• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

HR Question

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Is an openly flamboyent gay individual considered to be part of a visual minority in the workplace?
Depends on what they lump into that category, but given that these designated groups are dedicated Human Resources Development and Skills Canada I would consult with how they define these employment equity groups. However, I dont think they consider being a cowboy a VM.

We call it LGBT, and no, its not considered a VM in the workplace from our standpoint.

AMc

TRIBE Member
Is an openly flamboyant straight individual considered a visible minority in the workplace?

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
btw I'm not refering to myself but I am part of the cibc Pride network :)
I know there quite a few plans in place for this employee segment, especially from the standpoint of an employee resource group, like CIBC Pride, which I take is one. Being involved in these groups are great for networking, mentoring and taking charge of your career.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Hm. In my experience, yes. Though I don't agree, I've had to fill out stuff where this was definitely an option.

It depends on why this is being asked.

ila

TRIBE Member
Visible minorities are defined by the Canadian Employment Equity Act as "persons, other than Aboriginal people, who are non-Caucasian in race or non-white in colour."
I got that from Wikipedia.

So, no.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I've totally applied and checked off "LGBTIQQ." But again, in this case obviously it was beneficial as they're trying to hire visible minorities through equity initiatives.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I've totally applied and checked off "LGBTIQQ." But again, in this case obviously it was beneficial as they're trying to hire visible minorities through equity initiatives.
LGBTQ is not a visible minority. however any employer can choose to include it as a non-visible minority when/if they are including minority status in their hiring practices.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
LGBTQ is not a visible minority. however any employer can choose to include it as a non-visible minority when/if they are including minority status in their hiring practices.
Or when applying for jobs that want to hire visible minorities through specific funding.
I'm not saying I consider it to be but some workplaces do.

Pottsie

TRIBE Member
I asked a friend who is an HR manager this question and her response was this:

Sexual preference does not make you a visible minority!

The Employment Equity Act designates four groups as the beneficiaries of employment equity:
1) Women
2) People with disabilities
3) Aboriginal people, a category consisting of Status Indians, Non-status Indians, Métis (people of mixed French-Aboriginal ancestry in western Canada), and Inuit (the Aboriginal people of the Arctic).
4) Visible minorities, a category defined as the following (using the nomenclature of the Canadian government): Blacks, Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Koreans, Latin Americans, Pacific Islanders, South Asians, and West Asians/Arabs.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Exactly. Which I'm saying is erroneous but does exist (as an error) as myself have checked off that I was a visible minority and chose both "Asian" and "LGTB."

Colm

TRIBE Member
Wait, Mofo, wouldn't you have visible minority protection anyway? I recall you mentioning that you're Chinese-Canadian somewhere sometime on Tribe.

edit: nvm

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Wait, Mofo, wouldn't you have visible minority protection anyway? I recall you mentioning that you're Chinese-Canadian somewhere sometime on Tribe.

edit: nvm
I have no idea what you mean when you refer to "protection."

My point is that not all workplaces are up with the definitions. I work in employment equity so there are many places who still use the terms "workmen's comp" to mean ODSB (which is TOTALLY different) or "manpower" to refer to "Service Canada."

So you can imagine the many many many erroneous terms being used in the world of HR (yes, even big companies).

I routinely apply to places as a random applicant to go through their HR processes for my clients. And to experience it firsthand so that I know how to counsel my students.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Is an openly flamboyent gay individual considered to be part of a visual minority in the workplace?
That answer to that is "yes, it can even though it's wrong."

That's why I asked about the specific situation. What is this for?

If it's to my advantage, HELLS YEAH I'm fucking throwing my limp wrists up in the air and getting that grant or job or position.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
there is an answer: no matter how flamboyant you are, being LGBTQ does NOT make you a visible minority. that's the answer.