• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I am raising awareness for weekly charity runs that paralyze downtown Toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Every weekend the charity runs shut down the core and millions of plastic water bottles are added to landfills to raise corporate profiles and promote corporations under the guise of some kind of altruistic endeavor where diseases are cured.

The events do more for raising awareness of the corporations branding them than anything else IMO, and perpetuate 'rasing awareness' and fundraising rather than actually finding solutions.

Why cure the cow, when you can paint your logo on the site of it and get your milk for free, and when it dies, just get another cow.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I have no problem with these events. We should be encouraging people to come to our downtown core for these kinds of activities.

What I do have a problem is the shitty organization when it comes to transportation. Driving should be difficult. That can't be avoided. And frankly shouldn't be avoided. It's lke a holiday from traffic in the core.

But because of that the TTC should be a breeze to use during these things to comensate and it is just not. It took us 40 minutes to get from Bathurst and Lakeshore to Wellington and John. Would have walked but had the kids. And there was no reason for this as the extra buses they had for the event were going back and forth along Lakeshore with no problems but they were not in service so not picking anyone up.

Shake your fist at the organization of the event, not the existence of it.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
^ agreed 100%. Bringing these people downtown is a great thing, but more consideration should be given to allowing others to still be fairly mobile through the downtown and not so inconvenienced. 40 minutes to get from Bathurst and Lakeshore to Wellington and John on a weekend is unacceptable.

*edit* P.S. Google could sponsor organizing downtown mobility during these events?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
The inconvenience is temporary, and it's just one of many events that make the downtown more interesting and lively. If you want tranquility and low traffic, move to a cul de sac in Markham.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
The inconvenience is temporary, and it's just one of many events that make the downtown more interesting and lively. If you want tranquility and low traffic, move to a cul de sac in Markham.
that made me vomit in my mouth just a bit

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
No. This is not so temporary when, increasingly, these events are eating up weekends. Monday to Friday is already a write-off. And the point to be made here is not that the events themselves are bad, but rather they need to better plan for mobility of non-participants/spectators.

erika

TRIBE Member
So, for example, the ttc shouldn't plan to shut down the subway and run shuttles on this specific weekend. Ttc: slowing you down all the time, everywhere!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
A subway shutdown is going to be inconvenient no matter what. Yes, it kinda sucked that I had to walk from Queen to College the other day, but it was not that big of a deal. And too be honest, I'd be happier with more planned shutdowns if it meant that the system would have fewer unplanned shutdowns.

And yes, during the summer, there does seem to be an event like this every weekend that causes traffic chaos - But I like it! One of my favourite things about this city is walking into a street event by surprise.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
the sooner we start killing people off or letting them die from natural causes, the better. we need less people on this planet so I will get a higher standard of living. enough with this shit.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
the 10k on sunday raised $2million for a camp for children with cancer...the money goes directly to iv chemo blood tranfusions and other equipment and counsellor salaries that allow these children to attend this sleepover camp for free, give their familiies a break and have great programming notwithstanding their condition.

yonge street was shut down from about 5am-11am on a sunday morning, not exactly a peak time for people who need to get around. the event was posted months in advance and shutdowns were mentioned in media so unless you were living under a rock AND you couldn't find an alternative route to get to your 9am breakfast resevation on the other side of town, then maybe you were slightly inconvenienced.

there were no plastic bottles handed out either at the water stations on the way or at the finish line party.

i barely saw any traffic waiting to get across yonge.

i think there are four or five races that shut down the core per year and they all happen early on sunday mornings.

oh and the eyecandy was :O so maybe you should consider running next year

erika

TRIBE Member
My daughter ran this on Sunday for the first time. She said that as she was getting close to the end, a woman was cheering them on, pointing at her son, saying "you're helping send him to camp", which brought everyone around to tears.

I agree 100% with Big Harv. So you can't get around in your AUTO, downtown, on a Sunday morning. Big deal.

You should also complain about the Christmas parade, St Patrick's day parade, and so on.

Such sour dour grapes!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
No. This is not so temporary when, increasingly, these events are eating up weekends. Monday to Friday is already a write-off. And the point to be made here is not that the events themselves are bad, but rather they need to better plan for mobility of non-participants/spectators.
Go do it in Downsview or something. Or have it in a parking lot where people can run in circles. Or how about running on the spot? Run up to North York to do it. There's 2/3 of your marathon.

Haha, it's fun to shit on things.

For those who were complaining about the subway shutdown, there were like about 1000000000000 shuttle buses. I think everyone should just go home on the weekend leave the downtown for us smokers, drinkers and vagrants. Take your Under Armor and nice calves to the suburbs where YOU BELONG.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The only reason they are held downtown is that the coporations benefiting most from them would rather have their logos spooged all over the downtown core as a backdrop for photography as opposed to, say, Orillia.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Also, Montreal has giant downtown inclusive festivals every weekend that actually attract tourists and suburbans alike - Toronto gets walks, runs, bikes, and climbs that chase tourists away.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Also, Montreal has giant inclusive festivals every weekend that actually attract tourists and suburbans alike - Toronto gets walks, runs, bikes, and climbs that chase tourists away.
So Luminato, Nuit Blanche, TIFF, Gay Pride weekend, Winter/Summerlicious taste of the danforth, caribana, toronto jazzfest, beaches jazzfest etc etc etc don't count as big festivals? I beg to differ.

The Sporting Life 10K is held at Yonge and Lawrence because that's where its headquarters is located and also a convenient central location for people across the GTA and elsewhere to converge. There was hardly any advertising at the event; a Nike wall where you can put your stickers about your motivations for running in coronation park (where the racers were filtered post-race), free coconut waters and mcdonalds coffee at the finish lines....during the race, there were a variety of bands and djs but no evident logos, other than the billboards that are there 24/7 (e.g. at yonge and dundas square).

Maybe instead of criticizing as cynical corporate sponsorship, you can actually come out, donate to a good cause and see it for yourself.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So Luminato, Nuit Blanche, TIFF, Gay Pride weekend, Winter/Summerlicious taste of the danforth, caribana, toronto jazzfest, beaches jazzfest etc etc etc don't count as big festivals? I beg to differ.
All of those can suck it.

Okay, now I'm just obviously bored and trolling.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
my acquintance owns a flower shop, the road was shut down for a run.....on mothers day. he was not impressed.
why cant they just have runs along the lakeshore or the don river or somewhere that it is not gonna interfere with everyones lives.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
my acquintance owns a flower shop, the road was shut down for a run.....on mothers day. he was not impressed.
why cant they just have runs along the lakeshore or the don river or somewhere that it is not gonna interfere with everyones lives.

Ya, they moved Caribana all the way to a remote area on the lakeshore, they could do the same with these charity races and bring more festivals into the city.

Also, I guess now, after Boston, the cost of policing these charity races has gone up x100 too, with swat teams, tanks, and sound cannon on high alert an being paid time and a half.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
You want no charity runs but more festivals? That makes no sense. Stop being such an old-man NIMBY complainer and enjoy the chaos!

Runs!
Festivals!
Parades!
Protests!
Soccer car processions!

Bring' em all on!!!!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
You want no charity runs but more festivals? That makes no sense. Stop being such an old-man NIMBY complainer and enjoy the chaos!

Runs!
Festivals!
Parades!
Protests!
Soccer car processions!

Bring' em all on!!!!
Alright then, I give up. Lets have more curelessness in the spirit of marketing.