1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How to Self-Ground Technics 1200's

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by DJ Bolivia, Mar 8, 2010.

1. DJ Bolivia

DJ Bolivia TRIBE Member

Hey everyone,

Fred Bisnette, aka. DJ Nexus6ix and I just filmed a little tutorial for anyone who is interested in PROPERLY ditching the grounding wire on any Technics 1200 turntables, so you don’t have to plug that grounding wire into the back of the mixer to avoid the hum from your cartridges. There are a number of videos out there on YouTube already, but many of them do it slightly incorrectly by grounding to the wrong spots, so the mod isn’t useful in all cartridge options.

It’s pretty long, about 45 minutes in total, so I had to split it up into five videos. But it is not a hard process if you’re comfortable with a screwdriver and a soldering iron. If you’ve got 1200’s and you’ve been thinking about this modification, check out the videos. Of course, this might be "beating a dead horse" since so many people have switched to CDJ's, but whatever. There is still a lot of vinyl out there.

YouTube - How to Self-Ground Technics 1200 Turntables, Part 1/5
    YouTube - How to Self-Ground Technics 1200 Turntables, Part 2/5
    YouTube - How to Self-Ground Technics 1200 Turntables, Part 3/5
    YouTube - How to Self-Ground Technics 1200 Turntables, Part 4/5
    YouTube - How to Self-Ground Technics 1200 Turntables, Part 5/5

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i don't mean to be a jackass when i ask this - i only ask because i don't know a lot of this technical stuff.. -- what's wrong with just using the grounding ports on the mixer anyway? a hack like me never had a problem..

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya me neither - but this can be useful especially if your cables are messed up and you're left with bare wires at the end, which slip out a lot easier than the little connector thingeys..

A buddy had his self-grounded "professionally" but there musta been an issue cause serato setups had no end of trouble until he undid the self-grounding...

I doubt this is an issue with all such attempts, they just messed his up.

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

No I've heard there are problems with Serato and a internally grounded setup.

Although that doesn't make sense to me.

5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i have seen this done on numerous sets of decks. it always kind of is less than awesome

6. DJ Bolivia

DJ Bolivia TRIBE Member

Grounding ports on the mixer are usually no problem. I think a bigger problem is that so many times someone will rip the end off their grounding wire or it gets frayed away with constant moving around, so the ground wire gets shortened by an inch or two. After that's happened a dozen times, suddenly your ground doesn't reach the mixer anymore. So in situations where your decks are being moved around constantly (promoters), it makes far more sense to self-ground, whereas if you've got a home setup or permanent installation in a good club, I wouldn't recommend playing with the wires.

Another situation which is sometimes an issue again relates to portable tables, when you're trying to set up decks quickly in the middle of a show or festival. Trying to ground two or three decks to a single grounding screw while another DJ is playing, without touching wires and creating sound pops during the set, is tricky. Again, the promoters should have planned for this in advance if it's a professional event, but that's definitely not always the case.

The biggest problem with self-grounding, in my mind, is that a lot of people don't know how to do it correctly. They'll pair the ground wire and go to two posts and turn their decks into mono output. Or equally stupid things.

So in the end, don't do it unless you've been in situations where you already had wished they were already self-grounded. Self-grounding just for the sake of self-grounding is not a valid reason. Self-grounding because of other "convenience issues" makes sense.