• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I booked my Ontario G2 road test! What do I have to know?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It is in a month's time at the Vic Park & Lawrence Test Centre and I am starting to get nervous already! What should I expect during this test? What happens?

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
lol.

dont' forget to check (look) before changing lanes. Using your mirror isn't sufficient.
adjust the mirrors, just to show off.
practice your 3 point turn and parallel parking.

always be checking rear view, speed & the road ahead.

good luck

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
if I recall the correct test, my G2 consisted of just driving around a neighborhood, through a few major intersections, Parallel parking, back up parking, emergency stop and uphill and downhill parking (which ways to turn your wheels based on up or down hill).

Keep in mind I did my road test in Kingston ON. Really easy and lasted about 30 minutes.

Make sure to keep your hands close to 10 and 2, check your blinds spots and keep an active look on all your mirrors.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
lol.

dont' forget to check (look) before changing lanes. Using your mirror isn't sufficient.
adjust the mirrors, just to show off.
practice your 3 point turn and parallel parking.

always be checking rear view, speed & the road ahead.

good luck

Parallel parking??? OMG!!! *looks around nervously*

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I also booked a couple of lessons from a telephone pole poster driving school so maybe I will use them for parallel parking... I hope the Jing Chen UFO guy isn't going to be the instructor...

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
meh I bombed my parallel parking and still passed.
the biggest things are looking in the right places, blind spots, all that shit.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
meh I bombed my parallel parking and still passed.
the biggest things are looking in the right places, blind spots, all that shit.
Yes, but you probably charmed the instructor with your waskally ways. Didn't you?

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Let me know when you are in the area, I am usually there every Tue and Thu in the evening, we can hook up!

You'll do fine... just check your mirrors and blind spots at all times, emergency parking, 3-point parking, parallel, those are the most important... oh yeah, keep your hands on the wheel at all times, my instructor was anal about that :)

Good luck!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Good luck Alex, as you are inspiration to people like me who also don't have a driver's license. I keep procrastinating, but next year I may have an attempt at it myself.

BTW, what is the first car you plan on buying?

djfear

TRIBE Member
Some advice on your test...

I know this sounds stupid, but don't do anything illegal. :) I failed my g2 test when I made a right turn on a red light when there was a "no right turn on red light" sign up top. I just didn't see it and I was nervous.

Watch your speed, always look at your mirrors, and most importantly - relax! If you fail you can just re-book it. No big deal.

While we are here... things that bother me:

- people who don't signal
- people who do not turn into their lane
- people who drive with their daylights on at night
- slow pokes in the left lane (always keep right except to pass)
- etc etc etc

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Back your car into the parking lot before you take the test, they will usually skip that part come test time.

Jay

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I did the drivers ed thing, and at the time had an instructor that was helpful in giving tips of what is considered an automatic fail. Some stuff is obvious, but in some cases you would presume it could be considered an infraction/points off on your exam. If you can, ask the instructor if they can give you any insights.

From what I recall as an automatic fail (some are clearly obv):
-Removing your hands from the wheel at any time. Any time.
-If the vehicle you are doing your exam on is in violation of any of the 'safe vehicle' for the road laws (that is my gr. 2 description of it, but you get what I mean). ex. can't have a burnt headlight
-Going over the speed limit by 10km or more
-Failure to come to a complete stop at a red/stop sign
-Driving more than (200 meters?) in the middle or left lane
-Seatbelt
-If at any time you cause another driver or pedestrian to essentially have to abruptly react to your driving (jump out of the way, abruptly slam the brakes)

And the one that wasn't an automatic fail, but an infraction; if you get to a four way stop and look down the street at both ends. You're meant to only glance at the four corners. The explanation was that if a car was coming, and you're just sitting there....your shit knowledge of the rules of the road may cause confusion.

Good Luck

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
oh ya and don't forget...even on what are what we consider residential streets without lines, you need to recognize that there are 3 lanes and signal accordingly. There is a parking lane (duh, where you know cars park...closest to the curb on the right for a 2 way), the middle/driving lane, and then the lane closest to the curb on your left hand side - oncoming traffic/passing lane. So you have to signal like a retard even though you may be in a position where there are literally no fucking cars anywhere and the street is 15 feet wide dependent on what the instructor asks you to do.

And my final one that rookies forget; you can turn left on a red from a one way street onto a one way street. Rarely does this one come up from what I've heard (at least the city I did my exam in)

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
if I recall the correct test, my G2 consisted of just driving around a neighborhood, through a few major intersections, Parallel parking, back up parking, emergency stop and uphill and downhill parking (which ways to turn your wheels based on up or down hill).

Keep in mind I did my road test in Kingston ON. Really easy and lasted about 30 minutes.

Make sure to keep your hands close to 10 and 2, check your blinds spots and keep an active look on all your mirrors.
I did my g2 at vic park and lawrence and this is exactly what i had to do, minus the parallel and emergency parking.

Back your car into the parking lot before you take the test, they will usually skip that part come test time.

Jay
I backed into the space when I arrived and the instructor made me do it again.

I just booked my G test for Dec 5th and I'm kinda nervous. What is on the G test other than highway driving?

djfear

TRIBE Member
What the hell is an emergency stop? Aside from stopping.
When driving on a road and the examiner asks you to do an emergency stop, do the following:

1) from right lane, turn on indicator to indicate you're going to pull over on the shoulder.
2) Pull over on the shoulder completely and turn on your hazard lights (4 way flashers).
3) Stop the car. Pull in the hand brake, put in park. The end.

The examiner will ask you if you're finished, so say yes. Just remember the parking brake!

When you are leaving, turn off 4 ways, put indicator to left, take off parking brake, put in drive, and proceed when it's safe to do so, of course checking your shoulder and using the mirror.

OR

rally car in and out of traffic, hand brake turn wheel and park it sideways, put on sunglasses and say "like a boss".

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The instructor probably won't ask you to parallel park in between cars.

And the VP area is super busy. What time did you book? Get your instructor to take you to that parking lot to do the practice test a few times. They know it. They're not allowed to tell you but who cares. Also, the parking lot is used for parking and stop signs. So make sure to ask your instructor about stopping and stuff IN THE LOT. That's sometimes where they get you as there really aren't obvious rules in a parking lot.

NEVER go over your speed limit even to go with traffic. Doesn't work on a test. Always stay 2 km below or exactly. DON'T go over. So many automatic fails at the Downsview one because of that.

You'll also probably do a 3-point turn and that's REALLY specific as well. The signaling and the looking is what they'll look for, not just execution. You can take your time though with that one and they will give you a second chance.

When making a left, try not to turn your car towards the left when you're waiting for clearance. The car should be straight even though most people start turning their wheel to the left to make the turn while they're stopped. Don't do that.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What's also irritating is having to exaggerate the mirror checking. I always check that anyway but to have to act it out makes me really irritable. Also, they check to see if you do that safety check before you get in the car. They might test you if they're an asshole or they'll ask you to do it. So check all corners of your car, kick the tires and let them know the car is safe to drive.