• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I am going to relocate home and office outside of Toronto. Where should I go in Ontario?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A close friend sold her house and will probably move to the states. It got me thinking deeply about why I even live in Toronto.

Most of my favorite restaurants are gone now. I rarely see the old friend group anymore because most have moved out of Toronto. I don't go clubbing, movies, etc.. anymore. I don't make annual trips to South Africa any more so I don't need proximity to Pearson. My needs have changed.

I don't even run the big iron anymore, the tribe servers that sometimes had to be manually re-booted in a server rack downtown. Now we are on cloud servers.

I need to get the precious metal products for the new TRIBE direction cast in the jewelry district downtown and my gemstone and tool suppliers are there too. But I can courier stuff in to my precious metal casting guy. I reckon if I am near to the via rail corridor I could come in every couple of weeks to buy supplies. Or drive in. I would have to buy a car.

So I decided that is what I will do. I am going to sell my place in Leslieville, buy a new place in the spring, and be moved into a new base of operation by next summer. That's the plan.

I do mostly photography and design at home now. It's a content production studio and a jewelry design workshop where I build models in wax and plastics. I have stuff scattered all over my house now, so I am going to look for a small house (for me) with a large heated garage that I can turn into a design workshop and content production studio.

So now where to go...

I am initially thinking Niagara Peninsula, Norfolk county (a lot of those racecar people probably had heated garages on their properties.). I love the Lake Huron area out Kincardine way and also Bancroft, but both might have too short a growing season for me. I like Bancroft area a lot, but those winters are too long.

I am not interested in places like Hamilton, London, etc, as this would be like swapping one city for another.

Near but not on water. Maybe a few other artists nearby (or if not, I'll build an artist community).

Any ideas for a new areas for me to look? Suggestions welcome!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

praktik

TRIBE Member
You know Alex - we'll always have Paris.

...Ontario!

It's got it's charms and you can head into KW for fun events easily enough in not so much time!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
OIP.HBRycb1zcAgi1NXE3jW0ZgHaKP

Seems to be lots of old building in Kingston from my quick net search . I like that. What's it like to live in Kingston?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is kind of a scary thing to be doing, but also exciting. I guess scary things are often exciting. Anyway, even though I still see myself as 19, the old body is failing bit by bit and I have to make preparations for that. I hope to find a home that is old dude ready, perhaps the previous inhabitant modified the place a bit with grab bars, for example. Maybe a small 1 story bungalow to minimize the stair climbing. I am up and down the stairs in my current 3 floor place all day long, and while I can do it now, in 10 years, maybe not.