• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How-To Guide: Growing Techno in Toronto

why not

TRIBE Member
musork said:
but using words like INTRINSICALLY PART OF IT do say that its of equal importance
no it doesn't.
"part of" /= "equal importance"

musork said:
and if that was the case then why would any one be intersted in buying a record which is audio recorded art... no visual involved in the listening process of this...
why do so many people cite the packaging as one of the things they miss about vinyl?
why do people bother designing album covers?
why do people buy concert DVDs?
why do people buy video DVDs?
why do bands have websites?
why do you even know that captain beefheart has a moustache if you only care about the actual audio?

musork said:
any how ive seen you argue your point to death in this and other threads Im not overly interested in flogging this subject even more to death especually since your arugments never change on the subject...and nor will mine... ;)
either i'm really bad at expressing myself in writing, or you haven't actually been paying attention to what i'm saying, as you're constantly arguing with things that i haven't said.

and while you may be proud that you don't change your opinions, mine are much more fluid than that. i know that in regards to the nature of performance i've held various positions over the years.

why not

TRIBE Member
i thought i'd put this in it's own post, as it's not directed at naw:

i was thinking the other day about some quote from some 60s avant garde composer about his daughter being asked what kind of musician her father was and she responded "he plays the tape machine" (which is how a lot of early electronic music was made).

in many ways, that's still what electronic music is - people playing recordings.
whether it's a DJ mixing records, a live PA manipulating samples - it's still basically "playing the tape machine".

even if you're using synths and drum machines, you're still using a sequencer 98% of the time, which is basically a type of tape machine (or more like a player piano).

i think this is one of the reasons many audiences are suspicious of electronic performance - since by it's nature it involves "just pressing play" at some level, one can't help but wonder just how much of it is live, and whether they're being "tricked" ala milli vanilli.
i don't think that's fair, but unless you make the performance of electronic music transparent to some degree, you're going to encounter that.