• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I got fired today well sort of

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
the vice president called me in the office and gave me a choice

1)keep working to a program that they will constantly monitor and if i deter from it in any way I will be fired without notice

2)resign and he will provide me a reference letter

I can get a reference letter from a few other sources in the company so Im not sure about that. I work in sales for a fortune 500 company and have been there 2 years less a month. Im wondering what I should do. Should I work it out until they fire me at least that way I can get an extra paycheck or resign? This was my first job out of school so I dont know my rights. any ideas?
lemme know what you think

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

seeker

TRIBE Member
This might sound negative, but it sounds like they've already made their decision about keeping you around (ie they've already mentally fired you). It sucks, but if you have the means, I'd say take the letter and hit the road. When you get an ultimatum from a company it's best to find a new company.

<edit> and speaking as somebody who was fired from their first 'real' job out of school, I can empathize with your position. I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out. </edit>

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hipsterave

1)keep working to a program that they will constantly monitor and if i deter from it in any way I will be fired without notice

I can get a reference letter from a few other sources in the company so Im not sure about that. I work in sales for a fortune 500 company and have been there 2 years less a month. Im wondering what I should do. Should I work it out until they fire me at least that way I can get an extra paycheck or resign? This was my first job out of school so I dont know my rights. any ideas?

It all depends. Are you on contract? Read the contract. I got canned last year and I threatened to sue the place for violating it. I ended up with two weeks' pay without having to work. If I were you, agree to the program but look for something else in the meantime. Then again, you could go on EI. Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Take a big severance.

Take it and go to somewhere on the equator.

After 8 years, decide if you really want to come back and work again.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
im not sure but I thought in any job they have to give two weeks notice. Is that not right?

Im thinking of working the program but looking for something else. that way if i work past the 15th they will have to give me a cheque on the 30th.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
that was the other thing. I think I would rather get fired so I can get the ei if i have to. obviously id rather find another job fast.
Sales jobs have high turnover and I surpassed the average tenure by a year and 5 months

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
keep working until they throw you out. it will be a lot easier to get EI should you have a hard time finding a new job right away.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
im not sure but I thought in any job they have to give two weeks notice. Is that not right

They can give you two weeks notice, or two weeks pay in lieu of notice (and get rid of you right then and there).

I say stick it out, have the new "program" laid out exactly, and just play along while looking for something else.

labRat

TRIBE Member
you're basically as good as gone. once they put you on a 'monitoring program', it means they are looking for a reason to let you go.

i'd say to stick it out as long as possible and look elsewhere. but you better watch that they don't lock you in the basement and take away your red swingline stapler.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
but you better watch that they don't lock you in the basement and take away your red swingline stapler.

yyeahh .... i'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with umm ... craig on this one ....

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
It's very difficult, if not impossible, to get EI if you resign.

It would be hard to get EI if you resign.

Additionally I wouldn't count on the reference letter being worth anything either. If they don't like you likely they'll give you a nice reference letter which is going to say blah blah blah... call me, my phone number is on this letterhead, and I'll give you the real story.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'm going to be tacky and ask: WHAT DID YOU DO?
Did I miss something? Am I gonna get fired for not catching it?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
I'm going to be tacky and ask: WHAT DID YOU DO?
Did I miss something? Am I gonna get fired for not catching it?
Sales positions are unlike normal jobs in the sense that they have a quick turnover rate.. if you don't perform, you can generally expect that you'll get axe soon & without warning. In general though the concession is that sales jobs have a high starting salary or lucritive comission.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member

Hmm two things I can say about that. I faced something similar years ago when I was doing sales engineering. First of all I chose the latter of the two. It got messy in the end with lawyers and human rights as they can't really do things like that because it is a form of blackmail. Of course I won but I did not get that letter of reference and I had a bit of a hole in my resume for a few months that never helps. For me if there was not an issue of commisions to be sorted out I would have easily resigned and took the letter.

But thats just me.

keld

TRIBE Member
keep working for sure.

that letter of reference isn't worth jack. sure you're as good as gone, but you might as well get as much money from the fuckers as possible. take it up a notch and you might even last longer than you'd think since they'll be hard pressed to find reasons for canning your ass. but yeah, start looking for a new job poste haste / get ready for a summer vacation sponsored by EI.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by keld
keep working for sure.

that letter of reference isn't worth jack.

Im not really worried about the letter cause my best friend is a senior executive manager with the company and he will write me a letter and act as a reference.

keld

TRIBE Member
so i don't understand why you would even consider resigning? i guess it's just been slightly traumatic for you and you wanted to talk about it?

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by I_bRAD
It would be hard to get EI if you resign.

Additionally I wouldn't count on the reference letter being worth anything either. If they don't like you likely they'll give you a nice reference letter which is going to say blah blah blah... call me, my phone number is on this letterhead, and I'll give you the real story.

correct me if i am wrong daddyiwantchoclate, but according to my sister who works in HR, no former employer can give you a bad reference it is aginst the law

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeffsus
Take a big severance.

Take it and go to somewhere on the equator.

After 8 years, decide if you really want to come back and work again.

-jM
A&D
Whether he gets a big severance depends on whether they give him notice.

For 2 years, they only have to give 2 weeks notice, or pay 2 weeks severance.

Give a read to the Employment standards act: http://www.gov.on.ca/LAB/english/es/

See how it compares to your situation.

If they fire you they have to give you a reason.

There is a section in the Employment Insurance handbook (not sure if its available on the web):

You can voluntarily leave your job, but EI may consider it just cause (ie you would receive EI, if they agree):
if there is pressure from your employer or fellow workers to leave your job.

I would suggest consulting someone at Ministry of Labour (Dundas and University), or someone at EI (st Clair and Yonge)

It all boils down to why they are planning on firing you.

But in every situation put in writing what happens every day. Write down what happened at your meeting with the vice president. Date it and sign it. EI will want it if you need the benefits.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by gollum
Whether he gets a big severance depends on whether they give him notice.

For 2 years, they only have to give 2 weeks notice, or pay 2 weeks severance.

Give a read to the Employment standards act: http://www.gov.on.ca/LAB/english/es/

Yeah, thanks for your input. I think we covered this already.

Incidentally, you should give your link a read, and note that it is not callled severance pay, but rather "pay in lieu of notice". Companies also offer, on occasion, a gratuitous lump sum payment, but it is not called severance pay until you have worked for more than 5 years at the job.