1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Huawei, spying, and critical telecommunications network infrastructure

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Oct 10, 2012.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

So it seems the Harper government decided, reluctantly, not to let Huawei build any critical network infrastructure for Canadian government services. At least I think that is what they are saying.

The Americans recently decided the same thing, so I suppose Harper had to block Huawei as our two country's telecommunication systems are so intertwined.

I guess Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent stock is looking good right about now, after the US ban on Huawei.

The 60 minutes story on Huawei is pretty informative about how no US companies (or even Canadian companies, for that matter) exist that can make this 4G infrastructure components... Wow. Globalization has sure killed our domestic high tech industries.

Huawei probed for security, espionage risk - 60 Minutes - CBS News

2. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Huawei is very present in Canadian telecom infrastructure...

3. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

So our government is saying one thing and doing another... unsurprising. I wonder how the Americans are going to deal with Huawei technology in our infrastructure? Penalize us in some way? Cut the Canadian government out of the intelligence loop (they have probably done this a long time ago)...

5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yup yup.

As an ex-telecom employee, I know that they were used more than companies will admit.

Now...it's probably more.

6. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Former Canadian top security officials join call for Canada to nix ties to China's Huawei

Huawei, the Chinese smartphone and telecom giant, is coming under scrutiny from Ward Elcock, John Adams and Richard Fadden, three former top national security officials. They are sounding the alarm after the heads of the CIA, NSA and Defence Intelligence Agency told U.S. lawmakers that the company poses a threat to Americans. The U.S. spymasters are concerned about the ability to conduct undetected espionage using the company's smartphones and networks. Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale told The Globe that the company, which was founded by a former engineer in the People's Liberation Army, is being monitored and does not pose a risk to Canada's cybersecurity. In the past, Huawei has been accused of acting as an arm of China's Communist Party and of stealing Western technology.

7. Charlie476

Charlie476 New Member

I don't have a Huawei. I use a different brand of smartphone. But when I bought my first smartphone, I saw that it just does whatever it wants. As soon as it gets access to the internet, it immediately starts to update, download, etc. All built-in apps often ask for access to personal information - my contacts, camera, video and so on. At first, I didn't like this, but then I understood that there's no point in worrying about it since all smartphones work this way.

8. dbzraver

dbzraver New Member

almost every cheap china smartphone android you find on amazon is also plagued with backdoors, that's not to say that the popular smartphones are any safer. Everyone gives app permissions to listen with the mic and use the cameras, and we have really no idea how much abuse happens.