• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HT Receiver Buying Help...

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Its time for me to update/upgrade my receiver.

My current receiver is an Onkyo TX501 which I love but its time to go all HDMI.

So what's hip and new in the world of HT Receivers?

Im looking at about the $400 price range and would be good with a 6.1 system.

I've been super happy with Onkyo so I'd be open to sticking with them unless they've gone to shit.

kuba

TRIBE Member
shit! you can get pandora with a receiver? must be through a vpn but still that's damn wicked. I'm trying to figure out how the hell to get pandora on my sonos.

Vise

TRIBE Member
In that price range the Onkyo 616 is a great choice, plenty of power and tons of networking features. You should be able to get one for around $450-500ish, if that is too much the 515 can probably be had for $350-400. If you need a contact for good pricing shoot me a PM.

I love my Onkyo TX-NR 809
I'm running the Onkyo 809 as well, working very well for me and certainly no lack of power. I've used some of the streaming audio stuff a bit and the iPad remote is pretty neat too.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
The 515 is the one Im looking at. Ill shoot you a PM for good pricing!

In that price range the Onkyo 616 is a great choice, plenty of power and tons of networking features. You should be able to get one for around $450-500ish, if that is too much the 515 can probably be had for $350-400. If you need a contact for good pricing shoot me a PM.

I'm running the Onkyo 809 as well, working very well for me and certainly no lack of power. I've used some of the streaming audio stuff a bit and the iPad remote is pretty neat too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

octo

TRIBE Member
alright. my Onkyo 701 has served me well but i need to get with the times.

the straw that broke this camel's back was having a movie on my phone. the phone has hdmi out, but the receiver doesn't have hdmi ins. so i had to connect it to my TV and watch it using the TV speakers. sure i could connect the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, but i have an indiana jones snake pit of cables back there already.

ideally i would have liked to have built in bluetooth and nfc in a new receiver. which lead me to the Sony STR 1050. However my speakers are 4ohm and I don't trust the Sony to drive them.

actually I always thought I'd be into separates at this point. but you pay more for less features with those things so...

unless someone has a better idea/suggestion. i think i'm going to get the Pioneer 1228 that's on sale right now at future shop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=31f4c8fe9796045d8adfa72b1a5a2635en02

D3 amp will drive my speakers
HDMI MHL input on front
Nice video processor
from what i've read audio quality is great
useful room calibration

has all the other typical receiver features in this price range

no bluetooth but that's not a make or break

what say ye?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
look for a receiver that has HDMI with ARC, this HDMI format can send and receive signals so as per your example you could still use the TV but send signal to the speakers,

ARC explained

octo

TRIBE Member
The problem in my example is that my current receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs at all. The TV has an ARC enabled HDMI port, but to get sound from the TV to the receiver I would either have had to connect the TV's audio output either using it's stereo or optical output. I couldn't be assed to do that so I started researching new receivers instead. I don't actually NEED a new receiver. It would just make things more convenient and less messy.

I didn't realise that for ARC to work it had to be connected to an ARC enabled receiver. Anyway, the Pio has it and I'm sure every new receiver would too.

It's definitely a useful feature.

How useful is DLNA? any of you guys use it? Anyone have a NAS drive connected to their receiver?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I use DLNA almost daily, I have a HDD hooked up to my router which I can access via DLNA. I also use a program called Servio that enables my laptop to show up under DLNA on my TV (easier). I also use Airplay but I prefer DLNA since I can still use my laptop ( my entire setup is Apple friendly)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories