• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How's everyone holding up?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
20 min line for Costco on Tuesday, never seen so much produce and bathroom tissue & paper towels before. 3 whole chickens for 25 bucks, which was alluring. 5 mins to checkout.

Might make a Loblaws and LCBO run today if there's time.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
We are holding up alright. I picked up my mother (who is 86 years old with diabetes which puts her in a high risk category) from her seniors community a few weeks ago, and brought her to our cottage in Prince Edward County where we are waiting out the pandemic. I beefed up my home office set-up there, as I am still working full time, remotely.

I know that some frown on folks staying in vacation homes at this time, but we are not adding to the load in the area as our place would ordinarily be occupied by Airbnb guests. We normally have low vacancy throughout the year but have been forced to cancel bookings due to C-19.

We announced to our employees today our company's commitment to not cut any jobs as a result of C-19 in 2020.

My wife, Jane, is on 50% salary, and we temporarily laid off our nanny as we don't require her services as long as we stay outside Toronto. We are helping her with with CERB and intend to hire her back when my wife goes back to regular pay and/or we return to Toronto.

We are doing our best to home-school our kids (6 year-old daughter and 4 year-old son). I handle math lessons, while my wife does the rest.

The grocery stores up there don't have line-ups which is great.

We are waiting to put our dock back in the lake so that we can start fishing.

I miss regular life, but I also think that in a few years we will look back at this time very fondly. I have never spent so much consecutive time with my wife and two kids, and I'm really enjoying it (except for the times we want to kill each other).

I miss my gym and trainer, but have been doing my best with body-weight workouts.

I miss my barber, and think I will try cutting my own hair later today. If I screw it up, at least I won't be seeing anyone outside of Zoom Meetings for awhile.

Stay Safe, Tribe! I hope you and your families are all staying safe and healthy, and sane!

praktik

TRIBE Member
We are holding up alright. I picked up my mother (who is 86 years old with diabetes which puts her in a high risk category) from her seniors

I miss my barber, and think I will try cutting my own hair later today. If I screw it up, at least I won't be seeing anyone outside of Zoom Meetings for awhile.
Wife haircut is likely to happen this weekend for me ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Yup, hair shag is definitely getting to me now. Once my set of hair clippers arrives in the mail, I will be shaving it all off again with either the #1 or #0 clipper setting. Who else is doing this during lockdown? LOL

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
The fog of coronavirus
Axios USA

We're fighting the greatest public health crisis in a century, and we barely understand our enemy, Axios' Felix Salmon writes.

• We cannot afford to stay in lockdown until a cure or vaccine arrives — but anybody trying to reopen our cities needs information that is frustratingly difficult to find.
The big picture: The single biggest obstacle to reopening the economy is a lack of visibility — we don't know the scope of the pandemic itself, or its economic fallout, or how its trajectory will change as we embark upon an ad hoc effort to reopen the economy.

We don't know how many people the coronavirus has killed, or how many people have had it.

• The official tally of over 37,000 deaths is too low, because it's based on people who died after testing positive for the coronavirus, but we don't know how low.
We don't know how many Americans have lost their jobs because of the coronavirus shutdown.

• The official tally is 22 million new applications for unemployment benefits. But millions more haven't been able to make it through the application process, or haven't tried.
  • The biggest employers will be able to rehire their legions of workers, but the bigger concern is the businesses that will never be able to reopen. We don't know how many of them there will be.
We don’t know when we'll have a treatment, whether summer will tame the spread, or whether the virus could return in the fall even stronger. We don't know whether we're immune once we've had it, or for how long.

• We don't know whether tech will allow us to trace it, or whether enough Americans would sign up for that, even if it does.
  • We don’t know when it’ll be safe to fly, go to a game, or pack into a school or a church.
The bottom line: It’s shocking and a bit scary how much we do not know, despite how much we now do know.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been eating well but simply, cooking at home. Yesterday I had takeout for the first time in 7 weeks. Just fries and a sandwich from miramira down the street. OMG was it ever good! Those fries! And I am not even a fries person, but fuck they were good.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Know what’s gross? The tinfoil crowd in the comments sections. Most from obvious areas. Still disappointing though. The total, wilful disregard for common sense and scientific data among certain sects of the populace is maddening. Endless partisan hackery (not a word but should be). Brutal selfishness, combined with a propensity for belief in conspiratorial nonsense are a blight.

Much as I wish I could just hit the Island and ride this out, I’ve found another reason to feel super blessed, living in Canada right now.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Parents' stress levels spike

The new pressures on working parents to be full-time employees and full-time homeschool teachers while protecting their families from the pandemic are leading to exhaustion — with no end in sight, Kim Hart and Alison Snyder write.

• Why it matters: Working parents make up roughly one-third of the U.S. workforce. The longer the stay-at-home orders continue, the greater the chance that these workers will be on the verge of emotional and cognitive burnout before they return to their offices.
  • At the end of March, 57% of mothers and 32% of fathers of kids under 18 reported worsening mental health, per a Kaiser Family Foundation survey.
Early research in China found that quarantine can bring on insomnia, stress, anxiety, depression, anger, emotional exhaustion and post-traumatic stress symptoms, per a review published in The Lancet.

• And the mental health impact was higher in cases where parents were quarantined with children. One study found 28% of parents were experiencing "trauma-related mental health disorder."
Reality check: People with lower incomes and those whose jobs or paychecks have been cut due to the coronavirus outbreak are more likely to be experiencing high psychological distress, Pew found.

• Mary Alvord, a psychologist in D.C., said: "There is a whole segment of society [whose d]ecisions are made for them. The core of resilience is feeling you have control over many aspects of your life. ... The more resources you have, the more control you have."
What to watch: This work-life upheaval will change the workplace when the pandemic eases.

• The "new normal" will probably involve more worker autonomy, more trust of remote workers' productivity and more flexibility for parents to balance home and office demands.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I hit St. Lawrence Market yesterday. Arrived just after 7 am . No lineup. It is so good to have this still open. I stocked up on meat, bought 170 bucks worth of cuts like shank, brisket, and pork shoulder (which are the tastiest anyway). Will cook and freeze. Should last a couple of months.

If you are going to go, go early. 90% of the vendors are open.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
^Alex, what kind of mask are you wearing? I've decided not to take public transit or go to the supermarkets again until my masks are delivered to me. Had a bad experience using the streetcar last time to do my grocery shopping.

I hit St. Lawrence Market yesterday. Arrived just after 7 am . No lineup. It is so good to have this still open. I stocked up on meat, bought 170 bucks worth of cuts like shank, brisket, and pork shoulder (which are the tastiest anyway). Will cook and freeze. Should last a couple of months.

I really need to get down there for some quality food

Mondieu

TRIBE Member

The Market is a gift. I’ve been going there once a week at various times and have yet to see a lineup. Quit telling people!!! Lol!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
^Alex, what kind of mask are you wearing? I've decided not to take public transit or go to the supermarkets again until my masks are delivered to me. Had a bad experience using the streetcar last time to do my grocery shopping.
Because of my goldsmithing work, I have a half dozen N95 masks on hand that I bought last year to avoid inhaling metal particulates and silica (from polishing). I have been reusing 1 mask for the last month. Used a black marker to block out the 3M logo so I don't get any grief from snarky people. I bicycled over, although my friend Nat took the Queen car which seemed to be totally empty in her photo, except for her and the operator.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Because of my goldsmithing work, I have a half dozen N95 masks on hand that I bought last year to avoid inhaling metal particulates and silica (from polishing). I have been reusing 1 mask for the last month. Used a black marker to block out the 3M logo so I don't get any grief from snarky people. I bicycled over, although my friend Nat took the Queen car which seemed to be totally empty in her photo, except for her and the operator.

I had to order my 3M N95 masks from abroad because all local retailers including online have been sold out for a long time. Plus, I'm still waiting for my hair clippers because they are sold out as well. LOL

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It will be an uphill climb in the West.

People were never really present in clubs for years anyway - they may have been standing in a club but they've been on their phones. They don't have anything invested in clubs. They can be on their phones anywhere and many have discovered this while in quarantine - whether it be listening to and watching Carl Cox spin vinyl from his home studio, or watching a million other DJs try to to get their attention. It will be interesting to see who goes out to a club after this.
What insurance company will cover liability for big Festivals, the EDCs and Velds, any of them, for covid-19 infection? That is surely going to be a City, Provincial, State, or Country level requirement for any gathering but especially large EDM festivals. They are like beached cruise ships. Can you imagine 1 sweaty shirtless infected raver squeezing himself though & around a 10k+ crowd for hours, sharing water and dancing hard in the thick of the crowd? Yikes.

This has been a great opportunity, for me at least, to hear some good tracks, and to get into a lot of home studios of many of my faves to look around. And to hear some new talent too. Something new will emerge but I cannot conveive what it might be like. What a crazy time to be alive.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Got the front yard weeded, cleaned up and landscaped, refreshed with 22sq/m of cedar mulch and river stones. Next will be the back yard. Part of me wants to get those new outdoor speakers by Sonos since I'll be primarily working from home until anywhere between July & January (at least!)...

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Got the front yard weeded, cleaned up and landscaped, refreshed with 22sq/m of cedar mulch and river stones. Next will be the back yard. Part of me wants to get those new outdoor speakers by Sonos since I'll be primarily working from home until anywhere between July & January (at least!)...
They sounds great tbh... probably not a bad investment :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My next project to keep busy and occupied here in isolation is to turn my unfinished basement, well a corner of it, into a prototyping workshop for my cannabis accessories and jewelry. The main obstacle was removing massive piles of junk I have accumulated over the years. None of it brings me joy, but there might be something I might need in there someday. The procrastination double bind.
Starting was important. I have cleared much of it away now, and I'm starting to think about where I will put the workbench and table for the lathe and drill press.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders