• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

i got laid off today. how can i constructively spend my severance pay?

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
so after a year and a half of busting my ass more than anyone else at the company (because i actually cared about where i worked) i get laid off by the new management (who are fucking retarded and don't know what they're doing) with the fuzziest excuse ever, 'budget concerns', which is ridiculous because they just hired six new staff on at the rate of the senior staff. i trained all of them over my last few weeks there...

there was absolutely no question that i was the most valuable staff member there for reasons too numerous to get into. apparently they're getting rid of all the part-time staff now - i busted my ass for 45 hours a week for a year and a half and just went down to 20 hours a week so i could go back to school to do something i love.

i'm just pissed at the circumstances - up until the management changeover i really loved my job, and i've never been fired before, so...

the question is:
they gave me more severance than i expected, so how should i spend it constructively to zing it to my now former boss?

the best suggestion i have been given so far is to buy a nice big steak and a nice ceramic plate and write 'FUCK YOU COW' on it in gourmet steak sauce.

oh well! such is life.
jordan

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
and hey, if anyone knows of any job opportunities for a graphic design student/photo restoration artist/printer with five years of custom experience, send 'em my way....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
Lots and lots of booze.
Oh wait, you said constructive.

i've got no problem with that - i'll be the drunk chick with the gin & tonics at the living well for the next two nights, possibly giving in to the bartenders' requests for me to drop my pants so they can see my tattoo (long running joke that i have never given into)!

I GET TO SLEEP IN ALL WEEKEND!

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
i SO wanted to end the meeting with the classic stewie quote from the episode of family guy where he goes to drama school for kids:

(nonchalantly) 'Well I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch.'

but I didn't. i should have.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
no, that ended with the old manager, unfortunately.

something else to consider - she shares a name with our favourite retarded south park character!

southparktimmydvd.jpg

echootje

TRIBE Member
heh, well I left amicably because I understood from the outset that I was only 'filling in'. But yesterday was my last day. So I'm at home chillin, getting my life in order and thinking about teaching English in Japan :)

Rob

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
the only really bad thing i did at that job was date a former coworker for a year.

i KNOW there are photos of us engaged in sexual practices in the workplace somewhere at my house, but those are currently too painful to look at. fun to send to my boss though.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: i got laid off today. how can i constructively spend my severance pay?

Originally posted by Ditto Much
Congrats!!

Curently I'm hiring a dozen dancing girls and we're going to do a conga line through the office.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD.... WHAT THE HELL IS WITH CONGA LINE THOUGHTS RIGHT NOW?

ethnik

TRIBE Member
i can feel your pain, as i jsut got laid off this week as well for the very same reason, in what sounds like a carbon-copy of your siutation!

at least you got severance pay, i wasn't there long enough to even get that, and i don't have enough hours to qualify for unemployment yet....

FUCK

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Maybe all of us unemployed people should form a conga line and dance all the way down to HRDC.

i get to pick up my record of employment and final cheque on wednesday.

maybe i should start drinking right now!

Purchase an ass-load of RRSP's and when you get the money back, think of them having to continue to slave away to put the same chunk of change in the bank.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: i got laid off today. how can i constructively spend my severance pay?

Originally posted by PosTMOd
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD.... WHAT THE HELL IS WITH CONGA LINE THOUGHTS RIGHT NOW?

Its a calling...

POersonally I plan to rent a flatbed truck put 4000 watts of siound on it. Drive it into the parking lot of my former work, and sing my ding a ling with a few dozen friends.