• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I gotta ask another landlord question

kuba

TRIBE Member
1. Im not in a lease, it ended May 2003. Since Ive been month-to-month. I made a verbal agreement Im moving out March one. Sicne then, I have not been home so decided to sublet from Jan 15th to March 1st. After March 1st, the new tenant I found has to negotiate a new 12-month lease.

Q: When should I tell my landlord about this new tenant? (as per my lease it says I have to tell them BEFORE they move in, but, im not in a lease, so I kind of want to wait and then tell them)

I hope they get to keep the place, they're nice people, so I'm going to say theyre good friends of mine. It saves the landlord from having to find a new tenant anyways (they said they prefer having my friend there then someone they dont know)

2. Went to see new place. New Landlord said he wants $500 deposit from us if we're serious. We give him the deposit, but today he tells us he still has to show the place on the weekend to people. He says the $500 is there so we secure it while he does credit/reference checks.

Q: This $500 is REFUNDABLE right?

Q2: what is the purpose of this $500 if he shows the place to others?

Thanks!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I have no clue, maybe he just wanted to know you're for sure?

When I rented my apartment recently.
When I put in my application I gave them a cheque for first/last..
But I knew I had the place basically, so not 100% sure.

And if they took the $500 for a "deposit" technically that should mean you have it?

KMWill?

pr0nstar

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
1. Im not in a lease, it ended May 2003. Since Ive been month-to-month. I made a verbal agreement Im moving out March one. Sicne then, I have not been home so decided to sublet from Jan 15th to March 1st. After March 1st, the new tenant I found has to negotiate a new 12-month lease.

Q: When should I tell my landlord about this new tenant? (as per my lease it says I have to tell them BEFORE they move in, but, im not in a lease, so I kind of want to wait and then tell them)

I hope they get to keep the place, they're nice people, so I'm going to say theyre good friends of mine. It saves the landlord from having to find a new tenant anyways (they said they prefer having my friend there then someone they dont know)

2. Went to see new place. New Landlord said he wants $500 deposit from us if we're serious. We give him the deposit, but today he tells us he still has to show the place on the weekend to people. He says the $500 is there so we secure it while he does credit/reference checks.

Q: This $500 is REFUNDABLE right?

Q2: what is the purpose of this $500 if he shows the place to others?

Thanks!
the $500 is refundable, no doubt - he just wants to make sure that if your refs pan out that everything is in order - its weird that he would still show the place to others though - i think he has the option of chosing the tenant that he most prefers....its not always first come first serve...i've been there before..a couple times

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
1. I'd tell your landlord involved immediately. Basically if they are subleting from you right now and anything happens in the apt it is your responsibiilty as the "tenant". IF he's a cool guy there shouldn't be any issues.

2. By law, a landlord cannot "require" you to give a deposit. However, like you've stated it's supposed to secure the apt for you, so I don't know why he is still showing it. If the landlord does NOT give you the apt for whatever reason, you BETTER get your $500 back.

Did you check out this landlord? Is he legit? There was a news clip on CityTV a while back about people falsely presenting themselves as landlords, asking for deposits then disappearing. It's a tough call when renting from home owners.

Be careful and follow up with this guy diligently

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
yes, march one not first

Receipt was not given at the time, am making follow up call now to get one. I didn't give the cheque to him so I didn't have a chance to ask for one.

When I called and asked if it's refundable, he said "it should be" WTF.

I know he is legit because he owns both houses, this one and the one next door.

Anyways, here's hoping we get the place. Either way my girlfriend is putting a hold-payment on it right now, so the funds wouldn't be released until at least Tuesday.

Thanks tribers!

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
2. By law, a landlord cannot "require" you to give a deposit. However, like you've stated it's supposed to secure the apt for you, so I don't know why he is still showing it. If the landlord does NOT give you the apt for whatever reason, you BETTER get your $500 back.

sorry had to expand on this.............

now is the time to cover all your bases.

Make sure you have his HOME #. If possible find out where he works and/or lives.

...........in the event you need to sue for your $500 back. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of landlords cashing checks (please tell me you gave him a chq and NOT cash) then leaving some innocent soul homeless.

kuba

TRIBE Member
yes it was a cheque, not cash. Thanks leo girl and sorry about your loss of the condo. :(

kuba

TRIBE Member
dear blog: so the landlord will give me a receipt today.

YAY.

As for telling my old landlord about the new tenats in their apartment, I should do it asap, but Im afraid.

Thus I will put it off like I always do.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
If you put it off.........you're nice friends may be out of a nice place ;)

what's the worst he's going to do? say no!

just tell him and stop being a pussy :p

:)

.......that said, have you given your notice? Just phrase it that you are giving your notice and you know of someone who is responsible and very interested in taking the place

kuba

TRIBE Member
*phew*

I gave my notice 1 week ago, and now told him about the new person, and he sounds ok with it, they just have to meet.

This is fucked, and im going to sound like an ass. But this new person comes in, white chick with dreads and a bull ring through her nose.

I just hope she pays her rent!!

kat

TRIBE Member
WHAT TEH FUCK?

my cousin (who has dreds and a nose ring) just moved into a place at dupont and symmington

ehhh?

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
hope you got a receipt for the 500 bucks, and got it in writing that it is refundable if he decides not to rent to you.

edit- oh i think you did, i didnt read properly,
continue ...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

noodle

TRIBE Member
I'm excited for your new place...where ever it may be!!!!!!!!

So. Very. Exciting.

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

we're going to be looking for a new place come june