1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How to set up an HD OTA antenna to get free HD TV in Toronto

Discussion in 'Technology' started by beaker, Jun 19, 2007.

1. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

\
    This is the one that I got based on MOD ONE's recommendation. Its been a great antenna. So no complaints.

2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Another vote for the Clearstream 2. It's fantastic.

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Grenginhali, is yours a Clearstream 2?

it sounds like something that makes you piss clean. -_-

4. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Why not hook it up to a Windows 7 Media Center setup? MC7 is one of the best PVRs out there.

Lobo

5. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

It's the frequencies that are used by Rogers that's the problem. They overlap with the OTA ones. If you don't plan on using Rogers for cable tv, then you can use the existing wiring for your OTA connection.

Lobo

6. glych t.anomaly

never thought of that, i dont really leave my PC on when im not home though.

and dont have anything else to run it off of currently. it would be purely used to maybe watch the News, or to like click through the channels to see whats on the odd time that would happen ( very rare methinks )

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

8. Bernnie Federko

9. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Nope, its a chinatown special. Before you shake your head, i have had the same one installed on my roof and have had 25 channels of HD pumping into my house no problem. I amid it between the CN tower and Buffalo and it picked up the US channels with ease. The bonus of buying the china town model is if it gets ruined, your not out of pocket to go slap another one up.
    Let me know if your interested.

10. glych t.anomaly

where do you live? wondering if my location would matter much as im up near O'Connor and St.Clair East, but have a clear unobstructed view point towards the CN Tower.

11. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I was at Christie and Bloor. But I think your location would be the same, look at the CN Tower and look a little East and you see Buffalo.

I was going to sink the money into the more expensive antennas, then i saw the antenna for 25 bucks sitting there. I think the 100 ft. cable cost more. I slapped it up on the roof and bam there was the channels. I actually never adjusted the antenna for two winters and it kept on ticking. It might just do the trick for people living in the "downtown" toronto area.

12. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I use two of these in my HTPC so I can record one show and watch another or record two shows at the same time. Works great for me.

Lobo

13. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

A buddy of mine uses his laptop to do the same....assuming you'd want to watch the local news on your laptop. But hey, if it's just to casually watch something why not? :)

Lobo

14. glych t.anomaly

oh no i mean i could easily just jack the Coaxl into my TV from the HD antenna no
    ?

i wouldnt be watching the news on my laptop hahahahahahaha, i dont leave my PC on when im not using it so that its not using electricity.

15. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Oh yeah for sure. Take the coax cable from the antenna and plug that right into your TV. Assuming it's a fairly modern TV with an ATSC tuner, it should work fine to pickup OTA digital channels. The analogue channels were switched off 1.5 years ago but that's only a concern for those with an NTSC tuner only in their (older) TVs.

Lobo

16. glych t.anomaly

Yeah its got an ATSC tuner, it was the main reason i started looking into this but both my previous residences were not in ideal locations for the antenna to point towards the CN tower as line of sight because of houses etc in the way, or a high enough spot to mount the antenna as well.

so now it might just be worthwhile !

17. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Plus, if you live in the city, a lot of times you can just pick up ALL of the local stations just because the signals surround you. It's only when it comes to getting the Buffalo stations that you really need to have line of sight. CBC is a good example of a channel that you can probably pick up by having the antenna in a closet! :)

Lobo

18. Bernnie Federko

After running cable, antenna, and IpTV in parallel for five months, today was the day was the day I called to cancel with Rogers.

Felt good, man.

19. Aaron Bradley

Aaron Bradley TRIBE Promoter

So the atenna is so good that you could cancel your service? How many channels do you get and where are you living (general)

AB

20. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Thanks Bernie and Mod1, based on your experiences I have decommissioned my indoor OTA and will be using the Clearstream 2 come Saturday.

I should get between 18-25 channels and will report back :D

21. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Good luck with that!!!

If you like just basic channels then the antenna should work for you. I'm not much into sports so missing the TSNs and sportnet is not a big concern for me.

I think the only channel I miss is the food channel lol.

22. Bernnie Federko

Yeah, IMHO having the antenna get me uncompressed HD for the major networks etc, plus the proxy, plus the Web content of ROKU or Apple Tv providing hockey, baseball, hulu plus, and Netflix, works.

The key was selling my partner, which took 10 minutes.

PS we live in East York.

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

did he object at first?:D

24. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

How do you get baseball and hockey? Do you subscribe to center ice and MLB at bat or whatever?

25. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I use USunblock to get jays games via MLBTV on the PS3. Plus you get the US Netflicks etc... which is awesome. I had no idea the US version was that much better.

I use thefirstrow.eu for all other sports. Soccer quality is the best but for a free service, I have no issues watching the Leafs on it. Its not the best but hey its free and you can get UFC off off it as well.

I'm at Danforth and Coxwell and my antenna points due south and I rack up 26 channels. Fox baseball on the weekend is great same for NASCAR (yes I love NASCAR). Golf on the HD Antenna is an absloute marvel. IMO its the best of the bunch. The picture quality is just awesome. Sat night hockey on CBC is really nice to watch too.

Plus the CW! Great station.