• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How-To Guide: Growing Techno in Toronto

why not

TRIBE Member
musork said:
well maybe I see it that way because my own live shows are 100 percent improvised and 99 percent of the artists I book or play shows with are improvising (news flash you dont have to be a jazz musican to improvise - much of the laptop music today is improvised on some sort of level if not compleatly)

jazz was an example of the level of improvisation that i meant, but i would put the kind of stuff you do in with that too.
unfortunately, it is harder to get that feeling of danger and immediacy with a laptop as most in the room won't really realise how much of the music is actually being made in front of them and not just played back.

i've always liked the idea of sending the performer's laptop screen into a projector or something so that the geeks can follow along, and so that the non-geeks can start to understand just how much you're actually doing. (i know that a few people have done this before)

maybe it seems like a minor thing, but i really think that a big part of what people get from performance is the sense of some kind of subtle interplay and connection between the artist and everyone in the room.
when you're listening to a jazz band, you and everyone in the room knows that what happened next hasn't been planned, and there's a real excitement in that feeling.
it's very hard to get that across when your 'instrument' is hidden (ie. your laptop).

JK

TRIBE Promoter
why not said:
jazz was an example of the level of improvisation that i meant, but i would put the kind of stuff you do in with that too.
unfortunately, it is harder to get that feeling of danger and immediacy with a laptop as most in the room won't really realise how much of the music is actually being made in front of them and not just played back.

i've always liked the idea of sending the performer's laptop screen into a projector or something so that the geeks can follow along, and so that the non-geeks can start to understand just how much you're actually doing. (i know that a few people have done this before)

maybe it seems like a minor thing, but i really think that a big part of what people get from performance is the sense of some kind of subtle interplay and connection between the artist and everyone in the room.
when you're listening to a jazz band, you and everyone in the room knows that what happened next hasn't been planned, and there's a real excitement in that feeling.
it's very hard to get that across when your 'instrument' is hidden (ie. your laptop).
well said. my thoughts exactly (coming from a jazz musician turned techno fiend :) )

musork

TRIBE Member
why not said:
the ambient ping are now doing internet based broadcasts of live shows instead of their long time weekly club event.
there have been other live performances over the internet in other genres (pop), but i can't see myself wanting to pay for it unless it was something very unique.
its not live they are pre recorded sessions in the artists studio...
then played one time on the internet radio show not archived...

musork

TRIBE Member
why not said:

so when akumu whinces in pain because the pass he was making with his software on his laptop didnt work out as planned you cant tell its an unplanned thing happening?

why not

TRIBE Member
musork said:
so when akumu whinces in pain because the pass he was making with his software on his laptop didnt work out as planned you cant tell its an unplanned thing happening?
how do i know he didn't just fart?

in all seriousness, have you never noticed me and other geeks peering around the edge of the stage trying to see what you're running up there?

on the other hand, i've been to a couple experimental concerts where all the musicians were hidden by a screen so all you could see was their shadows, and that was kind of cool. moodymann did that last time he was in toronto too.
that's a type of showmanship though, in that it's a pretty strong visual (anti)statement.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
I<3Robots said:
what neil said a few pages ago...

and in the future...(verg, this one's for you...)

i want to see it all taken online where a live artist performs and listeners/participants are charged a subscription in a one off way for a specific event (ie a ticket:p). who needs to be confined by a venue or even a city or country? set up and broadcast.

i'm time challenged and quite simply can't make it out. and if i do go out it's because i really need to be there because it's an artist i'm loving at this specific moment in time, not someone that i loved once a long time ago.

give me something to stimulate my ears while i sit at my computer. give me a forum. give me new, now.

ps why should a promoter be confined by a city, region, country, either?

don't think it could work? it's not rocket science.
funny you should say that... I'm in the process of setting something like that up on my site. ;)

its just a matter of time. :D

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
why not said:

snip...
part of why I started my podcast. I think that part of how ppl can come to appreciate techno music is through an understanding of the story and the meaning behind the songs... be it via the technology and how things connect, the myth of the tunes, or even just hearing the artists themselves tell their story.

musork

TRIBE Member
why not said:
how do i know he didn't just fart?

in all seriousness, have you never noticed me and other geeks peering around the edge of the stage trying to see what you're running up there?

on the other hand, i've been to a couple experimental concerts where all the musicians were hidden by a screen so all you could see was their shadows, and that was kind of cool. moodymann did that last time he was in toronto too.
that's a type of showmanship though, in that it's a pretty strong visual (anti)statement.

how do you know captain beefheart just doesnt have heartburn when he wiggels his mustash?
Ive noticed a lot of folks peering around the corner at what Im doing I have no problems with it, I have more of a problem when someone starts tring to have a conversation with me while Im playing live
as for the behind the curtain deal you just showed me your true colors your a VISUAL person which is funny since your a music writter...
you should be doing film, tv and art press not music press as your obviously more intersted in the VISUAL statements being made over any of the AURAL statements being made...

musork

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
Is this what you had in mind?

Gilles Barbier - Concert Autistique

I dont get your point greg...
this is not a concert/live show...
this is an installation peice with music and a poorly exicuted work IMHO
ugly astetic ugly music and a concept flogged to death IMHO

musork

TRIBE Member
vveerrgg said:
musork, sounds like you should be writing reviews on this stuff instead of making it.... ;)

pot = kettle

umm you dont know what I do if you think Im doing stuff like that...

musork

TRIBE Member
tEkKiD said:
i don't think too many folks really care about your "honest" ed opinion Mr.Naw

IMHO

thats fine IMHO I dont care what YHO is and the people that dont care what my IMHO is well that is fine Im not asking for the world to care about MHO it was my reply to gregs post which was a reply to mine BUTTHEAD!!!!

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
i'm razzing you and being a faux hater. :p

but in reality I do like ya... not in a touch you softly sort of way. but in a hey yer cool way.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I like him in a "touch him softly" kind of way... but I worry it'll turn into a "touch him repeatedly and fervently" thing if I ever get to touch him for real...

musork

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
I like him in a "touch him softly" kind of way... but I worry it'll turn into a "touch him repeatedly and fervently" thing if I ever get to touch him for real...

no bad touches allowed... ;)

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
musork said:
I dont get your point greg...
this is not a concert/live show...
this is an installation peice with music and a poorly exicuted work IMHO
ugly astetic ugly music and a concept flogged to death IMHO
It was a play on the way you dichotmized performance into VISUAL and AURAL. I.e. either/or

Shades of grey sir, shades of grey!

why not

TRIBE Member
musork said:
as for the behind the curtain deal you just showed me your true colors your a VISUAL person which is funny since your a music writter...
you should be doing film, tv and art press not music press as your obviously more intersted in the VISUAL statements being made over any of the AURAL statements being made...
c'mon - i carefully have tried to say over and over again that i don't think visual statements are more important than the music, only that they're intrinsically part of it.
it doesn't need to be a black and white thing.
art doesn't happen in a vacuum, and there are layers of meaning in music that do exist outside of the music itself (if that makes any sense). who is making the music, where are they making it, who is listening to it - these things matter, whether you want them to or not.
i respect and understand why you don't want to put on a show, and i agree you probably shouldn't, but i'm sure you have some desire to control whatever the visual component is (projection, dark room, bank of strobes, ect), and you've said as much in this thread (ie. you have a preference for playing in the dark)

musork

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
It was a play on the way you dichotmized performance into VISUAL and AURAL. I.e. either/or

Shades of grey sir, shades of grey!

but that is not how I see it at all you totally missunderstood what I have said
or was tring to say... that music is not about the visual as music is aural/sound based art making and visual art is just that visual its about what you see not hear... sure the two can cross paths but 99 percent of the time one will take precident over the other..... like when you go to see a film its the visual that is the focus the aural just helps the story along...

musork

TRIBE Member
why not said:
c'mon - i carefully have tried to say over and over again that i don't think visual statements are more important than the music, only that they're intrinsically part of it.

but using words like INTRINSICALLY PART OF IT do say that its of equal importance and if that was the case then why would any one be intersted in buying a record which is audio recorded art... no visual involved in the listening process of this... any how ive seen you argue your point to death in this and other threads Im not overly interested in flogging this subject even more to death especually since your arugments never change on the subject...and nor will mine... ;)