• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How to Minimize Outlook to the System Tray...

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I liked this so much, I though I would share... I am using Outlook XP (2002). Part of Office XP.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: MinToTray
Setting for Value Data: [0 = Disabled / 1 = Enabled]
Exit Registry and Reboot

I dont believe this works for anything but Outlook 2002.
Enjoy.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alcid
no worky Outlook 2000. :(
I know... I just came to that conclusion myself. Now I'm gonna be really pissed every day cuz I never really realized that Outlook BELONGS in the system tray, and I can't do it.

I could beg for my company to get us Outlook 2002, but somehow I doubt that a company that is downgrading us from Win2000 to NT4 will splurge on licenses for OfficeXP.

I hate this place.

alcid

TRIBE Member
downgrading? what's the point of that?

I'm the only one in my office on a PC (damn designers), so I get last priority when it comes to new software etc...

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alcid
downgrading? what's the point of that?
The company I work for had a partnership with another company in the past. The relationship has recently disintegrated, but the Win2000 licenses we had belonged to our ex-partner.

This place is too fucking cheap to pay for its own Win2000 licenses, and (not surprisingly) found WinNT licenses for super cheap. So, we are on our way back to 1996.

What makes me laugh is that I'm a software developer in the organization, and I write apps for clients running Win2000/XP. The entire development team is getting downgraded, while the administration staff is scrounging up enough money for themselves to get Win2000 licenses. Why? Cuz they "don't like the look & feel of NT". But they refuse to find the money for those of us who actually need it.

Admin staff gets all the new hardware too, we get their hand-me-downs. Why the office secretary needs a P4 to use Outlook, Word, & Excel doesn't make sense, especially when the devs are still stuck on P3/500's running NT and trying to work in .NET development.

What's the point of THAT? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread. This is really pissing me off. Please resume normal banter. ..

Unless anybody cares to sympathize with me?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaftPunky

Unless anybody cares to sympathize with me?
I'm there with you!!!

I went out and bought my own fucking ram and hard drive because somebody believes I can run a Java IDE with 128 megs of ram. I mean fuck I spend more than the ram costed on cabs last month and they had no issues with that.

PIII - 733 with 8 gigs of hard drive space. Who the fuck are we kidding my monitor is better than my computer at work and I'm one of the lucky ones!!!

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
Who the fuck are we kidding my monitor is better than my computer at work and I'm one of the lucky ones!!!
Well, that made me look on the bright side a bit. I have my choice of monitors everyday, either a really nice 19 or a pretty decent 21.

I find myself using the 19 most often, unless I'm gonna have a day full of debugging. Then its time to switch.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I spent all yesterday re-installing WinXP and OfficeXP, I had problems with my SCSI adapter.

Anyways, this was the first thing I looked for this morning, because I was sick of having outlook run in the taskbar.

Im very happy this works, but I wonder why its not a standard option. MS can be so stupid sometimes.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
one of my office computers was switched from outlook express to outlook (on a windows 98 pc) and now my canon zoombrowser cannot find a MAPI email client. any suggestions?