• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How to set up an HD OTA antenna to get free HD TV in Toronto

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I use USunblock to get jays games via MLBTV on the PS3. Plus you get the US Netflicks etc... which is awesome. I had no idea the US version was that much better.

I use thefirstrow.eu for all other sports. Soccer quality is the best but for a free service, I have no issues watching the Leafs on it. Its not the best but hey its free and you can get UFC off off it as well.

I'm at Danforth and Coxwell and my antenna points due south and I rack up 26 channels. Fox baseball on the weekend is great same for NASCAR (yes I love NASCAR). Golf on the HD Antenna is an absloute marvel. IMO its the best of the bunch. The picture quality is just awesome. Sat night hockey on CBC is really nice to watch too.

Plus the CW! Great station.
all great points. wiziwig is also another great website for sports

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Lot of talk from a guy who doesn't even have an antenna yet :p
LOL, I had an indoor that pull huge channels at our old place for years. Sadly didn't work at the new place.

BTW the new antenna is installed the initial scan pulled 24 channels, we get everything even some bible channels in the 20's

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
so the either the 850 or 950 and an antenna and you are golden? I live in Grimsby just below the escarpment. Has anyone heard if this is a bad or good area.

I'm just finishing the basement downstairs as a games room and I'm thinking (strongly) of doing what you guys are. If I even get 10 channels I'll be happy. I just don't want another cable box.

Aaron

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
if you're rocking an antenna you may want to scan again. I just did and I get 46 channels now! that basically doubled what i had yesterday. Its more like 38 when you take out the SD feeds.

Sweet!

lobo

TRIBE Member
I think what you're experiencing is tropospheric conditions where you're able to pick up channels from very far places it doesn't usually last for long.

Lobo

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
For some of the channels for sure. I do like the Bounce channel though. CB4 was playing all weekend. It seems to be the most stable since I rescanned and hasn't cut away like the other ones do. I don't mind as the majority are religious channels. However a great new kids channel comes in great and is still around, much to my kids delight.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
For some of the channels for sure. I do like the Bounce channel though. CB4 was playing all weekend. It seems to be the most stable since I rescanned and hasn't cut away like the other ones do. I don't mind as the majority are religious channels. However a great new kids channel comes in great and is still around, much to my kids delight.
A-RC4 thanks I did a rescan and while it didn't give me much it did provide me with bounce and the ion channels that i couldn't pick up before, I have the jesus channels (26 range) already but have them hidden as they really don't have any content i want to watch

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Alexd - love the new thread title!

For a minute I was like "hey wait I posted in this thread?"
THere is a lot of great information and tips in this thread. THe name change will let people who are looking for it on the internets find it easier!

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I bought an HDTV antenna from CanadaComputers (RCA ANT 1650) which got me about 13 channels when using the antenna on my top floor. As soon as I took it to the main floor or the basement, it almost had no HDTV channels. My complex is a bit of a cement mess if you know what I mean...

Interestingly, that same day in the dollar store I saw that they had HD antennas. Even more interestingly it was also an RCA antenna (RCA ANT 1050). It cost $3 and got me just 1 less channel than the other one...

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I always take down my antenna during big storms. I have it installed on my roof with a 2" 9 foot pvc pipe as the pole, but I do have a solid tripod though. Its been about two or three years with no problem. .....

It broke last night and when I got home from work today I fixed it.

The pipe broke right where it exits the top of the tripod and smashed the antenna good when it came down. (this would explain the big bang that woke me up last night.)

I was upset because I didn't think the antenna would work anymore , but I set it back and it WORKS!

Couldn't believe it. But now I have an ugly ass antenna, the antenna looks like shit, but you can't see it from the street anymore so that's good.