1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

I am going to FANEXPO! Anybody been?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Aug 18, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

What should I expect? Are there lots of cosplay people there, costumes? I am bringing the cameras in search of the hawt and unusual....

2. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

OK I'll step up.

I've been for the last few years. It's fun!

Yes, there are people who dress up. Expect to see cosplay from star wars to video game characters. There are some pretty creative costumes out there. Since I've gone it's always been in the south building, but the website says it's in the north this year.

Lineups to get in, and for popular guest signings will be long. But once you're in it's wall-to-wall uber-geekness: comics, games, artists, and more product than you can shake a bat'leth at. Interactive sessions are fun as well, to hear the SF stars talk about their experiences shooting movies and TV series.

If you free your inner geek as well as your lens cap, you'll be sure to have a good time.

3. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I'm going too. Can't wait. Probably going to dress up as Carmen Sandiego or Wenda from Where's Waldo. Or both. ;)

I'll keep my eye out for you Alex!

4. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

For those that don't know what a bat'leth is, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Michael Dorn a.k.a. Worf will be there. Aces!

5. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i've been only once (last year). i'd go every year but it's at the start of burning man week.

there are usually plenty of costumes and some cute chicks.

the line-up this year is a bit weaker than in past years, but it would be a kick to see bill shatner and joan collins presenting "city on the edge of tomorrow", touch fists with stan lee and j. michael straczynski and tell summer glau that i love her.

last year, i dressed up as clark kent. coincidentally, i will be donning the same outfit this year at the burning man festival to be part of a guinness book of world records attempt at the most ever supermans in one picture. (the theme of this year's burning man is 'metropolis'. get it? get it?)

6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

if there theme is metropolis, i see a lot of man-machine costumes too (fritz lang's metropolis)

i might hit up fanexpo for the first time. i'd like to go as dream of the endless (the sandman).

7. alexd

I will get Worf to sign my batleth!

8. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

i went to a few of them, but the last one i attended was about 5 or 6 years ago.

If you expect to meet a "star" be prepared to wait several hours in a line. It's still a fun time just to walk around and geek out.

Looks like I've scored a guest pass this year so I'll probably attend.

9. Imma gonna be there, with two peeps dressed in star fleet regalia.

And one of them is a girl!

10. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

hawt. better be tos with miniskirts.

11. alexd

I will be the one with the huge digital camera and lenses and the batleth

12. I think it's TNG, so the miniskirts are on the dudes on formal occasions I think.

13. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

hahaa

14. alexd

Picard could really rock the long red formal skirt thingy

15. He could give Persilla Queen of the Desert a run for the money. Very impressive considering he'd be forgoing eye shadow and other makeup.

16. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

Spike is going to be there, so I may go and try to get him to sign my Once More With Feeling soundtrack

17. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

I'm giving in this year too. I have to see what this is all about

18. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Yeah Im in! I went last year and had tons of fun! I just walked around and took a gander at all the booths and stuff. I'd wanna see what Disney Tron goodness is on board this year

19. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

respect.

20. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Damn burning man, I was about to invite you Will

21. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Was planning on going, but forgot I will be out of town for the weekend.:(

22. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I'm prolly not going this year, but I've been many years past.

I think this is a strong indicator of what to expect

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

As far as photos go, the light isn't terrible as its pretty bright but I'd make sure to have a really wide aperture. If you're shooting Nikon, bring nothing longer than a 35mm and 2.8, as people constantly get in your shot.

To be honest, if you're going to shoot costumes, you don't need to enter the convention as there's tonnes of people in cosplay costumes outside the entrance. Not worth the $20-$30 IMO.

23. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

This sounds like my kind of nerdery. When is it?

24. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

ill be going next weekend for sure.

I went to big comic festival there years and years ago in the mid 90's... think it was before the name changed to Fan Expo.

It was very small and was more or less a pure comic convention back then, all i remember was chilling with Lou muthafucking Ferrigno for a good 20 minutes.

25. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

FanExpo Canada

[​IMG]

It's also my kind of nerdiness...

>>> HOW DO I BUY TICKETS?
    1. ONLINE: Click Here (You MUST have a printer to print out your ticket)
    2. BY PHONE: TicketWeb.ca 1 (888) 222-6608
    3. IN-PERSON: Box Office at FAN EXPO CANADA™, Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

BOX OFFICE HOURS:
    Friday, August 27 - 3:30 pm - 9:00 pm
    Saturday, August 28 - 9:00 am - 6:30 pm
    Sunday, August 29 - 10:00 am - 5:30 pm

>>> FAN EXPO CANADA™ ADMISSION PASS 2010 PRICING

[​IMG]