• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I can't believe Trash won best picture...

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
That was honestly the most contrived, ill-concieved, inane, unoriginal, poorly acted, stereotype-laden and unintentionally (i hope) racist piece of trash film I saw all year.

That movie wasn't even mediocre, it was flat out garbage.

When the oscars were starting I joked that it would win Best Picture because it was clearly the worst film on the list, and then it WON!?!?!?!

I am shocked.

ANYTHING else would have been better...

Burn hollywood burn...

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
agreed. wholeheartedly. not like hollywood is the arbiter of good taste and high standards, but this is an all new low. you have to be some kind of stupid to swallow that simple minded slop and call it deep, or even interesting. hello hollywood, welcome to your own retardation.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Wow all I have seen on this board is a huge hate-on for this movie. Was it really that bad? I thought any movie that makes people question their own prejudice and racism in general can't be a bad thing. Can it be so bad that it got the limelight or is there a lack of cultural awareness about gay cowboys?

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
hmm...ok so im not alone on this! i watched it and then talked to others who have and they RAVED about it...i mean RAVED RAVED!!! maybe i was having an off night or something. i will give this movie a try again and see what i think after a second time

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Crash was the only movie I've seen that was nominated for an Oscar this year. Maybe thats why I'm glad it won. Or maybe because I thought the movie KICK-ASS!!! The acting was absolutely phenomenal.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
"Can it be so bad that it got the limelight or is there a lack of cultural awareness about gay cowboys?"

thats funny.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
it sucked ass, plain and simple.

all it did was present us with a bunch of two-dimensional and vaguely racist stereotypes involved in a totally inane and contrived plot.

the only thing it made me question is the film taste of the person who recommended it.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i liked crash.

not sure i think it should have won best picture, but thought it was a really good movie nonetheless.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The massive amount of people whose opinions I otherwise respect that actually thought this was a passable film amazes me. It's not a question of 'art school' or high brow cinephiles looking down there nose at a populist film, but just a question of a heavy-handed script that is about as nuanced as a Benneton ad.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Boss Hog said:
Wow all I have seen on this board is a huge hate-on for this movie. Was it really that bad? I thought any movie that makes people question their own prejudice and racism in general can't be a bad thing. Can it be so bad that it got the limelight or is there a lack of cultural awareness about gay cowboys?

i really can't believe you liked that one-note of a caricature of real racial discourse. the 'issues' raised by crash are no higher minded or deeper than the lyrics to 'everyone's a little bit racist' from Avenue Q, and that had the benefit of being funny.

the acting was terrible. those characters had the sympathetic appeal of a cardboard cut out and the empathetic appeal of ebola.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Spinsah said:
The massive amount of people whose opinions I otherwise respect that actually thought this was a passable film amazes me. It's not a question of 'art school' or high brow cinephiles looking down there nose at a populist film, but just a question of a heavy-handed script that is about as nuanced as a Benneton ad.
YES.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
ok, what i don't understand is how any can say this was a good film. everything about it was shit, maybe there were some mediocre elements like editing, or sound, but the film was such putrid garbage in every respect...

i don't get it.

why is this a 'good' film? can someone enlighten me?

it was a racist film about racism!

stereotypes include:
blacks as criminals/conspiracy theorists hatin on the white man
iranians as loose cannons who are likely to shoot your kids over a misunderstanding
asian people can't drive
white people are paranoid/racist
bad cops are actually 'just doing their job' and you'll be happy when they save your ass...
etc.

i mean, sure the film tries to make us 'move beyond the stereotypes' but it presents thw world in a blatantly racist fashion that i find absolutely distasteful.

ian

TRIBE Member
The thing that makes Crash an excellent film is that it tricks you. It beats you over the head with hyperbolic stereotypes and melodrama and then sucker punches you with the complete opposite. really enjoyed it. Best Picture? Not sure about that, but still excellent.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
ian said:
The thing that makes Crash an excellent film is that it tricks you. It beats you over the head with hyperbolic stereotypes and melodrama and then sucker punches you with the complete opposite. really enjoyed it. Best Picture? Not sure about that, but still excellent.
obviously some of us missed that 'opposite.' the thing was melodrama to the core, and not even good at that.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
even though it's 14 hours long, magnolia grips you a lot more than crash...after seeing crash in the theaters all i could think about Magnolia and it's obvious similarities

I still think crash is better than a lot of movies released this year but nowhere even close to best prize material...haven't seen such a contentious film like this in a long time