• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How to stop someone from ruining our Politics Forum

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Good afternoon,

over the past two weeks there has been an individual--whose name is known to all of us--who has been polluting and spamming our forum with plagerised propaganda. He has been asked to suspend this behavior on countless occasions, but is so demented in his desperate need for attention that he continues to aggravate us. The more he is challenged and proven wrong by everyone, the more he persists. There isn't a single regular member in this sub-forum who has not told him off and pointed out that his information is worthless and utterly illogical.

Furthermore, this individual has been kicked off of other forums for doing the exact same thing. And now he has moved to Tribe to spam us with the same garbage.

The only way to stop this individual is to completely and totally boycott his threads and posts. Either we can all put him on our ignore lists, or just practice some self restraint, which is difficult considering his extremely enthusiastic ignorance and lack of integrity.

I ask that you please stop encouraging this individual because he really is ruining this forum. People here are interested in thorough and proper debate, while he is only interested in flooding the forum with other peoples' propaganda. All the information he posts is palgerised from other sites, forums and sources--those places may be paying him and others to disseminate this garbage.

Please take a stand and practice some restraint so we can rid the forum of this menace.

Thank you,
Dan.

Last edited:

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I don't understand why d just doesn't ban him.

wait, I don't understand why he won't ban me either.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I think we have to appreciate alexd giving absolutely everyone a very fair chance at all times. Past experiences on other boards and forums don't necessarily reflect how someone will behave on tribe.

I have used the ignore function in past. Currently it was blank since the board switched over. I hate to do it but I find myself to tempted to respond so I will do it again.

That said my approach to this yesterday was inappropriate and caused alexd to have to act like a babysitter and delete threads. For this I apologies (once again) to alexd for creating work and forcing him to deal with my crap.

Sorry D

~atp~

TRIBE Member
The answer is even simpler. Let them post whatever it is they would like to post, and in response, address the content of that post; once the content turns silly, stop posting.

It's really simple.

No need to post about otters, or other ad hominem bullshit. Just stick to the subject at hand, and when you've had enough, leave.

-k

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I think we have to appreciate alexd giving absolutely everyone a very fair chance at all times. Past experiences on other boards and forums don't necessarily reflect how someone will behave on tribe.

I have used the ignore function in past. Currently it was blank since the board switched over. I hate to do it but I find myself to tempted to respond so I will do it again.

That said my approach to this yesterday was inappropriate and caused alexd to have to act like a babysitter and delete threads. For this I apologies (once again) to alexd for creating work and forcing him to deal with my crap.

Sorry D

Wtf? I thought we where talking about you?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I agree with you ~atp~ however at a certain point we're forever going to be stuck with the topic being bumped back up by this individual.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
The only way to stop this individual is to completely and totally boycott his threads and posts. Either we can all put him on our ignore lists, or just practice some self restraint, which is difficult considering his extremely enthusiastic ignorance and lack of integrity.

Please take a stand and practice some restraint so we can rid the forum of this menace.

Agreed. Though it really is difficult, complete ignorance is the only way he'll ever leave. Let him sputter his nonsense to himself for a while and ultimately he'll get bored of falling alone in the forest.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
Agreed. Though it really is difficult, complete ignorance is the only way he'll ever leave. Let him sputter his nonsense to himself for a while and ultimately he'll get bored of falling alone in the forest.

hey, why you guys gotta make fun,
im just doing what i can to keep things light and topical...like boxed wine!:D

Dialog

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
The answer is even simpler. Let them post whatever it is they would like to post, and in response, address the content of that post; once the content turns silly, stop posting.

It's really simple.

No need to post about otters, or other ad hominem bullshit. Just stick to the subject at hand, and when you've had enough, leave.

-k

agreed

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:

It's really simple.

-k

I promise that whatever rumblings you might here, none of them are atack choppers or bulldozers!

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
SellyCat, banning someone because their opinion is different than yours is really childish and immature. You might think he is spreading propaganda and lies, but that is your OPINION, however valid you think it is. I actually like the posts he puts up, although some are a little bombastic in nature, at least he gets the ball moving on interesting topics. That is, until you and others start acting childish and start posting pictures of irrelevant stuff. I think it would be more productive to actually take on the subject rather than resorting to name calling and insulting ones intelligence. Why is it that when someone has a difference of opinion, all the sudden that means they are a retard?

Some people like to believe the official story, some have their own alternatives, nothing wrong with that. I think one deserves to be banned if they are posting hate propoganda (racist, homophobic, sexist), but I see nothing even close to that being posted. So please, stop trying to have some ownership of this forum, and try cutting down the name calling and mudslinging to a minimum, although I doubt you'll listen.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
SellyCat, banning someone because their opinion is different than yours is really childish and immature. You might think he is spreading propaganda and lies, but that is your OPINION, however valid you think it is. I actually like the posts he puts up, although some are a little bombastic in nature, at least he gets the ball moving on interesting topics. That is, until you and others start acting childish and start posting pictures of irrelevant stuff.

Slow down there bucko!! Re-read the thread and realize this time that the same people who started acting 'childish' were the ones who tried to engage him in very real conversation. Instead of answering questions or talking about the thread he had created he only fired acusations and posted the same info in multiple threads. This is classically reffered to as trolling, especially when you do the exact same thing on MANY different message boards and forums.

We resorted to childish pictures of otters and beavers very late into a thread when it was already VERY clear that this person had no intent of discussing anything and was simply posting the exact same things he posted on MANY other message boards.

I think it would be more productive to actually take on the subject rather than resorting to name calling and insulting ones intelligence. Why is it that when someone has a difference of opinion, all the sudden that means they are a retard?

We really did! however each time we discussed the topic at hand all he did was posted the same things over without ever attempting to answer anyone’s questions or critiques. This isn't a matter of difference of opinion, lord knows I have many differences of opinion with people on this board every single day. This is more a question of do we have a troll who is bating us into stupidity for his own amusement rather than trying to participate in a forum.

His track record of being banned on EVERY single message board he touches speaks towards our argument that this individual is nothing but a spammer.

Some people like to believe the official story, some have their own alternatives, nothing wrong with that.

We all agree on this!

I think one deserves to be banned if they are posting hate propoganda (racist, homophobic, sexist), but I see nothing even close to that being posted. So please, stop trying to have some ownership of this forum, and try cutting down the name calling and mudslinging to a minimum, although I doubt you'll listen.

We're listening!

And again I apologies for the mudslinging. However a troll is a troll and I don't feel the need to entertain this one.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...ned&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=345668&forumid=66&perpage=12&pagenumber=4
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/maillists/archives/anti-spam-wg/2003/msg00231.html

This guy has a fairly long history of acting in a specific manor. He is not doing this to discuss the topic he simply enjoys the attention and to bait people not in discussion but to bump his own thread to feed his delusions of grandeur.

Personally I want the guy gone, nothing to do with the content of his posts, but because he's a troll who has no interest in discussion and is simply playing us for saps as part of his personal entertainment.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I agree with the use of the ignore function, both in the software and in your personal decisions about whether to click on the threads. If it has become clear that there's no debating with these posters on an intellectual level (if there is anything more than a one-sided debate to begin with), then ignore it.

When you post in their threads, they get bumped. However, it might be worth reporting when they bump their own threads with "recaps" of the information that is already available.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
1. SellyCat, banning someone because their opinion is different than yours is really childish and immature.

2.I think it would be more productive to actually take on the subject rather than resorting to name calling and insulting ones intelligence.

1. Questionable reading comprehension skills #1: nowhere in this thread did SellyCat ask to have the guy banned. He simply expressed a wish (that many of us have) to have this ignorant lunatic removed. Accepting that he can't do that, he simply suggested that the guy be ignored and/or boycotted.

2. Questionable reading comprehension skills #2: if you took more than a cursory glance in the thread, you'd observe that many people, on many occasions, attempted to engage the guy on the subject at hand. Intelligent questions were posed, as well as genuine attempts to answer him. The guy is a piece of crap who exists here solely to instigate, lie and antagonize. He is worthy of nothing but contempt and scorn and yet was treated appropriately - at least initially, until his intentions became painfully obvious.

Your post is well-intentioned and otherwise admirable. But not in this case....not for this guy.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
man_slut said:
s'hwat ogign ? no

ho otn ttah ch,mu sosB gHo nda ta~p~ rae tslil ngcliki ceha heotrs aoehlsss, em nad ycslaelt rae lkinicg ehac tsoher aoehlsss, 416 si na aoehlss dan a2clnpay si lkinicg shi aoehlsss, solgrabber si a ckdi heveowr nad na aoehlsss dna a umbenr fo su nwat mih geon.

(my lord it reads like fucking dutch)

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
ho otn ttah ch,mu sosB gHo nda ta~p~ rae tslil ngcliki ceha heotrs aoehlsss, em nad ycslaelt rae lkinicg ehac tsoher aoehlsss, 416 si na aoehlss dan a2clnpay si lkinicg shi aoehlsss, solgrabber si a ckdi heveowr nad na aoehlsss dna a umbenr fo su nwat mih geon.

holy shit he's having a stroke.

do they have 911 in nebraska?