• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Howard Stern Appreciation Thread

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The old thread is too pre-Sirius.
So this is a new thread for diehard Stern fans. I've been loyal for years and the new Sirius show is the bes thing to happen to me. I would KILL to intern on that show.
Did anyone else see Jason Sirotin's mom's appearance? That was amazing.

Anyway, it took me a week to find this so I'm going to share:

Tina Fey on Howard Stern trashing Paris Hilton and talking about her life.
http://www.notesofadefeatist.com/200...ts-shark-week/

"She's a piece of shit... She's so dumb and so proud of how dumb she is. She looks like a trannie..." - Tina Fey

Just to let people know that I want Sirius for Christmas.
That is my dream gift. I love Howard Stern more than life itself.

acheron

TRIBE Member
It IS the reason to get SIRIUS satellite radio, no question. SOOOOO good. He's 10 times what he was on terrestrial.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Tracy Jordan is one smart motherfucker.
He's crazy but you can tell he's got a really interesting life, a great family and a good head on his shoulders.

His wife has a masters in business, his kids are homeschooled cuz teachers used to bug his kids about Brian Fellows and it was too distracted.. And his oldest kid is 21 (at NYU)!

Crazy. I love him. Only on Stern can Fey and Jordan be interviewed like this.
Fuck Leno and Walters. Seriously.
The only one who is on Stern's level is Charlie Rose.

culture

TRIBE Member
im addicted.

I have almost every Howard Stern show recorded from 1990 to 2006. I listen to his old shows all day everyday at work.

I need to get sirius.

Although, I've listened to a few of them, theyre not anywhere near as funny as the mid 90s.

rounder

TRIBE Member
bah, stern's a sell out

he always used to talk about how much it was all about his listeners and then he went and jumped ship, narrowing his audience but making himself very very rich

if it were all about the listeners he'd still be on "free" radio and struggling to get by on his old salary of 15 mil a year instead of preaching to a select few at 100 mil a year

OTIS

TRIBE Member
He faced pretty heavy fines from the FCC and was arguably a target of their politically motivated campaign to get his style of radio off the air. That was the prime motive for him to move on and not because he was looking to "sell out". That said, I miss the dynamic of his old radio show. Half the funny was him constantly trying to dance around regulations and fighting with the station's manager about what he was allowed to do. The show now is OK, but the unbridled piss and fart thing gets tired quick.

acheron

TRIBE Member
As a fan of Stern's, I'm very happy with how it is now - much more possibiities and he also has the opportunity to bring up radio personalities who've been given the shaft like him - Bubba the Love Sponge and Scot Farrell - two of the best DJs around. Farrell's sports commentary is incredible and Bubba's an incredible conundrum into himself - a left-wing redneck.

Mo Green

TRIBE Member
I'm addicted to the show. I've been an avid listener for about 6 years and think that the move to satellite was the best thing for the show. While I agree with OTIS that the dynamic between Howard and upper management on free radio was classic, on satellite the cast is less hesitant (or worried) to express their opinions, making for some incredibly funny radio.

I truly believe that the argument can be made that Howard Stern is one of the greatest entertainers of all time. He's certainly way ahead of anyone in radio, but who else has entertained millions for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week (4 on satellite) for 20+ years?

rounder

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
He faced pretty heavy fines from the FCC and was arguably a target of their politically motivated campaign to get his style of radio off the air. That was the prime motive for him to move on and not because he was looking to "sell out". That said, I miss the dynamic of his old radio show. Half the funny was him constantly trying to dance around regulations and fighting with the station's manager about what he was allowed to do. The show now is OK, but the unbridled piss and fart thing gets tired quick.
he could have stayed put and fought the fcc...he did it for years...if sirius never came along do you really think howard would be off the air right now? i doubt it

Mo Green

TRIBE Member
rounder said:
he could have stayed put and fought the fcc...he did it for years...if sirius never came along do you really think howard would be off the air right now? i doubt it
I think the issue stems from the Janet Jackson Superbowl incident. After that, the FCC was given the ability to increase their fines, AND fine the individuals as well as the stations. I don't think anyone, no matter how wealthy, would want to be at job where you're constantly worried about getting fined upwards of $250K.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Actually he was fighting the FCC. His broadcast company was paying hundreds of thousands to fight the fines and keep him on board. Then it came down to them risking not getting their broadcasting license renewed through complicated FCC stalling tactics and red tape. The appointment of Michael Powell to the FCC chair and the deciding committee being weighted positively with Bush republicans made it a pointless fight. Couple that with the momentum religious groups got under Bush's America and it wasn't worth it for him. I followed a lot of went on there on air and off because it was an indicator of the changing media landscape in the United States. It was yet another good example of the political class maneuvering federal regulation bodies to align with a specific political agenda. Specifically, it was a very targeted campaign that past fights have paled in comparison to. Not just because it was Howard Stern, but also because everything from the EPA to FEMA to Energy policy, election boards, judiciary, etc were being slowly politicized to reflect the will of the executive branch.

culture

TRIBE Member
He had been talking about a Howard Stern network since the mid 90's. This was his shot at it, plus he was offered a few hundred million to do it. Hes getting old, and I bet the money was big incentive to him.

I don't think the lack of regulations on satellite made the show any better. From the few shows I've seen, it seems to have degraded into much more of a gross-out type humor, and a lot more focus on girls since the Howard Stern On Demand channel needs visual material. Even in the shows prime, my least favorite parts were when they were interviewing girls.

The best part of the show was just Howard, Jackie, Robin, Fred & Billy West sitting in a room talking.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
culture said:
He had been talking about a Howard Stern network since the mid 90's. This was his shot at it, plus he was offered a few hundred million to do it. Hes getting old, and I bet the money was big incentive to him.
That's a lot of money, where did you get that number BTW? And I don't think he would have moved unless there was willingness on his part of course, not to mention the "I'm gonna quit" line was integral shtick on his show, but the deciding factor was the federal boot that was increasingly being pressed on his neck. The wheels that were turning were well beyond his control and he knew another 4 years under Bush could have destroyed his show -especially if his station decided not to legally back him up anymore yet retain ownership over his broadcasting rights (just not broadcast him). That's a vulnerable place to be for someone who pulled in 20 million listeners. His numbers on satellite were just over a 1/3rd of that. That's a huge career risk and I don't think he made the decision on a whim or just because someone threw him enough cash. If he doesn't pull in a certain number, he doesn't get the guests his show is used to and revenue and the 'cache' of the show drops.

culture said:
I don't think the lack of regulations on satellite made the show any better. From the few shows I've seen, it seems to have degraded into much more of a gross-out type humor, and a lot more focus on girls since the Howard Stern On Demand channel needs visual material. Even in the shows prime, my least favorite parts were when they were interviewing girls.

The best part of the show was just Howard, Jackie, Robin, Fred & Billy West sitting in a room talking.
I agree. The radio show was awesome, the E-Channel show was intolerable. If you've seen one stripper disrobe, you've seen them all. Boring. I think the move to satellite brought the show closer to the e-channel model than enhancing the old radio model.

Last edited:

culture

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Operating budget or contract? There's a big difference.
Edited:
January 10, 2007
Happy anniversary Howard Stern - here's $83 million.

That's the cash value of the 22.1 million shares of common stock Sirius Satellite Radio awarded the shock jock for exceeding subscriber growth targets by more than 2 million during his first year on uncensored radio.

Combined with his original five-year, $400 million contract and the $220 million in stock Sirius granted him last January, the value of Stern's total compensation has just topped $700 million.

Not all of that money goes into Stern's pocket, however. It is also used to pay his staff, fund programming and to help pay for his new studio.

In total, Stern has been awarded 56.5 million Sirius shares for meeting subscriber targets - 22.1 million yesterday and 34.375 million last year.

Though Stern isn't required to report his holding to the SEC, a Sirius filing yesterday noted that he currently holds 39 million shares, meaning he's sold 17 million shares on the open market.

Full Article:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01102007/business/howard_sterns_pay_hits_700m__sirius_ly_business_peter_lauria.htm

Caz

TRIBE Member
culture said:
im addicted.

I have almost every Howard Stern show recorded from 1990 to 2006. I listen to his old shows all day everyday at work.

I need to get sirius.

Although, I've listened to a few of them, theyre not anywhere near as funny as the mid 90s.
holy crapolla. Any chance you can make some of them available for download here?

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
I can't go through a day without Howard Stern in the morning. I love now that he talks on satellite radio like most people talk with their friends and such. He can express himself freely now which makes it so much more funny.
My mom loves him but my dad doesn't. Howard Stern isn't for everyone I guess. Nobody can be compared to what he does on a daily basis for the last 20+ years.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I LOVE that segment. I need the whole thing.

And Acheron, what is the deal with Elegant Elliot Offen's tragic accident? Did he mow down someone's grandmother? That's the impression I got.