• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I can't believe Trash won best picture...

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Stormshadow said:

I'm assuming he means "should not have won because of the gay theme, but rather, because of......"

(putting the emphasis on the word "not" makes it very different than emphasizing the words "gay theme." Try it.;) )

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
I saw this movie and i don't even really remember it.

except i was like, woah the guy who felt her up is going to save her!

it really didnt make any impression on me at all. i dont see what you people are getting all worked up about.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
lok said:
Has anyone ever considered the fact that Crash might not be an exaggeration of what the racial climate is in southern california? You're canadians living in a fairly liberal metropolitan city with one of the most subdued racial tempers possibly in the world - you really have no clue, and frankly neither did I.

I have spoken to several californians on this movie, specifically those who live in Los Angelas, and they all agree this movie hits home to them. I used the words exaggeration and they would respond with "? No man thats how some people are here". Throw in the fact that 85% of the Oscar voters live in Southern California and the whole 'mystery' as to why this was voted Best Picture becomes very clear.

As Deep said previously, this movie does not present one-sided charicatures of racism, though admittedly its not nearly as 'grey' as I wanted it to be. Say what you will about the plot, the acting was excellent given the very heavy handed theme.

I think if you people were more racist you would like this movie more :D

Oh, so in California, Latino locksmith fathers give their kids invisible capes to protect them against raging Iranians? I see.

No one said it wasn't an accurate depiction. That's not the point. The issue is that it was literal for the sake of being literal. You didn't think it was like a made for tv movie or an afterschool special? I can see them showing this in highschool social studies classes but to win an Oscar for Best Picture? Come on.

To me, praise-worthy films about controversial topics are supposed to stir up a certain kind of discomfort, ambivalence and romanticism (TRUE romanticism, not the kind of cliche bullshit that Haggis wrote). There wasn't that movie magic happening even. This film could've been made by that hack Shamalayan and we still wouldn't have known the difference.

I think the people who are hating it DO know what racial climates are like in the States. I certainly know from first-hand experience. Any visible minority who has spent longer than a week in the States can attest to that.

I wish Spike Lee, Antonia Bird, the guy who made Monster's Ball or Sam Mendes would've directed/written it. That would've been kickass.
A 15 minute cut from Monster's Ball said more about American racism than Crash did in its entirety.

I still love how people are now calling it Magnolia Lite. Haha. That's awesome.

lok

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Oh, so in California, Latino locksmith fathers give their kids invisible capes to protect them against raging Iranians? I see.

No one said it wasn't an accurate depiction. That's not the point. The issue is that it was literal for the sake of being literal. You didn't think it was like a made for tv movie or an afterschool special? I can see them showing this in highschool social studies classes but to win an Oscar for Best Picture? Come on.

So a literal, accurate depiction of life in SoCal (for the most part, greater LA) is being 'too' literal? What you consider literal may be for the most part day to day life. This is the crux of how I perceived the movie - it was so exaggerated, as if people were actually like that on such a consistent basis. Which brings us to..

To me, praise-worthy films about controversial topics are supposed to stir up a certain kind of discomfort, ambivalence and romanticism (TRUE romanticism, not the kind of cliche bullshit that Haggis wrote). There wasn't that movie magic happening even. This film could've been made by that hack Shamalayan and we still wouldn't have known the difference.

In the targetted viewers, it DOES stir up those feelings, clearly, or it wouldnt be nearly as popular with the critics as it was with the audience.

I think the people who are hating it DO know what racial climates are like in the States. I certainly know from first-hand experience. Any visible minority who has spent longer than a week in the States can attest to that.

lol sure.

I still love how people are now calling it Magnolia Lite. Haha. That's awesome.

Since we're talking about "being literal for the sake of being literal", could you ooze more art snobbery? Please?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders