• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I booked my Ontario G2 road test! What do I have to know?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
when you're doing the test, just remember to check your mirrors often, and use exaggerated head movements when doing so. Oh, and full stop at stop signs! no rolling stops as people often tend to do in the real world.
My instructor got on my case about a couple of rolling stops yesterday.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
The first time i did my G2 test, I failed because I did a rolling stop. The testing guy also claimed i wasn't checking my mirrors even though i was. So i did the exaggerated movements the next time and for my G test, and stopped for a 2 second count at all stop signs, and passed no problem

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What's fucked is that you spend so much time moving your head around, it's just so unnatural and frankly, unsafe. My eyes move way faster than my head and to have to move your head physically is sometimes ridiculously unsafe.

For my highway test, I did it during rush hour so it was tense. I REALLY didn't want to get cut off or have to deal with speeders honking at me so I was really mirror conscious which means I wasn't moving my head around like a maniac.

After, he told me that I got points off for not looking at my mirrors enough and I thought "Jesus, I was but I was too concentrated on driving and not on trying to fake safety." It's so ass backwards.

I was told by my instructor to really turn my head to check the blindspot. Which is fine except you don't have to turn THAT MUCH to check it. In fact, that split second of acting could mean a shithead hitting you.

And going the speed limit on your test sucks because you have to pray no one honks at you. On my highway test, I had a guy in a blue ginomobile throw a cigarette at my car because he could not get around me. Sorry, man. it's 100 and I can't go over. After he threw a butt at my car, he cut me off, weaved in and out to the exit where he literally went AROUND a lineup of other people doing their tests to go to the front. I was the 6th person in line on the ramp exit so I could see him very clearly. I felt so bad for the poor girl who was first in line to exit the ramp. He went right around her to be first in line, then cut someone off and almost caused an accident.

When we got back to the testing center, I got points off for that maniac throwing a cigarette at me. He was going at least 120! What was I supposed to do? Go 120? Come on.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It's way more fun.

Also, in practical terms, its better on gas.
It seems to me it offers you more control over your vehicle and a richer driving experience. That being said, I would hate to be shifting and wagging my head from side to side in an exaggerated way just to impress the examiner - too much going on.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It seems to me it offers you more control over your vehicle and a richer driving experience. That being said, I would hate to be shifting and wagging my head from side to side in an exaggerated way just to impress the examiner - too much going on.
Well, you're older so he might not expect you to do that. But they really do look at you to do that over and over and over. I think it's very 5 seconds that you do a full cycle of head moves. Sometimes they'll turn and just stare at you. It's totally off putting.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
If you do one rolling stop, you're a gonner. Just stop stop stop!
Yeah. Make sure your car goes back and plants itself.
And never EVER pass that big white line. Not even an inch.

Alex, did your instructor tell you how to inspect your car before getting in for your test?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. Make sure your car goes back and plants itself.
And never EVER pass that big white line. Not even an inch.

Alex, did your instructor tell you how to inspect your car before getting in for your test?
Nope... I have to inspect my car? *looks around nervously*

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I did my G2 at the Metro East location a couple of weeks back. The hardest part was actually leaving and re-entering the test facility parking lot. The lanes are so narrow and there's tons of traffic. If you hit the curb you're done....

That said, the test was pretty easy. I was actively scanning the whole time and made a conscious effort to exagerate it. Oh and I saved some time w/ my drive instructor so I had a 45min session right before the test!
Backed out, turned right, turned right, turned left, parked "on a hill", did a parallel park, went back to the facility and "front parked."

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Downshift to control acceleration, like on a steep grade: yes
Downshift to slow down: no. That's what brakes are for.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Nope... I have to inspect my car? *looks around nervously*
Yeah, I mentioned it a few pages back probably. I was told that they mark the safety of the car. I had to walk around the passenger side and around the front, kick a few tires and then invite him to get in. Both G2 and highway.

I have a copy of my scores somewhere. I should did that out.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
You're not going to accomplish anything by kicking the tires except scuffing your shoes. You need a pressure gauge.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Downshift to control acceleration, like on a steep grade: yes
Downshift to slow down: no. That's what brakes are for.
I downshift to slow down - like coming up to lights and stuff... well, I suppose I'm downshifting as I slow down, but it certainly makes you use your brakes less. I'm not talking rapid decelleration or anything.

you can do that with an automatic transmission as well.
how?

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
I_Brad: I don't think he actually meant kick the tires. He was just saying you need to look at them to make sure they're not obviously flat or low.

I agree with ev; exaggerated stops and head movements, all the way. I failed my first G test because I apparently didn't check blind-spots or mirrors enough. Did what ev suggested, and had no problems the next time through.

Finally, manual transmissions are more fun (I enjoy heel-and-toe downshifting, and shifting in general), automatics tend to shift when I don't want them to (I just wanted to go a little faster - I don't need you downshifting and revving to 5000 rpm to go 2 km/h faster), manual transmissions are more durable (my current automatic likes to do a really hard shift every now and then for no good reason).

JamesM

TRIBE Member
you're supposed to kick them, look at your instructor, and say "well, no one's slashed my tires, lets go!"

alison87

TRIBE Member
It's way more fun.

Also, in practical terms, its better on gas.
I very much doubt this is true with modern ECUs unless you are coasting to every single stop in neutral. I've only owned one car in my life, and it was stick, and i loved it, but when it comes to fuel economy i'd trust a bunch of conservative engineering nerds over my own decisions any day of the week. Ditto for driving on snow. The only reason people with stick may do better in weird conditions is because they're probably more serious drivers in the first place, not because 50+ years of developments in automotive technology are worthless.

As far as driving goes, i find that most autos rev way lower than i enjoy. They tend to keep the car out of what i'd consider the optimum torque range, which is fine on the highway, but sucks ass for inner-city driving. Of course if you put me in a stick shift now i'd probably stall out first try because it's been so long. Still, i do tend to press the imaginary clutch whenever i need to do a sudden brake - it's muscle memory. I kinda like renting cars with sequential shifts - they don't really have neutral and you can't balance on the clutch for parking, but they're fun enough.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
In the words of me: Why don't you price out a brake job vs a clutch job.

There is no benefit to slowing down with the engine, aside from controlling acceleration as I mentioned above

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
I very much doubt this is true with modern ECUs unless you are coasting to every single stop in neutral.
Off-throttle is off-throttle. It doesn't matter if the throttle is closed and your engine is revving at 7000 rpm, or if the torque converter in between your automatic transmission and the engine has let the engine fall to idle. If your car is one that cuts fuel completely when you are off-throttle, you would save fuel with a manual, as it wouldn't need to keep the engine idling like an automatic.

I've only owned one car in my life, and it was stick, and i loved it, but when it comes to fuel economy i'd trust a bunch of conservative engineering nerds over my own decisions any day of the week.
It's not to do with your decisions or engineering nerds (I'm an engineering nerd, by the way). It's basic physics. A typical automatic has a torque converter. It works by a wheel spinning fluid around, which spins another wheel. As you can guess, it's not as efficient as just having a clutch transmit 100% of the drive with no losses.

Transmissions like the Audi S4 are manuals that are computer controlled; in that case, they'd be just as fuel efficient as a manual, as there is no torque converter.

Ditto for driving on snow. The only reason people with stick may do better in weird conditions is because they're probably more serious drivers in the first place, not because 50+ years of developments in automotive technology are worthless.
If you just compare auto to manual (all other options the same), then there isn't much of a difference. This old myth comes from carburetted cars that would have a choke and a very high idle in cold conditions. It was possible for those cars to have the rear wheels driving fairly hard, and the front wheels locked. Of course, a simple shift to neutral would solve that...

As far as driving goes, i find that most autos rev way lower than i enjoy. They tend to keep the car out of what i'd consider the optimum torque range, which is fine on the highway, but sucks ass for inner-city driving.
Another reason why autos use more fuel. They are geared lower (usually), so you end up with people gunning it to achieve the acceleration they want. With a manual, you can accelerate just as quickly with less throttle input.

As for using the engine to brake with... it depends on how you do it. Slipping the clutch as you downshift? Like Brad said, it'll just wear out your clutch. If you heel-and-toe, it won't wear your clutch and you will get that engine-braking effect.

Also, disc brakes have far more torque than your engine, so unless you are braking at the absolute limit on a racing circuit (or in an emergency), the difference between braking in neutral or downshifting will be totally negligible.

Back in the days of drum brakes, it was a good idea to downshift because those things would go to mush with the tiniest amount of heat (the pads press outward on the drum... the drum gets hot and expands... then the pads can't press as hard on the drums... voila! your brakes don't work).