1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Html-html5 - css asp - php - java - query

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Apr 9, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

what is the best coding language to learn for online web building.

currently at my job i am working in Visual Studio doing site updates and building sites, but using mostly already existing templates, and modifying the code etc.

so i have a understanding of the code and what it does and how it does it, but its limited and i want to know the actual language structure and learn it properly.

so my question is, if i was going to take condensed classes or learning modules, what language is going to serve me best, since i am already using HTML & CSS at work, should i stick with that, or go another route?

and does anyone know of a decent school to take these types of courses at?

thanks for any suggestions/info.

2. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

if you already have experience in VS, i'd just build on that. Learn your C#/VB, don't take any classes, buy the MS books and learn yourself, employers love MS deveoper cert's so do those if you have the time. VS and the .NET framework are constantly updated and build on top of each version so it's easy to keep up to date and in the know.

VS2010 and .NET 4 launches next week (April 12) and I've been holding off on a new website until its officially out. Learn all the shit on your own at your own pace dude

What version of VS and what framework are you using now
  3. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Being a web software QA, I usually work with ASP.net and/or Java developpers. There's also a lot of demand for Flash Developpers but I don't know how that demand will fare when HTML5 is out.
  4. glych t.anomaly

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

is what i am using now.

and i understand i could just get the books, but i learn ALOT better in condensed learning modules.

so knowing what is the right thing to take, as well as the company footing the bill for me to take them, is a huge bonus :)

5. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

i agree with rawd, you should just expand your VS skills.

if you already have a good handle on CSS and HTML then the next logical step from that is getting into javascript and jQuery for dynamic content. Microsoft adopted jQuery as its JS API of choice.

From there if you don't know much about C# or VB you might want to take a VS web builders course that gets into building data structures and querying data, preferably with LINQ. MVC 2 is out now too which is microsofts version of Ruby on Rails I guess. I haven't had the time to try it out yet.

I don't know about any courses on offer but I'm sure they're going on all over the city. I've always found that on the job is the best way to really get into things.
  6. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Are you looking to build web pages, or build applications that push the content to the web pages?

Since you are already in the land of Visual Studio, I'd stick with that. If you want to leverage your existing HTML/CSS skills, stick to more web-pages, I would suggest learning JavaScript/jQuery.

jQuery is a great framework. It helped me go from hating JavaScript to really enjoy working with it. If I recall correctly, MS is working on having jQuery be part of VS / adding intellisense support for it / integratingit more into Visual Studio.

If you want to work more on your web-application side of things : The crunching that does the database calls, gets the information/data, and spits it out in a way to be used on a web-page. Then I would recommend learning C#.

You are already on the .NET framework, already using Visual Studio, it's just the logical choice. Switching to PHP would be a completely new environment / development stack to learn, and not being able to leverage your existing skills as well.

Just don't bother with VB.NET.
  7. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I watched a few tutorials of jQuery being used in .NET MVC and it looks pretty slick. Wish I had more freetime to leave my webforms bubble world and pick up some MVC skills.

I have NO idea about courses. I've only taken 1 course decades ago and it was this classic ASP course at Servitor, which was completely brutal. The best part of that course was the italian pizza place across the street :)
  8. glych t.anomaly

Web pages is what im more concerned with now and the functionality that is tied into our Product Application which is also developed in VS, and then maybe moving into the Web Applications etc later on.

right now something that will help me understand the CSS/HTML better than i do now, and Java/jQurey def sounds like something that would benefit what i am currently doing.

9. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

jquery for sure.
    .net is definitely an asset if you see building cms in your future.
    I'd stay away from Flash for now as the market is moving towards using jquery to accomplish things they used to have to use Flash for.