• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I can see why everyone hates Windows 8

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So here I am with my new Ultrabook with Windows 8 all over it.

Trying to figure out how to do the most basic things is a nightmare, doing web searches and googling for info on how to do every single thing as I go (google searching with another machine). What a total loss of productivity so far. I am sure some day I'll figure out how to use it, but now I understand what people's frustration was all about with this boat anchor of an operating system.

They would have really made transition easier to this operating system by changing Windows subtly and incrementally over time with free updates. This is like they have decided what your user experience will be and then rolled it out in new PCs so people would have to use it, no matter how bad it was.

I am also thinking with all this live update stuff going on in the tiles or whatever those square things are called, I will be forking out thousands of Rands in fees for extra bandwidth when I hit South Africa. Hopefully there is some way to turn all that crap off so it doesn't bankrupt me via the South African cellphone/internet providers.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Got my mom (a complete luddite who still thinks touchtone phones are some newfangled technosorcery) a Windows 8 laptop for xmas last year since she was used to Windows already. After much frustration, it got returned...ended up getting her an MBA and all is well. Hell I haven't had to do a tech support call with my folks at all since I switched them to the Apple ecosystem.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Vise

TRIBE Member
Just go to desktop mode, I have Windows 8 on my main PC and it stays in desktop mode (aka old school Windows) 24/7.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I just installed 8.1 on a HTPC that I built and I don't mind it. I find everything just looks different than Win 7 but it's got all the same functionalities.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
took me less than a day to become comfortable in it, so much so that i want my work to transition to Win8, i love the touch screen interface, the easy access to find so many things, if im searching for a specific app or setting, i just go the top right corner, get my sidebar to pop up, hit the magnifying glass and start typing.

instantly what im looking for is pretty much there.

and its really not that different, maybe some of the UI paths you are used to following are different but man, its so smooth, snappy, i have had almost zero issues with it on my machine.

As Vise said, you can easily go back to Desktop Mode, and i do believe you can choose what tiles you want to use and display and that get updated.

hope your user experience improves !

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am just being bitchy an whiny! :D

The Yoga 2 is awesome though. What a killer display and man is it ever fast.

deep

TRIBE Member
It'll grow...there's a way to have it boot straight into desktop mode instead of the start screen, you'll like your touchpad more once gestures become second nature (I switched from a mouse to a touchpad on my desktop and work setup a while back and would never go back), hitting the windows and then typing what you're looking for becomes pretty intuitive, and performance wise part of that boot up time being quick is from windows

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya and then only be able to play the limited selection of Mac games

Getting better but Mac still blows for games

alison87

TRIBE Member
Glych, you can get to search without using the mouse in Windows 8.1 with the win-q shortcut. Also win-s and a bunch others in Windows 8. Or just by pressing the windows key or ctrl-esc since Vista onwards.

I hate gestures on my touchpad, but now i have a Windows 8 tablet (temporary laptop replacement) i'm finding swipe-from-left multitasking pretty much shits on any other app switching method i've ever used. Still think swipe-from-bottom is stupid, but maybe it makes more sense on a phone. I just wish more websites used touch-aware interfaces. I've grown to hate :hover with a passion.

And you all already know i think Windows 8 is the best desktop OS i've used bar none. There are so many great UI tweaks in there once you get used to it - it's all there for a reason. Windows 7 is pretty rough in comparison, and Mac OS's pointless shadows and gradients and animations can bite my ass.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
You guys could have been having these revelations half a decade ago with OSX.
The siren song of Microsoft Bob was too strong

I run OSX on my Macbook Air...I would however like better driver level control of gestures on either Mac or Windows. Like imprinting my middle finger on my touchpad should map to your mother

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have just discovered the magic of reading comics on this Yoga 2 Pro in tablet mode and just swiping my finger to advance through pages. The graphics are so intense on this display! The quality just blows away anything I have ever seen and is far better than the 85LPI of the comic books of olde....

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
The siren song of Microsoft Bob was too strong

I run OSX on my Macbook Air...I would however like better driver level control of gestures on either Mac or Windows. Like imprinting my middle finger on my touchpad should map to your mother
Not quite the extent that you're asking for, but this will help fulfill most wishes: BetterTouchTool BetterTouchTool

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Glych, you can get to search without using the mouse in Windows 8.1 with the win-q shortcut. Also win-s and a bunch others in Windows 8. Or just by pressing the windows key or ctrl-esc since Vista onwards.

I hate gestures on my touchpad, but now i have a Windows 8 tablet (temporary laptop replacement) i'm finding swipe-from-left multitasking pretty much shits on any other app switching method i've ever used. Still think swipe-from-bottom is stupid, but maybe it makes more sense on a phone. I just wish more websites used touch-aware interfaces. I've grown to hate :hover with a passion.

And you all already know i think Windows 8 is the best desktop OS i've used bar none. There are so many great UI tweaks in there once you get used to it - it's all there for a reason. Windows 7 is pretty rough in comparison, and Mac OS's pointless shadows and gradients and animations can bite my ass.
noyce !

i have been to busy to find all the new short cuts to things, thanks for reminding me to do this :D

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
You guys could have been having these revelations half a decade ago with OSX.
for well over 2 years and going forward i pretty much refuse to give Apple money, i have sold all my apple products, including the 32gb Ipod touch i got from work this year -_-

i cant stand pretty much their entire product offering, and their business model, patent war bullshit, and itunes can go fuck itself.

5 years ago OSX is shit compared to Win 7 , let alone Win 8.

Ya and then only be able to play the limited selection of Mac games

Getting better but Mac still blows for games
lulz.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Pretty funny to read that assertion; I was talking to a friend who needs to wipe his Win 7 lappy as it "has become slow and gunked up again". I said I thought that had been all fixed and 7 was rock solid. "Hell no."

*pause*

"How's your iMac doing?"

"Oh fine. I run Disk Utility for kicks."

lobo

TRIBE Member
for well over 2 years and going forward i pretty much refuse to give Apple money, i have sold all my apple products, including the 32gb Ipod touch i got from work this year -_-

i cant stand pretty much their entire product offering, and their business model, patent war bullshit, and itunes can go fuck itself.

lulz.
I can sorta relate. Bought the wife an iPhone 5S for xmas and then while restoring her stuff I can to the horrifying realization that there's no way for me to transfer all of the books that she downloaded outside of iTunes. Like literally I can't find anything on Google other than to confirm that it's next to impossible to export those books if you've never used iTunes to manage them. :( I just told the wife, "See, this is why you should move over to an Android device."

Lobo