• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How's everyone holding up?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been self isolating for a month. Been doing OK for the most part. Today I had a visit from a friend in the neighborhood and we spoke to each other through my front window. Now I'm a bit sad because the entire experience of that just hit me. Fuck.

I am healthy so far.

As an only child I cope better with isolation and loneliness. Nobody has learned to cope with deep existential loneliness like us only children. And, I don't have a family. We'll I do really - you're my family. But you know what I mean; kids, partner, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, etc. I have none of that. Maybe that's a bonus? Or a big loss? I don't know.

I am so fortunate to not be trapped in a small place with someone I dislike. You know that feeling you got when you went on a party boat cruise because someone talked you into it, and not even 100 feet from the dock everyone on the boat was completely smashed, chewing their faces off and sweaty, the air a giant protein~beer fart, and there was another 6 hours left of it to endure. Imagine 6 months of it. A year.

I appreciate my solitude.

As for my new cannabis accessories business, there's not much I can do until this blows over. Just when it was getting traction too. The income evaporating. Poof. Everything frozen in Amber like that bug in Jurassic Park 1. But I think I will continue to market and promote the products because it will give me something to do. And I am working on a new dabber design in sterling silver: a one-off, a sterling silver hockey stick 6 inches long. Perfect for a hockey fan who needs to scrape rosin out of little jars. I'll post pics.

I've started vegetable seeds in a small hydroponic setup to plant in the backyard. I didn't inherit my Dad's green thumb. I try though. This year lettuce, onion, tomato, pak choi . I ordered some bulk sprout seeds from a place in Quebec, the same place my Mom ordered seeds when we lived there years ago, so I will try to make my own sprout salads.

I am still picking though slides and negatives and artifacts and putting them into the LEGACY exhibit site, usually every day. I think that is keeping me sane. Fuck I miss those days. It is quite grounding to see those photos. For me anyway. Maybe for you too. Have a look at the tribe magazine photo exhibit

Be Well xo alexd

praktik

TRIBE Member
Im doing ok!

Still have so much work and two cuties to hang out with (wife and cat) so to be honest feeling blessed and like i have a better context to see me through this than all those struggling with work, people alone without partners and cats.

My 70 year old father in law needs to stop fucking working at Home Depot, tons of seniors on their staff

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Lots going on here. The kids are running around the house & yard, my wife's figuring out how to deliver elementary schooling online starting next week, and I'm generally telecommuting with pretty much everyone else at the office. Winter tires swapped out on the whip, back deck washed and scrubbed of mold. Jogs at 0530 before the city wakes up. Cocktail hour at 1600. Smoking of meats with charcoal and wood. Grilling, baking, the usual 9 yards. I have enjoyed having no traffic when I cruise the city when I head along Danforth down to the office on Bay. It's like I remember the city in the early 90s, or after I was done flyering or coming home from working at clubs.

I'm grateful the internet allows me to interact with friends and strangers, and family, at the swipe of a finger. And each time I go to a supermarket or LCBO the supply chain continues to remain intact :)

acheron

TRIBE Member
gods can you imagine what this would be like if we didn't have the internet? heck, even if we did but it was like it was in the 1990s when we were all raving? no smart phones...

we're doing ok. Ethan (turning 18 on April 20th) and Chloe (15) are bored but keeping themselves busy with (light) school work, video games and chatting with friends. My wife works from home most of the time anyway so she hasn't seen much of a change (she works for a financial services co) ... me I'm on the couch playing Doom Eternal. i was supposed to start on the job training for a new career (CP Rail Conductor!) on March 23rd but that got suspended so now i'm in a holding pattern. I'll qualify for CERB so no worries there. We can do this isolating thing for as long as necessary to get this thing under control.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Good here in the Hammer. My daughter gets some school stuff done each day. Sandra gets to run Ivanhoe Cambridge's building department from home. I'm demoing my basement. New dj room encased in concrete. TV room and washroom after. Then, entirely new framed out roof for garage.
I've been smoking a lot more pot. 4 big bags to choose from.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thunder

TRIBE Member
Hi Alex!

We ain't got no lardons but we do have plenty of meat to bbq and smoke still. Grocery stores are still delivery food for now which is good!

We're lucky we have a very secluded sub and there's a massive county park in walking distance I can take my dog for long walks and escape alone in for hours.

Another bright note my studio has got a serious upgrade kick in the pants. I should have a multi camera live to internet broadcast soon. Albeit on a throttle downed internet connection. I've been drinking myself into oblivion every Friday and djing on FB live

Not having the option of crossing back across the border is kinda crazy. I had always thought in these times if things got really scary I could always drive back up north and stay with my rents.. they have enough food, propane, generator, etc. to last for years.

Got a link to that South African music set you played at Nick and Malia's wedding?

I'd do anything to be there in a few months.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Lots going on here. The kids are running around the house & yard, my wife's figuring out how to deliver elementary schooling online starting next week, and I'm generally telecommuting with pretty much everyone else at the office. Winter tires swapped out on the whip, back deck washed and scrubbed of mold. Jogs at 0530 before the city wakes up. Cocktail hour at 1600. Smoking of meats with charcoal and wood. Grilling, baking, the usual 9 yards. I have enjoyed having no traffic when I cruise the city when I head along Danforth down to the office on Bay. It's like I remember the city in the early 90s, or after I was done flyering or coming home from working at clubs.

I'm grateful the internet allows me to interact with friends and strangers, and family, at the swipe of a finger. And each time I go to a supermarket or LCBO the supply chain continues to remain intact :)
Sounds somewhat similar to our place here in KW. Less 1 kid.

Making sure the propane is topped up for the bbq and the meat is plentiful. 10lb of potatoes so good on that front.

The hardest part for me is that now that school is out for at least another month, trying to keep my daughter engaged and at the same time have her learning.

I think online classes start next week which will be great as it will add a lot of structure to the day. And of course it will give the kids a chance to reconnect with their school friends.

As for today’s project, I am going to get the kid to help me archive some vinyl that hasn’t been touched in a long time. First up.......

Frankie Knuckles - Whistle Song

Alex, thank you for all you do. Stay safe, stay strong. Much Love.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
working from home is nice. doing outdoor walks and bodyweight exercises at home, but missing the gym.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Hamilton's shut down until May 25th. fuck me.

Also, i have begun the process of dealing with, yet again, an Underworld concert will be canceled. i do not expect a remake date...tough enough getting them here at all. fuck me.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I’m a self-employed tradesman. Things are pretty grim on the work front. The only clients I’m dealing with now are in empty houses and commercial buildings, so nobody is around. Doesn’t change the fact that its all drying up, as is to be expected.

Focusing on the garden. Dug out my collection of seeds that I’ve been trading and collecting for the past 15 years. Apparently, I’m an heirloom whore - or hoarder, if you prefer. ...maybe just a voracious curator. Lol!

I’ve already prepped and doubled the size of my beds. Just about to start 150 various seeds, so I can get a jump on things. That’ll give me something to do over the weekend and also lead to a bumper crop of wonderful veggies and flora.

Anyone interested in trading heirloom seeds or plants? Feel free to PM me! I’m constantly adding to my stocks and love the idea that we can keep some of these strains of tasty goodness going, for people to enjoy. :)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
The shut down has been ramped up to industrial & commercial construction, cannabis (don't like that term), and no new residential work.

LCBO remains open...

acheron

TRIBE Member
LCBO has to remain open - closing access to alcohol would create an even bigger problem for healthcare and they don't need that right now.

peko

TRIBE Member
you've got to be kidding me?! is the best so far. re: I'm loving Doug Ford

We are doing well despite dealing with bats in the air ductwork and air vents - battling landlord in tribunals.

:) mod one has the girls while I look for a new home for the girls and I.

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
ive been in apoca-mode for nearly 10 years so..
im fine, startng to smoke weed again after a loooooong time off.
went live a few times on fb and played some tunes to much amazement.
overall my health isnt great, if i catch this virus itll probly take me out.
so ive been wearing a mask outside, and going out to just get food etc...appointments etc.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
The cabin fever is real. Been in isolation for 4 weeks now. Had a wicked bad cold with a cough and a sore throat at the beginning of March and they told me to stay home. Been working remotely since.
I go for midnight walks to get fresh air. The streets are still a bit too alive for me during the day (The Annex) for my tastes. Midnight is nice and empty.
There are some pluses though. I get way more sleep, I've been focusing on how to perfect the perfect French omelette, over various hobbies of mine have taken front and centre.
I'm also counting my blessings that the business I work for is still in operation; many of our employees have had their hours cut and several have been laid off, however my department is deemed essential. As long as my place needs and internet connection for any work I'm good.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm also counting my blessings that the business I work for is still in operation; many of our employees have had their hours cut and several have been laid off, however my department is deemed essential. As long as my place needs and internet connection for any work I'm good.
This - im blessed to be working too - had a 75 hour barn burner - busiest week of the year so far, last week. It makes COVID easier to take to be having so much happening at work still and to be able to participate fully in the workplace without leaving the place.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I'm doing well considering, fortunate to still have a job, we've been working remote for 3(ish?) weeks now. Meetings using Zoom, etc. Downsides are I've got cabin fever even though I'm normally a hermit as is... plus side is my house is absolutely spotless (more than usual) and I've been cooking up a storm. Looking forward to seeing my homies once this is over. And god damn do I miss EPL... LFC was two wins away from winning the season. The curse is real.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Had to go do a major shop. Lines to get in were crazy but with 6’ between people, the reality is - not so bad.

The one thing I am noticing is that people are starting to hit the meltdown point. I’ve been to 2 of the 3 places I need to go and have seen altercations - in line - at both. People freaking out over the tiniest things. They exploded, cursed, stomped their feet, railed at everyone around them. ...and then still had to wait in line and look like asshole toddlers.

This is by no means the norm. Most people are keeping a semblance of respect, decency and even humour.

Be safe. Be patient. Be kind. The one thing everyone can do to help their fellow human, is make a proper attempt to not absolutely lose it. We are all in this together and a little courtesy goes a long way!

peko

TRIBE Member
Had to go do a major shop. Lines to get in were crazy but with 6’ between people, the reality is - not so bad.

The one thing I am noticing is that people are starting to hit the meltdown point. I’ve been to 2 of the 3 places I need to go and have seen altercations - in line - at both. People freaking out over the tiniest things. They exploded, cursed, stomped their feet, railed at everyone around them. ...and then still had to wait in line and look like asshole toddlers.

This is by no means the norm. Most people are keeping a semblance of respect, decency and even humour.

Be safe. Be patient. Be kind. The one thing everyone can do to help their fellow human, is make a proper attempt to not absolutely lose it. We are all in this together and a little courtesy goes a long way!
I could not do a major shop, you are brave. Your experience reminds me of a facebook share: ".....everyone handles chaos and healing through different means. Everyone needs to stop being judgemental of others - re: how nasty people are about other making "non-essential trips in the stores based on what was in their carts".

I know you're talking juvenile/ toddler behavior but it matches the facebook poster's shopping experience in her community. :)

I miss grocerygateway.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Slowly coming to terms with the current and future state of affairs. I am not working and I am not expecting school to be back in session until the fall, but at least my wife still is working from home, which is awesome however it does add some stress on the home front as the three of us have never spent this much time together under any circumstances, never mind in the house.

We go for the daily walks and we are fortunate that we have a home, a yard, and food on the table.

This weekend was tough but hey, things could be so much worse.

Spent the early part of the evening sorting through markers, pens, crayons, etc. with my daughter in the basement. Got the Mrs to bed early as she is wiped so my daughter and I came down to the basement (which I like to call the rec room) and dropped some you tube James Grant & Jody Wisternoff from Hong Kong.

Going to grab a beer and have dance party for a bit with my little girl. Bed time has completely gone out the window.

Be kind to yourself and those around you. Look for the good in all of this chaos. This too shall pass.

Peace

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am starting to harvest my own produce. Growing pak choi hydroponically indoors,first harvest tonight. Eating lots of my own sprouts. I've started cherry tomato plants to put outside when it warms up. Also, I ordered a large horticultural LED light that is big enough to keep me in greens and maybe even tomatoes, indoors, over the course of next winter. It's the sprouts that are really nice. I wish I'd kept that big chest freezer, because I would be filling it with meat. I am going to try to be as self sufficient as I can be.
Personally I am OK. Healthy so far and not too cabin feverish. My creativity has evaporated but I am starting to try and take some photos again in the studio (of the tribe cannabis accessories) to pry myself out of the creative doldrums.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories