• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

i am afraid of americans

littlejon

TRIBE Member
8:19 a.m. May 30, 2006

ATLANTA – A former Marine used a pocket knife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, had been walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said.

One of the attackers had a shotgun and another had a pistol, Stephens said.

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car but police found them later at a hospital where the girl was pronounced dead. The man stabbed in the incident was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and aggravated assault charges and are suspected in other robberies over the past week, Stephen said.

Stephens credited Autry's military training with helping him fend off the group.

“I would say he had to do what he had to do to stop the threat,” Stephens said. “You can tell his training kicked in and he knew what to do.”

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

link

i was wondering what sort of reactions the tribe massive would provide.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
If there were more incidents like this, maybe there'd be less assaults.

Good on the dude for defending himself. Too bad the girl died, I'm sure she didn't deserve death, but that's the risk she took with her stupid actions.

I hope the others get punished to the full extent of the law.

Why are people so barbaric?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Crime goes down in areas with legal concealed handguns. Turns out that robbers think twice about robbing someone when they don't know if they're packing a 9 or not.

I went to a gun show in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. What was amazing was that as a foreigner I was able to purchase a handgun and ammunition by simply showing an out of state drivers license to a private collector who had a table set up. Yup $100 and I too could own a glock.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
This is why you don’t start shit with people you don’t know. To bad that the girl died, but your actions have results, too many people in today’s society think they can just rob someone and walk away because they have the guts to do it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

littlejon

TRIBE Member
i doubt that with his training the marine had much choice but to defend himself; he reacted to a life-threatening situation.

but do you feel that arming the populace would reduce the amount of crime in the world?
are you saying that violence would end violence?

ditto:
perhaps crime goes down in areas with legal concealed weapons, but some stats would make me care more about your words.

what happens to the murder rate in areas with leaglized concealed weapons?

Last edited:

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
i remember reading about a veteran in vancouver and this girl broke in his house and held him at knife point demanding cash. he led her back to his room to get his "wallet" but instead pulled out a pistol and cracked her one across the face.

he called the police and ambulance right after, fractured her skull and almost killed her, his picture the next day made the front page, no apology, no remorse the caption read something like
"id do it again to the next punk that breaks into my house!"

awesome in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I am not quite sure what this story has to do with Americans (yes I am aware it happened in America), but people get robbed in Brampton all the time as well.

Is it because he was an ex-Marine that makes you afraid of Americans? Or just you believe in general this situation happens more in America?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

littlejon

TRIBE Member
running board:
i am curious to see the reactions of the predominantly toronto based 27 year old educated office worker that is the bulk of tribe.

the reactions from the blue collar chopper board i got this story from are what frighten me, not the fact that a marine acted just as he was trained to do.

violence exists everywhere, but how a specific society reacts to it is a very different thing.

Taro

TRIBE Member
well, I think it's a good thing that he defended himself - it's too bad that someone died, but as others have mentioned, that is the risk you take when you do stupid stupid things.

I think moving the discussion away from legally concealled weapons would be a good thing - doesn't really pertain to the issue of the article.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
this was posted on another board i visit, predominantly american with a very different socio-economic make up and outlook than tribe.

i was wondering what sort of reactions the tribe massive would provide.
What kind of reaction are you expecting? Obviously you have something in mind already...

My only thoughts were "good on him" for defending himself against the robbers.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
ditto:
perhaps crime goes down in areas with legal concealed weapons, but some stats would make me care more about your words.

what happens to the murder rate in areas with leaglized concealed weapons?
---------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_(USA)

FBI Uniform Crime Report (1992) shows that 70% of violent crimes are committed by 7% of criminals, many of whom are on probation or are given parole and released early. Of incarcerated felons surveyed by the Department of Justice, 34% have been driven away, wounded, or captured by armed citizens; 40% state that they have decided against committing crimes for fear their would-be victims were armed.

The FBI's statistics in the 1992 Uniform Crime Report also concluded: "Violent crime rates are highest overall in states with laws limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms for self-defense." [1]
---------------------------------

I'm still looking for a good 'stat' on it that isn't blocked at my work. forgive this may take a while.

Also please note that what works in Canada and the USA are not necessarily related. I'm against concealed carry in Canada yet for it in the USA because of other laws pertaining to guns and general availibility.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
running board:
i am curious to see the reactions of the predominantly toronto based 27 year old educated office worker that is the bulk of tribe.

the reactions from the blue collar chopper board i got this story from are what frighten me, not the fact that a marine acted just as he was trained to do.

violence exists everywhere, but how a specific society reacts to it is a very different thing.

Got it, ok my reaction was also "good on him" for defending himself, I probably would have gone down.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

littlejon

TRIBE Member
subsonic:
i do not have pre-set ideas, but i do have expectations of what tribe would provide.

more than anything else, i wanted discussion and conversation about a complicated topic, rather than talk about which guns are best for taking down would-be robbers, and how to shoot them so that the law will look favourably on you.

and my exploitive thread title was just to draw y'all in here.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
This case is actually proof AGAINST legalising handguns. These people used fire-arms to try and rob a guy. They would have succeeeded and maybe killed him had he not been a professionaly trained killer.

He wasn't armed with a gun, so there is nothing to justify saying that guns had a roll in "preventing" this crime. If those people didn't have guns, that girl would still be alive today. Even without using their fire-arms, the girl wound up dead because of them.

I too feel sad for the girl who died, but I also think the guy had to do what he had to do.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
more than anything else, i wanted discussion and conversation about a complicated topic, rather than talk about which guns are best for taking down would-be robbers, and how to shoot them so that the law will look favourably on you.
hahaha... I had no idea what kind of response you were refering to from the other message board, but I get it now and that's pretty hilarious.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
am i cold in saying i dont feel sad the girl died?

she tried to rob a dude at gun point, and had robbed otehrs that week as the story said. she was probally a fucked up violent person that would have fucked up others lives had she lived longer, its sad and i cant speak to the circumstances that may have put her in the posiition of robbing people but unfortunately id take the option of her getting killed while robbing and assulting a person than her getting away and trying to rob or kill other innocent people.

tonep

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I went to a gun show in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. What was amazing was that as a foreigner I was able to purchase a handgun and ammunition by simply showing an out of state drivers license to a private collector who had a table set up. Yup $100 and I too could own a glock.

uh no, not at all, there are so many things wrong with your statement

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
am i cold in saying i dont feel sad the girl died?
Yup. She didn't kill anyone and she was a young human being who most likely could have been helped.

It's the "survival of the fittest; she got what she deserved" attitude that BREEDS these people. People say it helps prevent crime, but this attitude causes violence and crime to proliferate exponentially.

It also makes it easier to be uncaring and self-righteous about life situations that certain people could never imagine being in. And they allow themselves to feel that it's somehow their own talents that got them there, when really it's a million other factors...like where they were born in the US, what color their skin is, how much money their parents had....and so on. So I think it's merely self-deception to say that those people are the same as someone who makes 80K a year because they were able to afford an education and had a safe and relatively upbringing.

It's just a question of humanity and compassion.