since we all just use our digital cameras. However, I was tidying up at my Mom's place and uncovered an almost brand new Polaroid Spectra Camera System still in the box. It's one of the really good ones from what I remember.

5. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

didn't polaroid just launch a whole new line of cameras, creative directed by lady gaga?

as random as that is, I think I saw some and they looked cool, do they not take the same film?

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

No you cannot just go to a store and buy polaroid film. They stopped making it. Like VCR tapes.

7. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Active Surplus?

8. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

I was totally thinking of this place because they carry lots of old stock of everything. I'm heading there this weekend, just to see if they have any Polaroid film.

9. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

You should have done your research.

-jM
    A&D

10. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

have you tried Vistek on Queen East. i bought Spectra film there a few years ago

11. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Don't waste your time.

There is none in the city.

Even the place 'you bought it that one time'

12. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

A good local bet for buying expired film would be the PHSC's Photographica Fairs..

The next one is October 17th.

PHSC - Photographica-Fair

13. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

let me know if you find any. The camera was only two bucks and I got a few packs of old film for two bucks. We took the camera to centre island and had some fun taking pics. So different then digital nice to have a tangible pic to see imediatly :)

14. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

y'know, I just recently read somewhere, that the Polaroid Camera exists right up there with some of the most significant inventions of the 20th century.
    I mean, do you realize what calculations it must take to produce an accurate emulsion on a film stock, instantaneously?.....
    And so, kudos, to all you's who's desperately trying to keep this not-so-toy like invention alive!
    It's right up there with the original grammaphone!
    kudos...

15. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I remember I once got a Polaroid camera for my birthday. I felt so grown up.

16. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

If you Google "Polaroid Film Toronto" Tribe is #1 in search rank with an old thread from 2008!

17. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

just as an aside I'm not sure that's true. If what I've read about google's search algorithms is true, then search results vary by the searcher's history. basically google can tell where you come from and where you go to from their site, in an aggregate sense. over time you build a profile for yourself and google determines ok, he spends a lot of time on this particular site (Tribe) so we're going to throw up Tribe results when he searches a term because hey, he was probably wanting to find the answer on that site anyway.

18. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Don't waste your time.