1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How to set up an HD OTA antenna to get free HD TV in Toronto

Discussion in 'Technology' started by beaker, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I checked with the antenna guy, says Toronto is still fine for CBC.

Install scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

Shall report back on the recurrence and outcome. Here's hoping it's all bacon x

2. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

FWIW if i set my antenna up in my "new" place CBC is the *only* channel I get (due to its signal strength)....

3. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I'm in the east end and when I had my antenna just in my front window on the main level I would still get about 5 channels including CBC.

4. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I'm up in Woodbridge and when I first set things up the one channel that always showed strong was CBC.

Lobo

5. Bernnie Federko

First impression: Image quality is definitely superior. This eagles cowboys game is immediately alluring to look at.

Initial channel scan got us nearly everything we hoped to get, 25'ish channels. The guys who installed it mentioned we'll want to do another scan on a clear day to set the reception to pull down CBS. Since we get Global, this isn't a big deal, IMHO.

Overall, I'm pleased with the installation guys, the service, and the equipment. If anything changes, I'll make mention of it here. Thanks for the recommendation of www.thehdantennaguys.com

Now to call Rogers and return this cable box...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  6. Bernnie Federko

Re: CBC - We get both English & Francophone.

7. Bernnie Federko

8. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

It's amazing how much you actual save when you start adding the years up that you've been with any major cable company. Most people on average pay $60+ a month. That's $720 plus tax $813.60 which would equal $9,763.20 a year of your hard earn money... that's fucked up!!!

Now add that number by 5 years or even more depending on how long you had cable for... I know it was a very long time for me. That would brings the total to $48,816. When I started doing the math I new I had no choice but to ditch cable. It has freed up a lot more money to save for more important things.

Also when you add in Netflix (USA) version you pretty much can get enough entertainment to make me happy at least. Also I find if I really want to watch things like Walking Dead I can buy it from the PSN store for $2.49 per episode. You can also torrent it if you're a cheap bastard lol... JK BTW!!!

I did actually hold off on season 2 of the walking dead till it went on Netflix, but couldn't resists with season 3. First episode was awesome!!!

9. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

big reason you're seeing that was that game was IIRC that game was on fox, which broadcasts in native 720p. problem canadian cableco customers get is that CTV (or whoever bought the rights to show the game in canada) takes that 720p fox feed, puts their own ads and channel ID logo, converts it to 1080i and broadcasts it, and that conversion sucks donkey nuts.

when you watch OTA from buffalo you're getting the original 720p feed. there are rare times when you can see a fox game in native 720 on fox and scaled 1080i on CTV or TSN or whatever. the difference couldnt be more blatant

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

60 a month plus tax doesn't come out at $9763.20 a year.

In our case, getting rid of Bell ExpressVu, saved us around $1200 a year. That's awesome in and of itself.

11. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

yes more like $813.60 lol... I had a vape session when I did that math lol. Anyways it's safe to say Rogers and Bell are a rip off.

12. Bernnie Federko

Did a channel scan thus morning before the cloud set in, and secured the CBS feed. I continue to be impressed.

Now I need a legit Canadian offer of the NFL RedZone online, and I'm rolling.

13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

dude, don't blame the drugs. you just suck at math.

14. Bernnie Federko

bewm, r0a$ted!

15. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

You could tell derek likes to kick people when their down... Fuck you derek!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  16. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Also my main objective was completed I can take it that I suck at math. The revolution of taking down cable one person at a time.

17. Bernnie Federko

In this instance, The revolution will be televised, as it were. Just not on cable...

/Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

18. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I did a scan the other day and I now get 31 OTA channels and when you take out the SD ones its about 27. I've picked up about 6 new channels.

19. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

THIS! Times 10. I want to utilize the existing cable network currently supplying coaxial connections to all of the bedrooms in our house. But is there a bleeding signal problem with Digital OTA just like analog? As in: the signal quality is compromised by an overly complex network of coaxial?

I remember when we'd use co-axial as the antennae for analog OTA, one open end on the cable meant lost of bleeding & capture of RF noise. I had hoped I could buy an antenna, put it on the roof, and splice into the existing hub by cracking the grey cable box open on the outside wall.

20. Bernnie Federko

I asked the HD antenna guys about this when they were installing our config last fall. They said that you will need an amplifier/repeater.

Sorry I don't have additional information...

21. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

That's very helpful, actually!

22. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Man my new place is PRIME for a OTA HD Digital Antenna, i can point that shit straight downtown with NOTHING in my way...

i think i may do this up this year.

hah

it will be so weird to have TV that you cant pause.

23. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Just a heads up, I have an extra OTA antenna and 100 feet of co-axial cable. If your interested in setting up a system. Ill sell it to ya for 40 bucks.

24. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

[joe rogan]Powerful Antenna[/joe rogan]

25. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

So april 5 they're coming to put on a new roof, I've been waiting for this to get done since we moved as I want the antenna on my chimney.

Any suggestions for an antenna (make model)? everyone always used to say Channel master were the best ones is that still the case?