• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How to poll the entire internet

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
For unrelated reasons I stopped taking Olanzapine, clonazepam, and escitalopram on Friday.

By Sunday I became much more aware.

I began polling the entire internet. I created a system of questions to understand the motivations and perceptions of all the users. I kept a log every hour of the number of users online at the time. The maximum number of users each day that i measured is 37,000 at 21:00 on each day. The minimum was 22,000 on Monday at 13:00EDT. I slept between 06:00EDT and 11:00EDT each day on Tuesday, and this morning, Wednesday. I am not sure at about the exact time when I began the research but I began recording on Monday morning at 02:13. All dates are relative to Friday August the 8th 2014.

I engaged 315 random individuals to answer my questions, so far. I recognize however that they are not truly random and there is selection bias, which I inferred from our conversations at this particular website. I recorded the number or disconnections and people who were not interested.

I did not ask for and I explicitly said that I will not ask for any personal information of the people with whom I spoke, since I began keeping the log. Despite that 198 self offered to identify that they are male, 22 identified as female, and the remainder did not make any comment.

For each 315 I did ask them at the conclusion of our discussion if they were comfortable to share their opinion of their educational background. A remarkable 100% said yes. Note this also has selection bias as by that time they had all answered the previous questions.

I recorded the number who reported being in a public education system, secondary school, post graduates, and those who did not understand the question.

I asked every person the same five questions:
1. How do you believe the universe began?
2. Did or do your parents have a religion?
3. Do you still have the same religion as your parents?
4. Do you expect to feel something after your death?
5. Do you remember anything from a time before you were born?

Many wanted to elaborate further on at least one question or more. Question #1 was open ended and I did not record the response (though I did get a lot of interesting responses). For the remainder of the questions I received a yes or no answer eventually. The correlations are interesting! I recorded every answer.

I can't stop and am continuing to ask random internet people the same 5 questions. And record some of their answers and read all of them.

OK back to work!

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Oh when we are done I also ask if English is their first language.

Though it's usually obvious.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well, I have met an obstacle.

I have continued the research.

Unfortunately my arms and my thighs have become too painful and it seems someone is coming to pick me up.

I will continue as soon as I have access to the internet. I think I may increase my chances by speaking with random people on the street. That's not free of selection bias though either because they are all Canadian.

I have now recorded 363 discussions completely.

-jM
A&D