1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"I have a DREAM ..."

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

40 years ago, dr. martin luthor king jr. led a march of 250,000 people, while MILLIONS across the united states of america and around the world watched and listened on their televisions and radios. they marched through the streets of washington to the lincoln memorial, where MLK gave his now legendary speech.

legend has it that he started using his written speech, but then, after being moved by the sheer power of the crowd and the moment, he discarded his speech and began to preach from his soul. this resulted in what may be the single greatest and most recognized speech of all time.

this speech now symbolizes the fight for racial equality. it was a speech that changed a nation; it inspired, and continues to inspire, civil rights activists across the planet.

this is what gets me the most.

i think one of the greatest and most important skills that we have as human beings is the ability to INSPIRE other people, whether through a speech or a piece of writing or a movie or a song or by our actions, nothing impresses me more than to see one person create hope and inspire action in others.

one of the most direct ways of inspiring others is through speech. so, in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of MLK's speech, this thread is about, you guessed it, SPEECHES.

what are the best speeches you have ever heard? they can be real or fictional, televised or in movies, books or in person, political or comical or just plain cool; they can be from teacher to student, coach to team, gangster to gangster, whatever.

if they are powerful enough to bring tears to your eyes or send shivers down your spine or make you pump your fist in the air, well, then, all the better. :)

2. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

That scene in "The American President" when Micheal Douglas goes on about letting people burn the flag. I watch the movie just for that speach.

ok, so its ficticious, but a good speach non the less.

3. lok

lok TRIBE Member

The monologue Nicole Kidman has in Eyes Wide Shut. So its not a speech, but wow. Just wow.

4. Klubmasta Will

"my name is andrew shephard and i AM the american president."

i totally agree.

ditto for jeff bridges speech as the american president at the end of 'THE CONTENDER'. wow.

even bill pullman's cheesy speech as the president in 'INDEPENDANCE DAY' was kinda cool.

5. Klubmasta Will

i think my second favourite real life speech of all time would have to be JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

i mean, how fucking poetic and gorgeous was that speech?

and why can't today's speech-writers come up with anything even close to that good?

6. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Nice thread, Will.

I would have to say first and foremost the King speech you mentioned. The man gives me shivers everytime I even read the speech.

I can't think of anything else off-hand, except for the Cynthia McKinney speech I watched last night. She reminds me of King in some ways.

Oh yeah Ralph Nader made a great speech at U of T a couple of years ago. I love his quote "I hear you saying that you're not turned onto politics. Well let me tell you, the lesson of history is, if you're not turned onto politics, then politics will turn on you."

7. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

-ID4

8. Day Dream

Day Dream TRIBE Member

This is the complete text of Dr. King's famous
    speech delivered on the steps of the Lincoln
    Memorial in Washington DC on August 28, 1963.

"I am happy to join with you today in what will go
    down in history as the greatest demonstration for
    freedom in the history of our nation.
    Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

As we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied, as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We can never be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring."

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

9. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

I get choked up listening to Churchill.

May 8, 1945 London

My dear friends, this is your hour. This is not victory of a party or of any class. It's a victory of the great British nation as a whole. We were the first, in this ancient island, to draw the sword against tyranny. After a while we were left all alone against the most tremendous military power that has been seen. We were all alone for a whole year.

There we stood, alone. Did anyone want to give in? [The crowd shouted "No."] Were we down-hearted? ["No!"] The lights went out and the bombs came down. But every man, woman and child in the country had no thought of quitting the struggle. London can take it. So we came back after long months from the jaws of death, out of the mouth of hell, while all the world wondered. When shall the reputation and faith of this generation of English men and women fail? I say that in the long years to come not only will the people of this island but of the world, wherever the bird of freedom chirps in human hearts, look back to what we've done and they will say "do not despair, do not yield to violence and tyranny, march straightforward and die if need be-unconquered." Now we have emerged from one deadly struggle-a terrible foe has been cast on the ground and awaits our judgment and our mercy.

10. DaftPunky

DaftPunky TRIBE Member

I've heard excerpts of that speech in so many different forms/mediums/places so many times that I don't even hear it any more. I recognize it, but hardly pay attention.

Not that it wasn't profound or anything, but I've grown "tolerant" of it. It's definitely been "over-played".

11. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I think that's still my favourite quote ever.

12. Klubmasta Will

i liked:

- jack nicholson's "you can't handle the truth" speech on the witness stand in 'A FEW GOOD MEN'

- robin william's "seize the day" speech to his students in 'DEAD POET'S SOCIETY'

- al pacino's "you think you like me? you ain't like me mutha fucka. you a punk" speech to billy blanco from the bronx in 'CARLITO'S WAY'

- kevin costner's "back and to the left" closing argument speech in 'JFK'

- the coach's "nobody, and i mean NO-BODY, comes into our house ... and pushes us around" speech in 'RUDY'.

- denzell washington's "a black man will stop a bullet just the same as a white man ... TEAR IT UP! TEAR IT UP!" speech in 'GLORY'.

13. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

Mel Gibson in Braveheart

Conan in Conan the Barbarian

14. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

Thanks for posting the MLK speech Dawn. :)

Kennedy did indeed give some great speeches. My favourite was when he announced that within ten years man would be on the moon and than America would put him there.

Toward the end of the speech he had a line that went something like "... we will do all of these things, and we will not do them because they are easy. We will do these things because they are hard."

I have invoked that philosophy many times. Doing something because it is difficult perfectly illustrates the fight of good against evil in our lives.

Clinton gave a couple good speeches. In his first State of the Union address he started by spending fifteen minutes going over all of the accomplishments of his government, the successes, winfalls, and breakthroughs. He then finish that segment with:

"... as President of the United States it is my duty in this address to report to you on the State of our Union. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to inform you that the State of Our Union is STRONG!!!"

The standing ovation was thunderous!

15. Klubmasta Will

oh, fuck yes. his speech made me want to pick up a sword and start killing english men.

- russell crowe's "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the armies of the North, general of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance ... in this life or the next." speech in 'GLADIATOR'.

16. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I was going to mention that speech but I opted for Independance day. :p
    Script writers should write every speech.

17. Littlest Hobo

I can only watch that film once a year, for the same reason. Or at least burn down ye olde english pub down the street.

Another good speech, though dubious in message, is Gekko's from Wall Street.

18. Klubmasta Will

another fuck yes!

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, greed is good. Greed works, greed is right. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all its forms - greed for life, money, love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge in mankind. And greed, mark my words, will save not only Teldar Paper ... but the other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

19. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

From MLK to Wall Street.

20. Red-eye-jedI

Red-eye-jedI TRIBE Member

Let The Word Go Forth

Engraving on the granite near President John F. Kennedy's
    graveside. From his inaugural address - chosen by Mrs.
    Kennedy:

"Let the word go forth from this time and place to
    friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a
    new generation of Americans."

"Let every nation know whether it wishes us well or
    ill that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any
    hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the
    survival and success of liberty."

"Now the trumpet summons us again not as a call to
    bear arms, though arms we need, not as a call to battle,
    though embattled we are, but as a call to bear the burden
    of a long twilight struggle, a struggle against the common
    enemies of man, tyranny, poverty, disease and war itself."

"In the long history of the world only a few
    generations have been granted the roll of defending freedom
    in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this
    responsibility, I welcome it."
    "The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to
    this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it,
    and the glow from that fire can truly light the world."

"And so my fellow Americans, ask not what your country
    can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. My
    fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America can do
    for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of
    man."

"With good conscience our only sure reward, with
    history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to
    lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help,
    but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our
    own."

21. Klubmasta Will

they're still cool speeches. i also posted one of al pacino right before he put a cap in john leguizamo's ass.

22. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

The West Wing is THE speech-lovers TV show.

23. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Alice
    Well, last summer at Cape Cod - I don't suppose you remember one night in the dining room, there was a young Naval officer sitting near us. He was with two other officers. The waiter brought him a message during dinner, at which point he left the table? Well...I first saw him that morning in the lobby. He was checking in and he was following the bellboy with his luggage to the elevator. He glanced at me as he walked pastbut didn't stop until he had gone a few more steps. Then he turned and looked at me. He didn't say anything. He didn't smile. In fact, it seemed to me that he scowled. Maybe I did the same thing. I was very stirred by him. That whole day I lay on the beach, lost in dreams. That afternoon you and I made love and talked about our future, and our child. Later we were sitting on the balcony and he passed below us without up. Just the sight of him stirred me deeply and I thought if he wanted me, I could not have resisted. I thought I was ready to give up you, the child, my whole future. And yet at the same time - if you can understand it - you were dearer to me than ever, and I stroked your foreheadand kissed your hair, and at that moment my love for you was both tender and sad. At dinner I wore a white rose and you said I was very beautiful. It might not have been just an accident that he and
    his friends sat near us. He didn't look up but I actually considered getting up, walking over to him and like someone in a movie, saying, 'Here I am, my love, for whom I have waited - take me.' Well, it was about then that the waiter brought him the envelope. He read it, turned pale, said goodbye to his friends
    - and glancing at me mysteriously, he left the room. I barely slept that night and woke up the next morning very agitated. I didn't
    know whether I was afraid that he had left or that he might still be there... But by dinner I realised he was gone and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Bill : And if he hadn't left?

Alice : I don't know.

----
    the power of desire. I love it :D

24. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

you HAD to post that. Damn it.

Now I want to go do something dirty.

25. Littlest Hobo

Now, for a rather poor speech, look no further than Morpheus's address in Reloaded...