• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I *have* to leave my job...

starr

TRIBE Member
It just dawned on me today that I will never forgive myself if I stay in my current position in this company. My boss is a twat. Seriously. She's not the asshole manager I once had, but she's definitely not brilliant either.

I'm totally underappreciated and I'm going to leave. Yes, I realize tribe is not my blog, but I feel like if I post this thread and update it whenever something crappy happens at work I'll become more motivated to start looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Every now and then, I have a rare good day and it somehow keeps me here. Well no more. Every really idiotic thing that happens I'll post here, so every 'not awful' day I have I can read this thread and remember why I HAVE TO LEAVE.

Hopefully this thread will be dead in a month or two as I'll have left (woohoo). If you feel the same way about your job and need some a 'concrete' reminder to reference that will help motivate you to leave then please use this thread as a tool as well.

*breathes*

starr

TRIBE Member
So, today's mini-drama. We have a freelance assistance who has shit all to do, while I'm swamped and so is my intern. My boss suggests that my intern do some filing and I say to her, well she's busy on project x, y and z, so maybe the freelance loser can do it. The freelance loser has a masters degree and my boss doesn't want her to do menial tasks.

I responded with this face : |

Aka, you're a fucking idiot, stop underusing certain resources and stretching others you moron.

My boss: "Does the freelancer really have nothing to do?"
Me: "Yes"
My boss: "Well we'll see, let me talk to her and find out what's going on."

Guess what? She had nothing to do and is now filing. I love how you don't even know what's going on in your own department.

and
*breathes*
back to work now :|

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
Now here's a thread I belong in! I'm totally at a crossroads about whether or not I should stay at my job and more and more I'm leaning towards leaving but I'm having a really had time deciding what to do. Every day it's a constant battle with my overwhelming desire to just go on lunch one day and never return.

My situation is this: I'm a designer working on starting my own business and am currently working in a boring as all hell office job. There's nothing completely horrible about it but there isn't anything good either except that it's fairly accomodating to my school schedule, close to home, pays ok and good benefits. The job itself is completely unrewarding, boring and nowhere near challenging enough. I'd resigned myself to staying here until I was ready to do my own thing but I'm just not sure I can keep doing it. However the thought of job hunting for something I want to leave before long anyways seems like a gigantic pain in the ass. Also, what if I find something that's worse than this? This is my list of pros & cons so far about staying:

pros
-close to home, zero transportation costs & not having to deal with ttc
-don't have to do much all day & can get away with stuff like working on my own projects if I don't have real work to do
-can take the last part of my course in the fall without any hassles getting the 5 days off
-if I wait til after new years to quit then I'll get paid for that year's unused vacation when I quit and any extra money I can get my mitts on is much needed since I'm starting a business

cons
-every day I want to gouge out my eyes with a rusty fork rather than go to work.
-I get bored really easily and I can now do this job in my sleep which makes the days really long. Also, because I don't have to think about anything I do, if there's anything I'm stressed or upset about, I just obsess about it all day because my work doesn't occupy my mind.
-I am SO not a morning person and taking a 9-5 job was a huge error in judgement on my part.
-there's a woman in this department (who I used to always bitch about in the whining thread) who I absolutely despise. She's on some mysterious leave of absence right now. I dread that she'll come back before I leave this place.

Yeah...then there's the question of if I do leave here for another job, what kind of job...?

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
gatekeeper - i feel you. i think your pros superduper outway your cons though. you hate your job cuz you're bored and there's this one woman who bugs you. i'm in the same situation.

if you work hard on starting your own thing and really stop caring about your 9-5, seeing it just as a means to starting your own thing, then it will all fall into place. once i got really productive with my "Dream Work Stuff" after-work hours (and sometimes my during-work hours), then my sucky day job didn't seem to matter as much because i was focussing my energies on what really did matter.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
You're probably right. I'm just not the most patient person out there and it sucks being stuck doing something when you know that you're way smarter and more talented than that. The only thing to me that really makes sense would be to leave for a job in upholstery to further my skills before doing my furniture full-time. However, the very few jobs for that I've found advertised for that seem to be in the burbs and for significantly less $. Dragging my ass to Woodbridge sans car for a big pay cut isn't really a viable option for me.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
gatekeeper - i'm sure there are tons of skills that you need in order to better yourself. especially if you want to start your own business. make a list of skills and needs that you have, and see which are more viable right now. perhaps you need to better both your upholstering skills and your business skills, but maybe, right now, you can take a start-up business class downtown.

i'm also a big believer in there being a reason for everything: is there someone at your work who can help you in terms of learning about how to start your own business? i'm sure your work has a lot more resources to it than you can see with your "grr i hate everything" glasses. i realized fairly quickly, when i took a good look at my own work environment, that i had a LOT to learn in terms of project planning and management, and that i was in the perfect position to learn a lot of those skills.

it's especially easy to "use" a job for your own profit when you don't like the people or the job that much!! ha!

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
Those are all good points and I'm sure there are things I've learned from this job that will be useful to me in terms of being organized and multi-tasking and whatnot. I've actually taken a couple of seminars on business stuff that were quite helpful. There was a really good one I attended last year geared specifically for artists & designers that I learned a lot from. My actual workplace doesn't have much to offer in terms of learning new things or advancement really. It's kind of one of those places where everyone has a few things they're responsible for and that's that, and other than basic paperwork, organization and time management skills there's not much carryover into what I'm getting into.

I think that I just need to make peace with this being a means to an end and not get sucked into being so negative all the time about it. Either that or win the lottery or find me a sugar daddy! :D

Soulster

TRIBE Member
starr, i feel your pain. sometimes it's easier to sit back and take it because you know what your current situation is like and even though it mostly sucks the fear of the future/unknown is what prevents you from looking for a job in earnest. it doesn't help that looking for jobs can suck.

but it can also be exciting! try and take the positive approach (though take it from me, i KNOW it's hard) to your job search. onwards and upwards! you deserve better than this.

and being under this bitch is most likely slowly sucking your soul. it could even affect your performance negatively at your next job.

sugar

TRIBE Member
UGH I struggle with this every day. It's gotten so bad that when people ask how work is going, I tell them I don't want to talk about it.

I have it good in a lot of ways, but I am SO dissatisfied with my work life.

Pros:
- I work for a wonderful employer. He treats me like part of the family.
- The pay is good.
- I have a lot of autonomy and decision-making power.
- Job stability.
- I like my coworkers.
- I like most of the tasks/responsibilities that make up my job.

Cons:
- I commute 2 hours per day to get here and back.
- I am so sick of the subject matter I write/design/event-plan about.
- I am so bored I want to pull my teeth out.
- There is no room to move whatsoever. I've expanded the role as far as it can go. For me to move up the ranks I'd have to be an engineer or the owner.

sugar

TRIBE Member
But my trump card is that I work in the retaining wall industry :|

Can't get much sexier than that.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
starr said:
So, today's mini-drama. We have a freelance assistance who has shit all to do, while I'm swamped and so is my intern. My boss suggests that my intern do some filing and I say to her, well she's busy on project x, y and z, so maybe the freelance loser can do it. The freelance loser has a masters degree and my boss doesn't want her to do menial tasks.

I responded with this face : |

Aka, you're a fucking idiot, stop underusing certain resources and stretching others you moron.

My boss: "Does the freelancer really have nothing to do?"
Me: "Yes"
My boss: "Well we'll see, let me talk to her and find out what's going on."

Guess what? She had nothing to do and is now filing. I love how you don't even know what's going on in your own department.

and
*breathes*
back to work now :|
Wow. Just wow.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
But my trump card is that I work in the retaining wall industry :|

Can't get much sexier than that.
I see your retaining wall industry and raise you professional liability insurance for chartered accountants. (and add to that that I'm an interior designer by education)

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
we should have a job trading experiment... where we all post our shitty jobs and then people say, "i'll do yours if you'll do mine!"

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sugar

TRIBE Member
Mine isn't shitty by any means. It's just that I've been here for 5 years now and I'm bored out of my mind. Plus, the commute is killing me.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
we should have a job trading experiment... where we all post our shitty jobs and then people say, "i'll do yours if you'll do mine!"
Maybe we could make some reality-type show about it like those ones where the wives change families or something...then make enough money to quit said jobs! :D

DataLadybug

TRIBE Member
To everyone considering leaving their jobs, but still a little unsure about it, my advice is to START INTERVIEWING. It does not mean you have to leave where you are, but it shows you what's out there. Nothing gets you more motivated than getting out on that first interview... then you realize how much more is out there. It's easy after that.

I recently quit a job that was totally destroying me and I've never felt better. There are other jobs out there -- trust me. Life is too short to be wasting your time on a job you hate. My thought on it... if you're going to be doing something for eight hours a day, you'd better like it.

Again, I can't stress enough that there's no harm in simply interviewing. You're not committing to anything and you get to see where you stand in the job market. I guarantee, after that first interview, the next step is so much easier.

Good luck! :)

Scarlett

TRIBE Member
I just had a job interview yesterday...they scheduled me for a second one with them to meet the presidents....ack! I really hope I have it...anything to leave what i'm in now!!!!

I feel all your pain here.

For the last 6 months i've been stressed out because of my job (hope to be my previous). I NEVER discuss the details of my job to anyone cuz i literally get sick to my stomach. One time i passed out at my desk. That's how much i hate it.
I won't even discuss what my job is about now....cuz i don't wanna throw up on my laptop at this moment.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I worked for 3 years at my last job in Canada and, overall, I hated the last 2 years of it. I had a unique job with a prestigious company and the pay was good so these pros made me stay - moreso because I was saving to travel. My issues were that my boss alternated between being an asshole and ignoring me and that I was bored (either very busy or so slow).

But ultimately I'm glad I stayed in a job that I did not like because it looked great on my resume and got me some choice interviews. I did learn a decent amount there too. Now I am very happy with my current job (and a couple sweet temp jobs I landed while abroad) and without the 3 years experience at my former job I would not have even gotten the interview. And it was a woman I worked with at my old job who referred me for my job now.

So my advice is to learn as much as possible and make some great contacts in your job until you're ready to move on.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

starr

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:
Wow. Just wow.
Wow at me, that I'm whining about nothing?
Or wow at my boss that's she's clueless on how to manage people?

If it's at me, trust me that incident is the tip of the iceberg. She's almost been fired twice. I stuck up for her before, but when the third time inevitably comes along - if I'm still here - I think I'm going to keep quiet.

----
To the rest of you, thanks for the motivational words. I still haven't started looking, but maybe this weekend I'll get on it.

Today at work: not horrible, not good, as per usual. I'm sure I'll have an incompetence update shortly though...it's still early in the day.

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
L'ilMisSunshine said:
I worked for 3 years at my last job in Canada and, overall, I hated the last 2 years of it. I had a unique job with a prestigious company and the pay was good so these pros made me stay - moreso because I was saving to travel. My issues were that my boss alternated between being an asshole and ignoring me and that I was bored (either very busy or so slow).

But ultimately I'm glad I stayed in a job that I did not like because it looked great on my resume and got me some choice interviews. I did learn a decent amount there too. Now I am very happy with my current job (and a couple sweet temp jobs I landed while abroad) and without the 3 years experience at my former job I would not have even gotten the interview. And it was a woman I worked with at my old job who referred me for my job now.

So my advice is to learn as much as possible and make some great contacts in your job until you're ready to move on.
i'm going to stick this job out for a while. i look around the company and all the dumb/clueless bitches in fabulous/semi-fabulous positions now had to deal with a lot of bullshit when the first started because we all started in the same evil departments.

i don't even take things personally anymore.

but regardless of whether i stay here or not, i'm taking pia's advice.

starr

TRIBE Member
so i told my boss today that she has 4 weeks to either put up (my raise) or shut up (au revoir)
of course i used much more diplomatic terms and didn't phrase it like that at all

now we wait and see
i was also offered a decent part-time gig yesterday and am feeling a lot better about quitting (if necessary)

everything is coming up my way. so far.
AND i feel a lot better about myself.

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
the gatekeeper said:
However, the very few jobs for that I've found advertised for that seem to be in the burbs and for significantly less $. Dragging my ass to Woodbridge sans car for a big pay cut isn't really a viable option for me.
..but most jobs aren't advertised.

I've got to say the best way to get a job is word of mouth, and "informational" interviews. (plug here for 'what color is your parachute?")

After reading these comments, although I had to give up $$$, I sincerely don't regret giving up my office job.

(...and am grateful for my support systems!)

Good luck to you all- I hope you find your paths in life that make you happy and fulfilled!