• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How to hard boil an egg

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Everyone does it differently, or has different tricks.

Well.. I want to hardboil 10 eggs to keep in the fridge for snacks.

How do you properly do it so it's not to undercooked or too much?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

defazman

TRIBE Member
I don't think you can boil it too much, so just leave it in for 10 minutes or so. Just make sure to place them in the water carefully so you dont crack the shell.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Put them in a pot in a single layer in cold water (enough to cover eggs plus an inch), bring to boil, take them off the heat for like 20 minutes or so.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
I don't think you can boil it too much, so just leave it in for 10 minutes or so. Just make sure to place them in the water carefully so you dont crack the shell.
this is pretty much my egg cooking policy as well.
although I suppose if putting the eggs in the pot and then putting the water in, it would cut down the risk of cracking an egg while dropping it into the boiling water.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Put the egg(s) in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently boil for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and place in cold water immediately (I have a bowl filled with ice water which not only stops the cooking process, but I can handle the eggs much sooner).

If you overcook your eggs, the yolk will develop a greenish outside which, though still tasty and safe to eat, will not look as elegant.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kat

TRIBE Member
bring eggs to room temp (if youre anal about it)

use a pan large enough to give eggs space

add enough cold water to cover by about 1in

bring to boil..cover and remove from heat

hard boil:
leave eggs in hot water for about 20-25 minutes
stir during the first few minutes to centre the yolks

immediately cool under cold water

if youre cutting them up..use a stainless steel knife to prevent discolouration.

hard boiled eggs need at least 20 minutes to cook properly..soft boiled 3-5 minutes.
you should never keep the eggs on the boiling heat, always cover and remove after the water boils. so you never in fact "boil" the egg.

Last edited:

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1
If you overcook your eggs, the yolk will develop a greenish outside which, though still tasty and safe to eat, will not look as elegant.

I didn't know eggs were elegant?

If you overcook them, they get rubbery. That why you take them off the heat - you only bring them up to the top cooking temperature for second then slowly bringing it down (by taking it off the heat).

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Find a pot big enough to hold all of the eggs in a single layer

Put the eggs in the pot and fill the pot with cold water to 1" over the tops of the eggs.

Cover, and bring the water to a boil over high heat

Turn the heat off and leave the eggs in the hot water with the cover still on for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, take a large bowl and fill it with cold water and lots of ice (at least 2 trays worth for 10 eggs)

After the 10mins has passed, remove the eggs from the hot water and place them in the ice water for at least 15 mins. This will stop the cooking and prevent them from overcooking.

To store: After the eggs have cooled, remove them from the water bath and store in a bowl in the fridge covered with plastic wrap.

To make the shells come off easier when its time to use them, soak the cooked egg in a bowl of water for 5mins before peeling.

eatemup

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
b
stir during the first few minutes to centre the yolks

hard boiled eggs need at least 20 minutes to cook properly..

The stirring is a good idea, never tried that but often thought about how one could control where the yolks ended up.

20 mins! I totally disagree. I get perfect hard boiled eggs every time 10 mins after it comes to a boil. Is your 20mins including the time to bring it to a boil?

Cri

TRIBE Member
nothing is worse than thinking you have hard boiled eggs..peeling one..and finding it all runny and mushy inside...

*hurl*

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cri
nothing is worse than thinking you have hard boiled eggs..peeling one..and finding it all runny and mushy inside...

*hurl*

Exactly!

Icky.

I want to make deviled eggs.. but that's a whole adventure withing itself.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I just rediscovered boiled eggs, so easy to snack on and healthier than frying :)

I just put mine in cold water with about an inch water on top, bring to a boil, let them bubble on medium heat for about 8 minutes, run cold water over them.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Maybe I should go pick up some bacon to make egg sammiches or something.

MMM.. And I can make bacon bits and keep em in the fridge for salads.

Nothing beats real bacon in a salad.

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
The stirring is a good idea, never tried that but often thought about how one could control where the yolks ended up.

20 mins! I totally disagree. I get perfect hard boiled eggs every time 10 mins after it comes to a boil. Is your 20mins including the time to bring it to a boil?

maybe youre using more water than me?

i only do a couple at a time, so i use a teeny pot
10 minutes is not enough!

im going to make soft boiled eggs now..oh yes..

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
hard-boiled eggs are dead simple. It's soft-boiling that brings out the skilled, and the also-rans/never-wills

gotta separate the wheat