• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I booked my Ontario G2 road test! What do I have to know?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was driving slowly down a street next to Danforth Collegiate, 5 minutes after I got into the car with my instructor yesterday, travelling extra slow to go over a speed bump. A group of kids were walking by and one threw himself onto the roof off the car, trying to rip off the Diving School sign on top. I was completely unfazed, but it freaked out the instructor.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Operating your gas and brake with your heel and toe so you can go until you see God, and then brake and downshift at the same time.

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
Yep, brad has it right. :D

In more detail, while braking, when you downshift, you blip the throttle when in neutral to allow a much smoother downshift. This way you don't need to slip the clutch at all, so it's far more precise. It's mostly a racing technique, but I do it all the time.

Also, the name comes from the old days when pedals were really far apart. Today, you really just use the left side of your foot on the brake and the right side on the throttle. Easier that way.

Good luck Alex!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Congrats

Now for 2012 I'm going to try to motivate myself to start with the G1, now that you've inspired me and passed with flying unicorns! :cool:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What do they make you do these days?

And congrats! Now you have some time to practice for your full G!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I've always wondered about people who prefer stick. Why would you want to do more work?
For me.

* power band: you can control the RPMs you sit in so that you have power when you need it unless you're driving an expensive piece of machinery, most autos have a lag when you step on the gas so it takes a bit to get going. This might mean the difference between avoiding an accident and not avoiding an accident. You want to get rocking? Shift down. You want to cruise and safe gas? Shift up.

* Control - I can control which gear I'm which relates to all sorts of things including being in the power band.

* Winter driving - Every try rocking yourself out of a snow ditch in the winter in an auto? You'll do a bit of harm to your transmission if you have to negotiate the gas, reverse and neutral positions. Hard on the transmission and engine mounts if you're going back, toss it in drive and hit the gas. This also relates to lag (lag changing gears and the response of the throttle to the wheels).

* It's just waaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What do they make you do these days?

And congrats! Now you have some time to practice for your full G!

You were right about the car inspection, sort of.. The examiner walked around the vehicle and asked me to switch on indicators, brake lights, headlights, and sound the horn. Then it was intersections, left turn lanes, lane changes, roadside stop, 3 point turn, parallel parking, backing in parking, forward parking.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah! I forgot about that part. Nice with the backing in. I cannot believe I didn't mess that up. I can't back in a car to save my life these days. Learned it, forgot it.

How was your examiner?

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
* It's just waaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.
For me :p

I went back to automatic and miss my stick soo much. If someone else wants to drive my car/share in the driving, they can which is easier. Drving a stick downtown is annoying, to be sure. You can't beat a stick for control though. I do miss it.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is where you pass or fail.
I dunno, I looked at my sheet after and there were a lot of x's on it. I think I just may have had a great examiner and he gave me a break. I am glad I took a few hours of instruction before doing the test though, seeing as I drive on the other side of the road in South Africa and everything...