1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Human Trial Suspended Animation Treatment Set to Begin at Mass General

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Sep 26, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Human Trial Suspended Animation Treatment Set to Begin at Mass General

Legitimate, human trial suspended animation: Coming soon to Boston! What a lucky boy I am to have such mind-bending near-sci-fi research being conducted almost in my backyard, over at Massachusetts General Hospital.

It's true! Human trials for a cutting-edge suspended animation surgical treatment are all but set to begin at MGH. It's an incredible process that will see human beings (who have suffered trauma) cooled to the point of near-death using cooled saline solution, so that they can potentially survive longer and get the treatment they need in the OR:

The cold treatment, which is being developed at Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and is featured in a BBC Two Horizon documentary, will see patient's bodies being cooled to as low as 10 degrees C.
    The normal human body temperature is 37 degrees C and usually humans quickly die if the core body temperature drops below 22 degrees C. - The Telegraph
    Dr. Hasan Alam, the man leading this research at Massachusetts General Hospital, is so optimistic about the effectiveness of the freezing technique that he now believes 90% of "certain death" trauma cases (horrific auto accidents, et al) can be saved once human trials are completed, with no side effects whatsoever:

"The body is essentially in real life suspended animation with no pulse, no blood pressure, no electrical waves in the brain." he told the Telegraph. "We didn't find any evidence of functional impairment after the surgery."

Aliens sleep chambers this development certainly isn't, but that's ok. This is wild enough already.

un fucking real !!!!!

im so happy i was born in this age. only thing that would be better is being 1000 years from now just like in futurama :)

[jai]

2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

awesomesauce. Now they just need to put this into the spaceship to take us to that new planet and we're in business.

3. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

"I can't allow you do that, David."

4. lok

lok TRIBE Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

6. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

this should also be narrated by the Japanese robot mouth!

7. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

This is cool beans and all, but aren't there more pressing needs for medical research/care $$$?

8. lok

lok TRIBE Member

You mean besides making it so that no human dies from traumatic injury?

9. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

:O:O:O

My father was diagnosed with lupus over 20 years ago. At that time they gave him 2 years. He battled it as hard as he could (probably to stay alive for my mum who passed away a year after he died) and as a doctor, offered himself up as a guinea pig for every potential cure. I was late for school every day and ran home at lunch every day to give him his shots and measure every ounce of medicine he took at the exact time it had to be taken (His eyes got so bad he couldn't see properly). I was forgiven by my principal for being late. He lived for 5 years after the diagnosis.

Today lupus is no longer a death sentence. A friend of mine has it (8 years now) and is living a full life and taking the meds she needs.

Perhaps if this technology existed then and they found the medicine that could prolong his life as they have now, he would have lived a longer life. Not by much I think, but a few more years would have been nice.

Is this technology important? You bet your sweet ass it is.

10. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

I can think of so many uses for this, for example... Organ failure? Suspending them could give more time to find a donor. Tramautic injury and lack of blood supply? Again, more time to find a donor.

Not to mention the extra time that would be available to repair multiple bleeds after a major injury.

This technology is groundbreaking. Getting excited about this does not diminish the importance of other research. If anything, it enhances it.

11. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

Playing devil's advocate for minute:

Say we do successfully freeze someone indefinitely, what's the probability of successfully unfreezing them? We've all done the chinese leftovers scenario: Oh, I'll eat it tomorrow, just reheat it... but then you look at it, it's kind've gross and you just toss it back into the fridge and order pizza... it sits there for a while and then when you finally decide get back to it, it's got that blue fuzz mould on have the spicy green beans and you chuck the whole lot.

Tell me that's not going to happen to Uncle Edgar... he's sitting in the fridge with a mild coronary and you'll keep saying "I'll get to him tomorrow..." but by the time you get to poor Uncle Edgar, he's got that blue mould fuzz on half his face... and we'll just green bin him.

12. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Well right now my health card is 'donor z9'.

At that point we may have a zB - Do not resuscitate if covered in blue mould.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  13. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

She had a stroke and we're working on the technology to deal with embolisms right now but she kept sending me five dollars in the form of cheques every christmas... even in 1987, that kind've sucked... SO she goes to the back shelf, behind that half jar of cocktail onions you bought for last March's "Martini and Mustache Bash".

14. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

This. We could find ourselves in a position where putting dad on ice until a heart is found might be the only viable option. I'm not saying I like the idea, but should (read: when) peak oil and other factors result in a world that we would not recognize today, having someone occupy a hospital bed for 2 years won't be an option for almost everyone

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

the only problem i can forsee is the fact that if nobody ever dies or we prolong their life expectancy, it's one more mouth to feed when the global population is already getting to the point of being unmanagable from both a land and food POV.

Sure it would be nice for all of us to avoid certain death but the are consequences to consider.

16. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Actually, yeah. Putting money into cures/treatments that improve quality of life for people with chronic issues (asthma, cancer, MS, etc., etc.) instead of $$$$ to hold people in a semi cryogenic state until new treatments are developed/discovered. Now, if it's just a technique that will hold people over long enough to get from the trauma site to the OR, then that could be very useful. I guess I just instantly skipped ahead to people being held in suspended animation for extended periods of time (months, years, decades, etc.).

17. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I think we should freeze dangerous criminals until such time as we possess the technology to reprogram their brains for docility. And perhaps adeptness at manual labour.